-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Need AVR recommendation, $650 and under

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 groogas11

groogas11

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted May 12 2012 - 11:00 PM

Hello. My second post here, and looking for advice on AVR choice. I had previously considered buying a Pioneer Elite VSX-60 to start my new home theater system, but now I'm wondering if I need all of its extras and could get what I want for less with another Pioneer, Denon or Yamaha? Would consider other brand. Here's my wish list... • Very good sound, of course • 5.1 (I'm going to hook them up to Def Tech 600s) • Apple friendly • Attractive, east-to-use interface • at least 80W per channel • Reliable • Enough ports to connect to BluRay, TV, PS3 and possibly Apple TV • Sirius/XM • Front USB for iPods/iPad/iPhone • Bluetooth a plus Thanks!

#2 of 3 Mr645

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator

• 209 posts
  • LocationBoca Raton, Florida

Posted May 13 2012 - 12:28 AM

Just about any mid range reciever will fit the bill. I recently picked up a Pioneer VSX-32 for $399 and it's working great. Look for features more then power. Power ratings on receivers are for the most part, useless. Technically going from 90wpc to 180wpc will only deliver a 3DB increase in volume. And after I tested the 110wpc rating of the amp in my receiver against my external amp rated at 85 wpc, I found that I was able to get 5db more, clean volume from the lower rated amp, making it almost 4 times more powerful That would make my Parasound HCS-855 (85x5) equal to about a 400x5 Pioneer Elite receiver. Search around this site for online retailers that are known to carry factory refurbs and close outs on quality brands. I found my Pioneer at a local Best Buy, and open box, recently discontiued model marked down from $999 to $399

#3 of 3 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,694 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted May 13 2012 - 02:33 AM

Yes, walk into your local BestBuy and ask them what they have in the back room. They might surprise you. Otherwise, a Denon 2312, Onkyo 709, Pioneer 1121 (if you can still find it) and Yamaha 673 can be found around that price range. Factory refurbished is a good way to go http://www.accessori...eceivers/1.html
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.