What's new

Revolution season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
[VIDEO]http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwfCRAtkYEI[/VIDEO]
Giancarlo Esposito playing another sinister, hardass Gus-type? I'm already there.
Although NBC better be cutting S.M. Stirling a huge-ass check right about now -- this certainly seems like "Dies The Fire: The Series" in more ways than one.
This could either be the next Jericho, or the next The Event -- promising a lot, but never fully delivering. It could go either way.
I'd like to think that Abrams and the other writer/producers have some sort of definitive overarching plot already figured out in advance -- who caused the blackouts, why did it happen, etc., and not try to go into production with zero idea of the underlying mythology-structure (like a certain other aforementioned show recently did).
Color me cautiously optimistic about this one. (Plus, actually living in the Chicago, IL suburbs, seeing Wrigley and the downtown completely overgrown in the trailer like that was freaky as hell.)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I'm almost certainly not going to watch a single "new" show this upcoming season. It's simply getting tiring having a show cancelled without any answers forthcoming from the powers that be. In fact, I would bet real money that Abrams (whose work I love) and crew have absolutely no idea *at all* about any overarching plot/narrative/plot. And I'm not talking a LOST-style making most of it up as you go thing, rather I'm saying there's likely no direction at all.

I'm done with this crap: wake me up for season 2.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
No one gets more invested in these shows than I do, and nothing makes me any madder than to see a show I've grown fond of get cut down before it has a chance to really blossom (Awake, GCB, Prime Suspect were my tragedies from this past season), but if you don't watch the show, you're part of the very problem you're complaining about. The show can't get ratings, build buzz, and become appointment television without a large number of people supporting it and "talking it up."

I'll certainly sample the first few episodes to see if it's to my liking. This past season, I started then stopped and dropped The Playboy Club, Ringer, A Gifted Man, New Girl, and on cable Franklin and Bash. So, I don't mind giving a few hours to any show that piques my interest from its description and promos, but you'll never know if it does or not unless you give it a look.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by MattH. /t/320702/nbcs-revolution-premieres-fall-2012#post_3925558
No one gets more invested in these shows than I do, and nothing makes me any madder than to see a show I've grown fond of get cut down before it has a chance to really blossom (Awake, GCB, Prime Suspect were my tragedies from this past season), but if you don't watch the show, you're part of the very problem you're complaining about. The show can't get ratings, build buzz, and become appointment television without a large number of people supporting it and "talking it up."

I'll certainly sample the first few episodes to see if it's to my liking. This past season, I started then stopped and dropped The Playboy Club, Ringer, A Gifted Man, New Girl, and on cable Franklin and Bash. So, I don't mind giving a few hours to any show that piques my interest from its description and promos, but you'll never know if it does or not unless you give it a look.

Perhaps I wasn't as clear as I could have been. My problem isn't the shows getting cancelled, but rather shows getting cancelled with (and perhaps, because) no answers were forthcoming from the creative powers. These days, it seems every show is trying to be the next LOST: a series of questions strung together by more questions. I'm all for shows attempting massive, mysterious story arcs, but given that many shows don't see a season two, not every single thing needs to be left on a blow-your-mind cliffhanger. Person of Interest is a good example of how to craft a great first season, complete with mystery *and* some answers.

I'd rather simply wait until season 2, check (from find folks such as those on these forums) to see if there are some (genuine) answers in the show, and buy the blu-ray.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
You know, the moment I saw them break out Bows & Arrows I thought: this show is going to try hard to capitalize on the Hunger Games type post apocolyptic feel with kids as a center.. Still, I'll give it a try.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The show had me on the hook as soon as I saw all of the landmarks coated with vegetation as it jumped ten years later.
It should be noted that while Abrams is producing this one, the writer/showrunner is Eric Kripke, who had and successfully executed a five-year plan for "Supernatural". That being the case, I would guess that he went into it knowing exactly what happened to cause the global blackout and exactly what's on that jump drive necklace.
The big difference versus S.M. Stirling's post-apocalyptic landscape is that only electricity appears to have stopped working. There are clearly guns shown in the trailer, and presumably steam power would work, too. It appears to be less a change in the laws of physics than a massive, rolling EMP that swept over the entire planet.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Josh Dial /t/320702/nbcs-revolution-premieres-fall-2012#post_3925559

Perhaps I wasn't as clear as I could have been. My problem isn't the shows getting cancelled, but rather shows getting cancelled with (and perhaps, because) no answers were forthcoming from the creative powers.

I'd rather simply wait until season 2, check (from find folks such as those on these forums) to see if there are some (genuine) answers in the show, and buy the blu-ray.

