What's new

Polonsky John Garfield blurays (1 Viewer)

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I just saw on Amazon that Olive Films will be releasing two classic Jon Garfield films on bluray - 'Force of Evil' and "Body and Soul' on July 31. Hats off again to Olive Films!

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Two genre-defining noirs and among Garfield's finest. I look forward to both of these. Abraham Polonsky was a writer and director to be reckoned with. Brutally honest in the deep dark noir world he worked in. Should be quite an upgrade from the Artisan DVDs.
BodyAndSoul1947-UA-three.jpg

BodyAndSoul1947-UA-insert.jpg
ForceOfEvil1948-MGM-insert.jpg

ForceOfEvil1948-MGM-one.jpg

ForceOfEvil1948-MGM-half.jpg

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
If they are done properly, I'll buy them both.
I once saw Abraham Polonsky on television when he was helping promote Tell Them Willie Boy Is Here. He was very charming and had a dry sense of humour. When he was asked about being blacklisted and - ostensibly - unable to find work, he smiled and said he had worked under a pseudonym. He continued by saying he had been paid more when blacklisted because "things always cost more on the black market!"
I wish television and radio interviews like that had been preserved. They would make wonderful "extras" on DVDs and BRDs.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Thanks for that tidbit on Polonsky. I'd like to get a look at Polonsky. I imagine him bitter, but from your description he wasn't. I remember seeing interviews on the talk shows in the 1960s and 1970s that would make would good supplements now. Bits and pieces. Trouble is much of it is owned -- Jack Paar, Joe Franklyn, Merv Griffin, Mike Douglas, Dick Cavett. Those southern talk shows out of Nashville and Memphis made a point of booking of western actors and western film makers. It would be interesting if the home video divisions started mining that source.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
So far the best offers I've found on these two BRDs are @ $18.12 each from DVD Pacific. Some Internet vendors haven't listed them yet so there may be better prices available later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks