Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

PHE Press Release: CLUE (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 of 34 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,249 posts

Posted May 15 2012 - 12:04 PM

THE BODIES AND THE LAUGHS PILE UP AS THE CLASSIC COMEDY-MYSTERY MAKES ITS BLU-RAY™ DEBUT

®

CLUE

Featuring an All-Star Cast, Hilarious Comedy Arrives in High Definition August 7, 2012 with Three Alternate Endings and More

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

HOLLYWOOD, Calif. – Was it Colonel Mustard in the study with a gun?  Miss Scarlet in the billiard room with the rope?  Or did the butler do it?  Prepare for murder, madness, mystery and mayhem as the killer comedy CLUE® makes its Blu-ray debut on August 7, 2012 from Paramount Home Media Distribution.  Based on the world-famous Parker Brothers board game, CLUE® boasts an all-star cast including Tim Curry, Christopher Lloyd, Madeline Kahn, Eileen Brennan, Martin Mull, Michael McKean and Lesley Ann Warren.  When six guests arrive at a strange house they soon discover that they have more in common than they suspected, including the fact that they are all being blackmailed by the mysterious Mr. Boddy.  But when their host turns up dead and the accusations fly, it’s anyone’s guess who done it.  With seven suspects, six weapons, five bodies and three endings, CLUE® is an uproarious mystery that will keep you guessing—and laughing—until the very end.

The CLUE® Blu-ray includes three completely different endings, with an option to watch them all or have them played randomly, as well as the theatrical trailer.

CLUE® Blu-ray

The CLUE® Blu-ray is presented in 1080p high definition with English Mono DTS-HD Master Audio, French Mono Dolby Digital, Spanish Mono Dolby Digital and Portuguese Mono Dolby Digital and English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles.  Bonus features are as follows:

·         Three Alternate Endings

o   Option #1—Show all three endings

o   Option #2—Play a random ending

·         Theatrical Trailer

About Paramount Home Media Distribution

Paramount Home Media Distribution (PHMD) is part of Paramount Pictures Corporation (PPC), a global producer and distributor of filmed entertainment.  PPC is a unit of Viacom (NASDAQ: VIA, VIAB), a leading content company with prominent and respected film, television and digital entertainment brands.  The PHMD division oversees PPC’s home entertainment, digital and television distribution activities worldwide. The division is responsible for the sales, marketing and distribution of home entertainment content on behalf of Paramount Pictures, Paramount Animation, Paramount Vantage, Paramount Classics, Insurge Pictures, MTV, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, CBS and PBS and for providing home entertainment fulfillment services for DreamWorks Animation Home Entertainment.  PHMD additionally manages global licensing of studio content and distribution across worldwide digital and television distribution platforms including online, mobile and portable devices and emerging technologies.

#  #  #

CLUE® Blu-ray

Street Date:                          August 7, 2012

Suggested retail price:            $19.99 U.S.

Runtime:                                94 minutes

U.S. Rating:                            PG

Canadian Rating:                   PG

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 34 ONLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,785 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted May 16 2012 - 03:50 AM

Nice that they have the two options for the ending. I really love the random option. :)
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#3 of 34 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,041 posts

Posted May 16 2012 - 06:58 AM

How did the Clue DVD handle the multiple endings? I was thinking that it allowed the viewer to choose any of the three endings, or the version with all three back-to-back, but I just checked some reviews, and it sounds like I may have been mistaken, and the DVD offered only two options: all three back-to-back, or a single random ending.

#4 of 34 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,173 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 16 2012 - 07:02 AM

How did the Clue DVD handle the multiple endings? I was thinking that it allowed the viewer to choose any of the three endings, or the version with all three back-to-back, but I just checked some reviews, and it sounds like I may have been mistaken, and the DVD offered only two options: all three back-to-back, or a single random ending.

The DVD has the same options as the Blu-ray (the random ending or the all-three-endings).

#5 of 34 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,792 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted May 16 2012 - 07:42 AM

Travis is right.  I just watched the DVD for the first time about 2 weeks ago and chose the back-to-back-to-back ending option.

It kinds stinks the disc isn't getting anything unique in terms of extras, but that's probably to be expected.