But this can happen with even established shows. I just read an article that CSI: Miami would not have a wrap-up episode. Lots of shows end with cliffhangers becuase they get canceled after production has wrapped (Miami wrapped three months ago). It's a hazard of TV viewing, and it happens all the time, with new shows and established ones.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
MattH. said:
But this can happen with even established shows. I just read an article that CSI: Miami would not have a wrap-up episode. Lots of shows end with cliffhangers becuase they get canceled after production has wrapped (Miami wrapped three months ago). It's a hazard of TV viewing, and it happens all the time, with new shows and established ones.
CSI Miami finally got cancelled? Well a hearty Boo Hoo from me. It was the worst of the franchise, thanks to the pathetic David Caruso. Hopefully CSI New York survived.
Mentioned in a different post that I was shocked that the only NBC show I watch is Grimm. Revolution looks like it may be decent, so will give it a chance, but NBC has some major problems to deal with.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Stan said:
Revolution looks like it may be decent, so will give it a chance, but NBC has some major problems to deal with.
I think that's putting it mildly, Stan.:) Most people would put NBC in the "colossally fucked" category.
Even assuming "Revolution" proves to be something I stick with, I'll be down to watching three hours of NBC each week next fall. And I watch A LOT of TV.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Someone at NBC needs to just say: "Can we Reboot "A Different World" "Cheers" and "Cosby" ? It's amazing how far this network has fallen

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Stan /t/320702/nbcs-revolution-premieres-fall-2012#post_3925587
CSI Miami finally got cancelled? Well a hearty Boo Hoo from me. It was the worst of the franchise, thanks to the pathetic David Caruso. Hopefully CSI New York survived.

CSI: NY did indeed make the cut and will return next season.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by MattH. /t/320702/nbcs-revolution-premieres-fall-2012#post_3925584

I always wonder, what prevents networks from giving long-running shows a heads-up to wrap up the series, like telling them at upfronts that this will be their final season? Like what NBC did with Chuck or ABC with Desperate Housewives. Cancelling long-running shows like that, comes across as a big "screw you" to the audience, with no sendoff or proper series finale.

Just to be clear, I am not referring to shows that last only 1 or 2 seasons.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Walter C /t/320702/nbcs-revolution-premieres-fall-2012#post_3925624

I always wonder, what prevents networks from giving long-running shows a heads-up to wrap up the series, like telling them at upfronts that this will be their final season? Like what NBC did with Chuck or ABC with Desperate Housewives. Cancelling long-running shows like that, comes across as a big "screw you" to the audience, with no sendoff or proper series finale.

Just to be clear, I am not referring to shows that last only 1 or 2 seasons.

It's hard to "wrap up" a procedural. There is kind of a storyline, but they are still "murder of the week" stuff. They just end.

gruagach

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Henry
Looks like a mix of BBC's Survivors and Jericho with a little Lost stirred in. As I'll be waiting for the DVD release, there will be plenty of reviews to read before taking the leap.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by mattCR /t/320702/nbcs-revolution-premieres-fall-2012#post_3925625
It's hard to "wrap up" a procedural. There is kind of a storyline, but they are still "murder of the week" stuff. They just end.

Just so I understand correctly, being a procedural is the reason why those shows don't get a heads-up?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Walter C /t/320702/nbcs-revolution-premieres-fall-2012#post_3925797

Just so I understand correctly, being a procedural is the reason why those shows don't get a heads-up?

Partly. But it's also this: even if they got a heads up, is there any significant storyline they'd wrap up? If L&O:SVU cancelled tomorrow, would you say "but I always wondered what was going to happen to.." Not really, because each week is a new ep, and the character growth is kind of there but not a part of the storyline. Characters come and go in those shows at a rate that makes it hard to say "oh, this is the last season, let's give them a chance to develop something..' There are procedurals that have developed more (see: Bones, Castle, etc.) but none of the CSIs or L&O, as much as I love them, ever built a real storyline that leaves the audience feeling cheated out of a resolution if they got canned.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
^^^ Okay, I see now!

Getting back on topic, I just saw the trailer, and as I said in the other thread, and echoing what joshEH said, concerning Giancarlo Esposito. I hope we see a lot of him. Though, I do wonder, if a show like this, would be better suited for cable.

The title screen is just like Heroes. But I hope this one will be a lot better than Heroes.

Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt /t/320702/nbcs-revolution-premieres-fall-2012#post_3925577
The show had me on the hook as soon as I saw all of the landmarks coated with vegetation as it jumped ten years later.

Especially seeing Wrigley Field that way. And gave that feel of the documentary, Life After People.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
I just watched the trailer and liked what I saw. Here's to hoping that it is actually good and doesn't go the route of "The Event".

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Haven't watched the trailer yet but it sounds intriguing. Hope they don't blow their entire SFX budget on the pilot and they avoid silly stuff like the "Failling Skies" world's lawns still being manicured.
I'll give it a shot & hope I don't get too invested if it ends up on the bubble or cancelled.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks