Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Revolution season 1 thread

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

#161 of 210 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted November 26 2012 - 04:47 PM

Well, now we have a mobile attack helicopter. .. and a fleet of them.  This is now starting to remind me of a different Revolution..  Sid Meier's revolution, where one tribe just has Phalanx and Spearman and another military has attack copters :)

One heck of a pause point for a big four month break.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#162 of 210 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,617 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 01:38 AM

So what's the effective range of that amplifier, cuz I'm running as fast as I can from the helicopter! , and at right angles from the guns on it. :)
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#163 of 210 Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,564 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 03:13 AM

1. Wait for helicopter to approach.

2. Leave my hiding place and fire my computer-guided rocket launcher, which now works thanks to the amplifier.

3. Destroy helicopter(s)

4. Retrieve indestructible pendant from wreckage.

#164 of 210 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 03:19 AM

You've got to admit, it would be a hilarious twist if they fire a computer guided shot from that helicopter, it goes 40 yards and then goes zig-zagging all over the place or straight down because the computer loses power at that distance. :)

Really, there is a problem with the amplifier idea.  If it works in creating a bubble that returns things to normal, and if they've put it in a helicopter, then.. on the ground, helicopter and locals have power (great).  Helicopter flies off: locals lose all power, which means they can't radio or update the helicopter.

People see helicopter; helicopters can't really move one by one after a person, they have to move in a close pack or the one that lags just falls from the sky as power goes out.

But the end as they watched the Helicopter rise up into the sky and just stared at it.. run, with lots of tight angles :)

trakt.tv

#165 of 210 Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco

Screenwriter

• 2,462 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 04:37 PM

1 Pendant/amplifier... 1/2 mile. 12 Pendants/amplifiers... 6 miles. Or maybe 1 for each helicopter, plus 1 for base. This is just the beginning. There are more pendants.
Studios, caption your internet streams.

#166 of 210 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,034 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted November 27 2012 - 11:54 PM

Or perhaps it's an exponential thing, where each amplified pendant in close range with another amplified pendant expands the range that much more.

#167 of 210 Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,564 posts

Posted November 28 2012 - 03:49 AM

How long until one of the other states attacks, and Miles and Monroe are forced to work together?  We've already heard rumblings of the Georgia Peaches attacking.  Miles and Monroe, forced to put their hatred aside and defend the Republic.

#168 of 210 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,034 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted November 28 2012 - 10:58 AM

In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, "Revolution" creator/showrunner Eric Kripke says that the first half of the season was basically a prologue to the series, establishing the characters and the stakes. The second half of the season gets to the titular revolution at the heart of the story, with Miles as the George Washington to Monroe's King George George III. Also, we will know exactly how the lights went out and how to get them back on by the end of the season.

#169 of 210 Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,025 posts

Posted December 10 2012 - 02:47 PM

Ok I have missed a couple of episodes but was a right all along that they are going with the pendants as a power source concept?

Just catching up on the last four episodes before the winter break, so a bit behind. Are the pendants the power source? They can't just turn on the power to whatever is within 9-10 feet, because there is no power being generated after 15 years. Understandably with shows like this you kind of have to take a leap of faith, but are they just sucking up energy from the environment around them and turning on the lights, CD players, etc.? The power grid is gone, so where is the power coming from that the pendants access, or maybe they're tiny little nuclear reactors? You can drive a truck through the plot holes in a lot of shows, but eventually it just becomes to ridiculous to stay even slightly believeable.
Stan

#170 of 210 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,034 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted December 10 2012 - 02:56 PM

Are the pendants the power source? They can't just turn on the power to whatever is within 9-10 feet, because there is no power being generated after 15 years.

So far everything we've seen activated has been either battery-powered or generator-powered. Even the helicopters run on fuel. Nothing has relied on the larger electric grid. My understanding is that the giant underground machine makes the planet's physics go wonky, preventing electricity on the scale required to power electronics from working. The pendants create a 9-10 foot negation field that negates what the giant underground machine is doing and returns the laws of physics to normal within that radius.

#171 of 210 Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Screenwriter

• 2,970 posts

Posted December 13 2012 - 06:39 AM

So far everything we've seen activated has been either battery-powered or generator-powered. Even the helicopters run on fuel. Nothing has relied on the larger electric grid. My understanding is that the giant underground machine makes the planet's physics go wonky, preventing electricity on the scale required to power electronics from working. The pendants create a 9-10 foot negation field that negates what the giant underground machine is doing and returns the laws of physics to normal within that radius.