#6 of 34 OFFLINE   Escapay

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator

• 239 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Time and Space

Posted May 18 2012 - 01:54 PM

Clue is one of my favorite movies of all time, and I'll definitely be picking this up in August. I'm rather peeved that there's no bonus features beyond what was on the DVD. There's so much potential for what can be included. At the very least, I would have liked the following to have been included: --Director's Commentary with Jonathan Lynn --Making-of Documentary with the surviving cast and crew --A Tribute to Madeline Kahn (who played Mrs. White) --Deleted Scenes (some of which we already see in the trailer) --The infamous fourth ending ([SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]Click here to read it: http://www.cluedofan...urth_ending.htm[/SPOILER] --Clue: Movies, Murders and Mystery (1986 TV Special hosted by Martin Mull, who played Colonel Mustard) I've always loved the option to watch the random endings or the home video version, which plays all three endings back-to-back-to-back. The entire film is encoded as 15 chapters, with the first 14 running 1:18:54. If you select the "Home Video Version" ending, there's no branching done and the movie continues to Chapter 15 ("Trilogy Ending"), which plays all three endings back-to-back-to-back, including the end credits. If you select to view the movie with one of the three theatrical endings, once you reach the end of chapter 14 ("Wadsworth Explains Everything"), the disc will then branch to one of the three endings. It's quite clever how it's done: Wadsworth shuts off the lights and the screen goes black as we hear a few complaints from the characters; when the lights turn back on, it goes to one of the endings. A cool easter egg is to play this option all the way through the end credits. When the movie is over and it returns to the menu screen, highlight the theatrical trailer and press down. You're then taken to a hidden menu screen where you can watch each ending on its own. To provide a breakdown of how long each version of the movie ran: Clue: The Movie - Ending A (1:27:27) --Clue: The Movie (1:18:54) --Ending A (4:58) --Credits (3:35) Clue: The Movie - Ending B (1:27:38) --Clue: The Movie (1:18:54) --Ending B (5:09) --Credits (3:35) Clue: The Movie - Ending C (1:26:15) --Clue: The Movie (1:18:54) --Ending C (3:46) --Credits (3:35) Clue: The Movie - Trilogy Ending (1:36:44) --Clue: The Movie (1:18:54) --Trilogy Ending (14:16) --Credits (3:35) [SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]Ending A is "They All Did It," Ending B is "Miss Scarlett Did It," and Ending C is "Miss Peacock Did It." In the Trilogy version, the ending order is B-C-A. After Ending B plays, there's there's an intertitle that says, "That's how it could have happened." This is followed by, "But how about this?" with Ending C playing. Upon that conclusion, a final intertitle tells us "But here's what really happened" and we go to Ending A and the end credits.[/SPOILER] To be honest, while I grew up with the Trilogy Ending, whenever I watch the film now, I always select the random ending.

#7 of 34 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,249 posts

Posted May 18 2012 - 01:56 PM

Albert,

I am certain the fans feel your pain.  I am amazed how

well you know this film.

I wanted to take this opportunity to welcome you to the forum.

Hope you stick around.  Great group of people here.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#8 of 34 OFFLINE   Escapay

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator

• 239 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Time and Space

Posted May 18 2012 - 02:02 PM

I wanted to take this opportunity to welcome you to the forum. Hope you stick around.  Great group of people here.

Thanks for the welcome! I've been a longtime lurker and forgot I actually created an account here. I love reading a lot of the discussions, but never felt the need to say anything until now. Clue is one of my most-played DVDs, it was one of the first in my collection. :)

#9 of 34 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,330 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted May 18 2012 - 02:10 PM

Isn't it funny - they've apparently licensed out Rosemary's Baby, but Clue - CLUE - that they do.

#10 of 34 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,615 posts

Posted May 18 2012 - 02:19 PM

And why not? (Apart from the lazy DVD up-dump?) It happens to have earned its reputation back with fans after years of cult obscurity and theatrical mis-promotion, to be accepted and even praised for what it is. I don't see movie fans quoting Rosemary's Baby, or doing high-school drama club adaptations of it. :) (And Ruth Gordon got the Supporting Oscar, but Tim Curry deserved one.)

#11 of 34 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,330 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted May 18 2012 - 02:24 PM

Well, we can agree to disagree - I found Clue to be one of the most excruciatingly bad films of all time. And it's box-office performance was certainly, well, tepid would be the nice way of putting it. At the screening I attended, by the end of the film two-thirds of the audience had bailed. :) I think plenty of movie fans can quote from Rosermary's Baby, because it has some of the best dialogue ever. No, Clue is part of a large phenomenon of kids who grew up seeing these 1980s films, LOVING every one of them. I've never seen anything quite like it, actually - how else do you explain The Goonies? :)

#12 of 34 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,173 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 18 2012 - 02:27 PM

Well, we can agree to disagree - I found Clue to be one of the most excruciatingly bad films of all time.

You're a monster. :) I've loved Clue forever but your opinion is the same as nearly all people seem to feel about this movie. However, HTF has a surprisingly large number of Clue fans.

