Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Polonsky John Garfield blurays

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 bugsy-pal

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator

• 82 posts

Posted May 10 2012 - 07:13 PM

I just saw on Amazon that Olive Films will be releasing two classic Jon Garfield films on bluray - 'Force of Evil' and "Body and Soul' on July 31. Hats off again to Olive Films!

#2 of 5 Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted May 11 2012 - 06:46 AM

Two genre-defining noirs and among Garfield's finest. I look forward to both of these. Abraham Polonsky was a writer and director to be reckoned with. Brutally honest in the deep dark noir world he worked in. Should be quite an upgrade from the Artisan DVDs. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 of 5 Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,740 posts

Posted May 11 2012 - 09:42 PM

If they are done properly, I'll buy them both. I once saw Abraham Polonsky on television when he was helping promote Tell Them Willie Boy Is Here. He was very charming and had a dry sense of humour. When he was asked about being blacklisted and - ostensibly - unable to find work, he smiled and said he had worked under a pseudonym. He continued by saying he had been paid more when blacklisted because "things always cost more on the black market!" I wish television and radio interviews like that had been preserved. They would make wonderful "extras" on DVDs and BRDs.

#4 of 5 Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted May 12 2012 - 05:48 PM

Thanks for that tidbit on Polonsky. I'd like to get a look at Polonsky. I imagine him bitter, but from your description he wasn't. I remember seeing interviews on the talk shows in the 1960s and 1970s that would make would good supplements now. Bits and pieces. Trouble is much of it is owned -- Jack Paar, Joe Franklyn, Merv Griffin, Mike Douglas, Dick Cavett. Those southern talk shows out of Nashville and Memphis made a point of booking of western actors and western film makers. It would be interesting if the home video divisions started mining that source.

#5 of 5 Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,740 posts

Posted May 19 2012 - 01:13 AM

So far the best offers I've found on these two BRDs are @ $18.12 each from DVD Pacific. Some Internet vendors haven't listed them yet so there may be better prices available later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users