Actually the very first items we saw activated by the pendant were not battery powered. The computer, the light bulb and whatever was transmitting the signal from the computer. By the way it is very farfetched to think that after 15 years any of the batteries around would have any power left in them.

#172 of 210 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted December 13 2012 - 07:59 AM

Or that the attack choppers would be instantly operable, though I suppose they could have been meticulously maintained.

#173 of 210 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,167 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted December 13 2012 - 11:14 AM

Flying a copter is like riding a bike, apparently. Once you learn...

#174 of 210 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts

Posted March 25 2013 - 09:34 PM

A decent return and I think I get a little bit more about where this is going now; we have three different groups, with the other group being those who know about the scientific project who are now trying to bend it to their will.   But the entire show is basically now setup like a game of Risk to see who can quickly conquer America

trakt.tv

#175 of 210 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,034 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted March 26 2013 - 03:48 PM

I thought that the cliffhanger was a bit of a copout, since in the mid-season finale they seemed to be pinned down by the helicopter in a wide open field, while in the mid-season premiere, suddenly they're a short sprint from the tree line. On the other hand, killing Danny after spending half of a season rescuing Danny was a pretty ballsy move.

Or that the attack choppers would be instantly operable, though I suppose they could have been meticulously maintained.

To be fair, over the first half of the season, we saw Monroe's troops collecting the helicopters. It's not a huge stretch to think he'd have had them repaired and maintained in anticipation of getting power back. After all, he knew that Rachel knew something about why the lights went out, and how to turn them on again.

A decent return and I think I get a little bit more about where this is going now; we have three different groups, with the other group being those who know about the scientific project who are now trying to bend it to their will.   But the entire show is basically now setup like a game of Risk to see who can quickly conquer America

My real question is what Randall's angle is. It seems pretty clear that he played a big role in turning the lights off in the first place.

#176 of 210 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,617 posts

Posted March 31 2013 - 10:54 AM

Could they have milked that scene of Danny's last act of heroism any more  :)  Sort of glad they dispatched him so brazenly. 

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#177 of 210 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,167 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted March 31 2013 - 02:08 PM

My wife wrote me a prediction before this episode, sealed it in an envelope, and let me read it after the episode. She wrote: They kill Danny.

So we're still watching, and doing Amazing Karmak impersonations, too :)

My favorite part, of course, was mom pulling the little power source out of Danny's chest, from his experimental heart surgery. Fantastic!

#178 of 210 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts

Posted April 02 2013 - 08:09 AM

REALLY dislike the core concept of this episode, where they destroy the pendants.   I may be out.   This makes absolutely no sense to me, if he can track the pendants, fine.  But destroying them means you have less opportunity to do much of anything.. unless we come up with a breakthrough and she can just smelt new pendants from nothing...

This to me seemed like a way to put major breaks on reaching a turning point; as though someone shifted the traintracks out from under the direction this was going.

Maybe it will work out well, but the switch from "we have to find pendants" to "the pendants will destroy us!" seems like a bit of a cheat

trakt.tv

#179 of 210 Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Screenwriter

• 2,970 posts

Posted April 02 2013 - 09:56 AM

Great so Flynn’s whole motivation is driven by his inability to deal with his son’s death.

Obviously Rachel didn’t invent the pendants or know everything about them if she didn’t know that they could be triggered remotely.

#180 of 210 Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,564 posts

Posted April 02 2013 - 10:44 AM

REALLY dislike the core concept of this episode, where they destroy the pendants.   I may be out.   This makes absolutely no sense to me, if he can track the pendants, fine.  But destroying them means you have less opportunity to do much of anything.. unless we come up with a breakthrough and she can just smelt new pendants from nothing...

This to me seemed like a way to put major breaks on reaching a turning point; as though someone shifted the traintracks out from under the direction this was going.

Maybe it will work out well, but the switch from "we have to find pendants" to "the pendants will destroy us!" seems like a bit of a cheat

My take was that it was software that was really at the core of turning the power back on (both literally and figuratively).  Perhaps Rachel has figured out a way to replicate the ability...somehow.  Aaron was an exec at Google--maybe he has some programming skills that could come in handy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users