#13 of 34 OFFLINE   NY2LA

NY2LA

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted May 18 2012 - 02:55 PM

Clue is one of my favorite movies of all time, and I'll definitely be picking this up in August. I'm rather peeved that there's no bonus features beyond what was on the DVD. There's so much potential for what can be included. At the very least, I would have liked the following to have been included: --Director's Commentary with Jonathan Lynn --Making-of Documentary with the surviving cast and crew --A Tribute to Madeline Kahn (who played Mrs. White) --Deleted Scenes (some of which we already see in the trailer) --The infamous fourth ending ([SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]Click here to read it: http://www.cluedofan...urth_ending.htm[/SPOILER] --Clue: Movies, Murders and Mystery (1986 TV Special hosted by Martin Mull, who played Colonel Mustard) I've always loved the option to watch the random endings or the home video version, which plays all three endings back-to-back-to-back. The entire film is encoded as 15 chapters, with the first 14 running 1:18:54. If you select the "Home Video Version" ending, there's no branching done and the movie continues to Chapter 15 ("Trilogy Ending"), which plays all three endings back-to-back-to-back, including the end credits. If you select to view the movie with one of the three theatrical endings, once you reach the end of chapter 14 ("Wadsworth Explains Everything"), the disc will then branch to one of the three endings. It's quite clever how it's done: Wadsworth shuts off the lights and the screen goes black as we hear a few complaints from the characters; when the lights turn back on, it goes to one of the endings. A cool easter egg is to play this option all the way through the end credits. When the movie is over and it returns to the menu screen, highlight the theatrical trailer and press down. You're then taken to a hidden menu screen where you can watch each ending on its own. To provide a breakdown of how long each version of the movie ran: Clue: The Movie - Ending A (1:27:27) --Clue: The Movie (1:18:54) --Ending A (4:58) --Credits (3:35) Clue: The Movie - Ending B (1:27:38) --Clue: The Movie (1:18:54) --Ending B (5:09) --Credits (3:35) Clue: The Movie - Ending C (1:26:15) --Clue: The Movie (1:18:54) --Ending C (3:46) --Credits (3:35) Clue: The Movie - Trilogy Ending (1:36:44) --Clue: The Movie (1:18:54) --Trilogy Ending (14:16) --Credits (3:35) [SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]Ending A is "They All Did It," Ending B is "Miss Scarlett Did It," and Ending C is "Miss Peacock Did It." In the Trilogy version, the ending order is B-C-A. After Ending B plays, there's there's an intertitle that says, "That's how it could have happened." This is followed by, "But how about this?" with Ending C playing. Upon that conclusion, a final intertitle tells us "But here's what really happened" and we go to Ending A and the end credits.[/SPOILER] To be honest, while I grew up with the Trilogy Ending, whenever I watch the film now, I always select the random ending.

Agreed!!!! All very good ideas. That I would definitely buy - and pay a little extra for.

#14 of 34 OFFLINE   NY2LA

NY2LA

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted May 18 2012 - 03:04 PM

Isn't it funny - they've apparently licensed out Rosemary's Baby, but Clue - CLUE - that they do.

Logic from a Studio? Obviously it's NOT always based on commercial success. I remember a studio tour at Paramount when they passed the set for a Travolta thriller (The General's Daughter) in the B-tank. A stack of old rowboats nearby might have been the source of the strong unmistakably fishy smell. The guide attributed it to the studio accounting department working on the books for Forrest Gump.

#15 of 34 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,330 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted May 18 2012 - 03:16 PM

You're a monster. :) I've loved Clue forever but your opinion is the same as nearly all people seem to feel about this movie. However, HTF has a surprisingly large number of Clue fans.

And Lost Horizon, the musical, fans. Seriously, though, when record labels do limited editions of ANY 1980s genre film, they all sell out instantly, whereas scores from previous decades from much better films by much better composers, take a while. The 80s nostalgia in terms of films and the music from them is unlike any other I've ever seen.

#16 of 34 OFFLINE   NY2LA

NY2LA

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted May 18 2012 - 04:32 PM

And Lost Horizon, the musical, fans. Seriously, though, when record labels do limited editions of ANY 1980s genre film, they all sell out instantly, whereas scores from previous decades from much better films by much better composers, take a while. The 80s nostalgia in terms of films and the music from them is unlike any other I've ever seen.

Wouldn't that have a lot to do with the aging of the generation that grew up on those things? I think we're always more partial to and fonder of things we saw before we grew up and maybe developed some perspective, taste etc. If it weren't for the BabyBoomers, would we have had all those movies made from all those 60s-70s TV shows? One could argue that Mozart was better than Bacharach, but how many people alive today grew up singing along to Mozart on the radio? I have practically every available note the Carpenters ever recorded, most of Abba too, and I don't give a rat's what anyone thinks about it. I like it is all that matters, and If i were alone in that we wouldn't still be seeing newly whatevered releases of that stuff. So maybe people who were kids in the 80s have more disposable income now?

