Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone else seriously considering Adobe's Creative Cloud?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 of 47 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,184 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted May 11 2013 - 06:27 AM

Jacinto's price breakdown is should be pretty close to my wife's. since she's a prat time graphic designer, spending $600/yr on a sub for Adobe software is quite a lot, and doesn't make a lot of sense professionally. (And she's not a software geek, where buying the software for its own sake has value)Unfortunately, there no alternatives. Quark is dead. Acorn and Pixelmator at best compete with Photoshop. We've got a few years, though. Maybe upgrade to the last standalone suite next year, and then have four years after that to see what happens with the sub model. And if her business grows, or the subs pricing drops to what suits her, then she could switch.

#22 of 47 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer

• 10,040 posts

Posted May 11 2013 - 08:54 AM

If others are smart, this may potentially open a window for rival software developers to take market share away from Adobe with compelling standalone, perpetually licensed products.

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#23 of 47 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 18,332 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted May 17 2013 - 05:38 AM

If others are smart, this may potentially open a window for rival software developers to take market share away from Adobe with compelling standalone, perpetually licensed products.

Oh they are, in spades:

http://shapeof.com/a...n_4_launch.html

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

UV Sales New Clarifications

#24 of 47 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,228 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted May 17 2013 - 07:32 AM

Jacinto-

Well, if you want, you can always keep older versions around on another box and they never expire, just as an FYI.  Adobe will even help you:

http://www.adobe.com.../cs2_downloads/

While CS2 isn't the newest (quite old) for a lot of people, having it around, even in a VM isn't that bad of an option.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#25 of 47 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 18,332 posts

Posted May 21 2013 - 06:58 AM

Support and rally group for those who want to fight the future:

https://www.facebook.com/StopAdobeCC

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

#26 of 47 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,542 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted July 20 2013 - 07:18 AM

There's a thread on adobe's own forums where the villagers have the torches and pitchforks raised high. As a non-pro user of PS, the subscription model is a no go for me. I also think they are inviting additional piracy. Don't take that as condoning piracy, just a belief it will happen. Did I see on that FB page that adobe closed its offices for a week to celebrate summer? Can a company the size of adobe really do that?
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#27 of 47 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 18,332 posts

Posted October 04 2013 - 05:19 AM

/sigh:

http://thenextweb.co...t-card-numbers/

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

#28 of 47 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 18,332 posts

Posted October 12 2013 - 08:57 AM

Speaking of Le sigh:If you got notice from Adobe that your credit card info may be compromised take it seriously. Shitbirds tried to buy $50 worth of long distance credit through my Amex and got the card cancelled while I'm on vacation on a holiday weekend. Soonest Amex can get me a new card is Tuesday.

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

#29 of 47 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer

• 10,040 posts

Posted October 12 2013 - 09:32 AM

Sam, here's the notice I got. It says that encrypted payment card numbers *may* have been accessed. I think this is the warning that everyone who subscribed to CC got. Is there another one that says that your card was definitely among those that was stolen? I can't tell if all CC credit cards were stolen or not. "If you placed an order with us..." isn't CC itself an order?

Anyway I've been monitoring my online account statement and haven't seen anything yet. Keeping a watchful eye though.

[color=rgb(102,102,102);]We recently discovered that attackers illegally entered our network. The attackers may have obtained access to your Adobe ID and encrypted password. We currently have no indication that there has been unauthorized activity on your account. If you have placed an order with us, information such as your name, encrypted payment card number, and card expiration date also may have been accessed. We do not believe any decrypted card numbers were removed from our systems. 

To prevent unauthorized access to your account, we have reset your password. Please visit adobe.com/passwordreset[/color] to create a new password. We recommend that you also change your password on any website where you use the same user ID or password. As always, please be cautious when responding to any email seeking your personal information. 

We also recommend that you monitor your account for incidents of fraud and identity theft, including regularly reviewing your account statements and monitoring credit reports. If you discover any suspicious or unusual activity on your account or suspect identity theft or fraud, you should report it immediately to your bank. You will be receiving a letter from us shortly that provides more information on this matter. 

We deeply regret any inconvenience this may cause you. We value the trust of our customers and we will work aggressively to prevent these types of events from occurring in the future. If you have questions, you can learn more by visiting our Customer Alert page, which you will find here. Adobe Customer Care

#30 of 47 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 18,332 posts

Posted October 12 2013 - 01:44 PM

I was awakened by Amex this am with a compromised card, Adobe is the only recent breached service note I've gotten.

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

#31 of 47 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 18,332 posts

Posted October 12 2013 - 02:14 PM

Here is me eating crow:It's not Adobe's fault, it was Amex's. This was a legit charge for my Flickr pro account which has been on auto renew for 5+ years. Why Amex flagged it and why they said it was for long distance phone calls is beyond me, but it has been incredibly frustrating and disruptive. Stomach in knots. :(Despite it being a legit charge my card is cancelled and hoping they can get new one to me in FOUR days from now at next hotel. Super pissed at Amex.

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

#32 of 47 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,184 posts

Posted November 24 2013 - 07:22 PM

My wife wants to upgrade to CC. Depending on my computer upgrade, sometime between now and start of next year.

It looks like it's $30/mo for the whole package. (She needs Photoshop and InDesign, primarily. She also uses a little Illustrator and DreamWeaver.) Any recommendations? (If there are any options to consider?)

What about recommendations on learning the nuances of the latest tools? She's on CS6 I think; a couple years behind. All self-taught. I've suggested she look into Lynda.com or some local professional training course, to learn new skills and uses she might not find during her normal use. Old habits can keep a personal from learning better ways of working, and all that.

#33 of 47 OFFLINE   Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,921 posts

Posted December 05 2013 - 10:14 AM

I signed up for their $10 per month Photoshop + Lightroom deal that's good through Dec. 8. 

Coming from being a heavy Aperture user.  Will see how it goes.

Edited by Ted Todorov, December 05 2013 - 10:15 AM.

Hold on tightly, let go lightly.

#34 of 47 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,542 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted December 07 2013 - 11:38 AM

I signed up for their $10 per month Photoshop + Lightroom deal that's good through Dec. 8. 

Coming from being a heavy Aperture user.  Will see how it goes.

That deal is good till 12/31 according to their website.  Doesn't matter, I will decline using the subscription service.  Until he capitulated, the fellow with the funny mustache was summing it up pretty well for me.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#35 of 47 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted December 07 2013 - 04:08 PM

I'm interested to see what you think Ted. I love Lightroom even though I've been behind in upgrading. Until I recently signed up for CC, I was using LR3. 

#36 of 47 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer

• 10,040 posts

Posted December 08 2013 - 10:54 AM

I had a rather frustrating time with chat CSR at Adobe, I am now in my second year on CC and am being billed $29.99 a month (academic) rather than the original $19.99 a month promo I signed up for. However my school, which is a big Adobe reseller, now has a prepaid $239.88 yearly CC subscription ($19.99 a month) and I was trying to get Adobe to either reduce my monthly to $19.99 or allow me to cancel without penalty and renew with the annual pass from my student store. The CSR on chat didn't seem to want to do it at first, and then later said "Buy the pass, then call our 800# to cancel and continue with the yearly code with no cancelation penalty".

Before I lay down $240 I am probably going to give the 800# a call first so I don't get stuck with a dual membership...

#37 of 47 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 18,332 posts

Posted February 03 2014 - 10:41 AM

The biggest public face of Adobe is moving on:

http://blogs.adobe.c...-to-google.html

Unrelated, $10 plan is back:

https://creative.ado...6614&sdid=KKHSD

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

#38 of 47 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,184 posts

Posted February 04 2014 - 04:36 PM

My wife and I were discussing her business needs for Adobe software. She's on CS 5, and was planning to upgrade to CC this month, with the $30/mo plan. But after further thought, she's probably staying with CS 5 for another year. She's unconvinced Adobe will stay with the subscription service. Or if they do, will they raise prices every year,? This new model is a 3x increase in cost, before any price increases for her, which is a big deal for a small business. She could upgrade to CS 6, wait a year, and if CC seems ok, switch. But that's just wasting money on a short-term upgrade. So I don't know. This new policy is fine for the full time pro, and for the (affluent) enthusiast. But it's pretty sucky for the small professional.

#39 of 47 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer

• 10,040 posts

Posted February 04 2014 - 05:11 PM

Agreed Dave, but I don't see Adobe going back to the old business model. I think there was initial distaste towards it but it's kind of died down. CS customers are the classic definition of a captive audience. :blink:

If she can still do what she needs, I'd ride CS5 out as long as possible and delay the switchover. Also depending on your academic affililation you can get a whole year cheaper than $20 a month. Currently my university's computer store is running a special for $199 for the year, all paid up front, which works out to $16.58 a month. I gotta get back on the phone with Adobe and make sure if I buy it they'll still cancel my monthly with no penalty, and then I'll be set.

#40 of 47 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,184 posts

Posted February 04 2014 - 07:49 PM

We have no academic affiliation. (Which I'm glad for ;)The $30/mo plan would be tolerable. But it jumps to $50/mo in year two, which is pricey. The best solution is for her to grow the business. But that's a whole other issue :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users