#17 of 34 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,615 posts

Posted May 18 2012 - 04:45 PM

Well, we can agree to disagree - I found Clue to be one of the most excruciatingly bad films of all time. And it's box-office performance was certainly, well, tepid would be the nice way of putting it. At the screening I attended, by the end of the film two-thirds of the audience had bailed. :) I think plenty of movie fans can quote from Rosermary's Baby, because it has some of the best dialogue ever.

If you're remembering Clue from said theatrical release, you probably have the old burning grudges against it-- Even though the trailers clearly showed it was a screwball farce (and more than a little bit of a Neil Simon's "Murder By Death" plagiarism), Paramount was so giddily struck by the idea of "It's a board game, and now it's a film!" they promoted the film as if it was some sort of InterFilm interactive movie where audiences helped "solve" one of the three neato alternative endings you wouldn't expect. (I kid you not: Box offices handed out Parker Bros. Clue game slips with your ticket, to enjoy with your movie. Why?--If you find out, tell me.) Needless to say, that's not what they got when Martin Mull and Madeline Kahn showed up. One might not blame them for feeling a little confused and resentful. Now we have the next generation, who rent it on video, and either have no idea what to expect of it, or already know it's a screwball comedy with dizzy whirling wordplay, and take the movie with a clean slate. See how much better it plays?

No, Clue is part of a large phenomenon of kids who grew up seeing these 1980s films, LOVING every one of them. I've never seen anything quite like it, actually - how else do you explain The Goonies? :)

If you go on RottenTomatoes and look up the old vintage press reviews and current video reviews for The Goonies on the same page, the current reviews all praise it as a wonderful sentimental 80's groove from the past, and the vintage press reviews from 1985 thought it was shrill, obnoxious, overbearing and moronic. (I saw it in theaters, guess which opinion I have.) Clue, OTOH, had the breather for audiences to step back for a fair appraisal of it--Half the people on one of my other disk forums weren't even aware the movie existed until now, how likely are they to "hate" it on first viewing? I myself hated it in theaters AND loved it on video, and can now practically recite the movie from memory. That's what happens when you're not anal-retentive, and can put things in perspective. Let's continue this discussion next July, when Disney puts "Treasure Planet" on Blu. :D

#18 of 34 OFFLINE   Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,151 posts

Posted May 18 2012 - 10:46 PM

To some degree, CLUE's reputation has also been bolstered in the last decade by THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW fanbase, inspired partly due to, of course, Tim Curry as the Butler. In L.A. for a decade now, the local RHPS shadow cast Sins o' the Flesh has done a yearly autumn shadow cast screening of CLUE that consistently draws near-sellout crowds; Jonathan Lynn and Colleen Camp have been present for some of these performances. Some casts in other cities have staged the film in this manner as well. There's not nearly as many callbacks because most people genuinely like the movie and want to hear the dialogue, but there are some funny retorts (especially when scenes mirror RHPS plot points), and viewers love to see whoever is playing Wadsworth going through his mad paces at the climax of the story. Lynn has been quite impressed and sits for autographs and photos with the performers for long stretches whenever he attends. Paramount has known about these screenings and been very supportive of them. The "trilogy" ending had not even been available in 35mm until they saw the grosses from these shadow cast events. As such, I would have thought someone would have alerted the home video department and suggested making a featurette on the phenomenon in the manner that Fox has profiled the people who act out RHPS for their previous home video releases. It would have been a great new addition to urge Blu-Ray upgrades. But that's just me, I guess.
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#19 of 34 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,205 posts

Posted May 19 2012 - 02:41 AM

Interesting, Mark. Count me among the GOONIES haters--I was 20 when it came out, too old for such shenanigans, but I bet my kids will go for it--and I had no CLUE that that movie had such a cult. BATTLESHIP should be so lucky.

#20 of 34 OFFLINE   Eric Vedowski

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit

• 302 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted May 19 2012 - 04:01 AM

Well, we can agree to disagree - I found Clue to be one of the most excruciatingly bad films of all time. And it's box-office performance was certainly, well, tepid would be the nice way of putting it. At the screening I attended, by the end of the film two-thirds of the audience had bailed. :) I think plenty of movie fans can quote from Rosermary's Baby, because it has some of the best dialogue ever. No, Clue is part of a large phenomenon of kids who grew up seeing these 1980s films, LOVING every one of them. I've never seen anything quite like it, actually - how else do you explain The Goonies? :)

Those kids were the first VCR/home video generation-also cable movie channels playing the same stuff over and over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users