What's new

5.1 DVD receiver speaker compatibility and connection question (1 Viewer)

Pete Sanchez

Auditioning
Real Name
Pete Sanchez
Hi everyone,
My 5.1 home theatre DVD receiver unit died last weekend, I am shopping around for a replacement unit but you cannot buy only a DVD receiver unit so I am looking for a solution that allows me to keep my current speakers…
I have 2 questions:
My current speakers connect to the DVD receiver via grip connectors in the back of the unit, is there a way that I would be able to plug these speakers into a different DVD receiver unit that has speaker plug connectors in the back (and not grip connectors)? Is there some sort of adapter or modification that would allow this?
How important is wattage? My current unit specifies a total of 1000W, divided between the 5 speakers and subwoofer. Can I connect my current speakers to a unit with a different total wattage, say 600W or 1100W? Will this blow the system or will it work fine (it might not be as powerful but I don’t mind the compromise).
Thanks for reading my inquiry, any advice is greatly appreciated!
Pete

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
DVD receiver? I am assuming you have a HTIB, unless this is for a car? You will need to supply more info regarding your unit for more definitive answers. Typically, HTIB have proprietary connectors.

Your wattage rating has little meaning. While the speakers may be able to handle that wattage, it is not what you are getting. The actual power your system has is governed by the power supply...amperage.

Pete Sanchez

Auditioning
Real Name
Pete Sanchez
Yes, it is a home theater in a box, here is a link to a product page with all the unit specs:
http://www1.thebrick.com/brickb2c/jsp/catalog/product.jsp?id=HT963TA&navAction=jump&navCount=4
My goal is to be able to only replace the DVD receiver unit and keep my current speakers...
I am looking for a replacement unit that has grip connectors in the back but I am finding that most models seem to have regular plugs...

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I used the link provided but could not get a picture of the back. I went to the LG site but apparently that set is no longer available.

This is the problem with HTIB is while they provide a low cost all in one system, it does not provide the flexibility of a more component system. And as I said earlier, connections tend to be proprietary.

If you are determined to keep the speakers, you have two options that I see...

1. Contact LG and see if you can get a DVD receiver separately from them. It will probabloy be a newer model but should still work with your speakers, unless they changed the connectors.

2. Check eBay. Though you may be forced to buy the whole unit so that you have ten speakers in the end.

My advice, if you can do it, is to start over. Stay away from HTIB as they may save you money in the beginning but not in the end if you want to upgrade. Get a $200 dollar receiver and a pair of speakers and build it from there as budget allows. A decent pair of speakers will last at least 10 years, provided you do not over drive them.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
That unit uses the old fashioned spring clips and the speakers use regular speaker wire which can be used with the "speaker plugs" (or 5 way binding posts) by simply un-screwing them a bit and sliding the bare wire through the little hole in the post. But there's another problem. Those speakers are 4 ohm and the passive subwoofer (not good for other reasons) is 3 ohm and most receivers under $600 need to be used with 6 ohm or higher speakers. Yet another reason we don't care for htib systems here. One part breaks and you pretty much have to replace the whole thing.
There are combination receiver/BluRay units on the market, NAD and Harman Kardon are two I know of, but besides being in-compatible with 4 ohm speakers they are pretty expensive. If you still plan on buying another htib then consider buying an extended warranty like SquareTrade (not from BestBuy or some other retailer). SquareTrade will warranty just about anything bought just about anywhere. You have 30 days (I think) after the purchase to get it.
This refurbished Onkyo unit comes with a one year warranty and has seperate receiver. But you would have to buy a BluRay player and the subwoofer is passive but the cost is low. http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTS3400/Onkyo-HT-S3400-5.1-Channel-Home-Theater-Package/1.html
With shipping, a bluray player and an extended warranty you still should be around $300. Still too much? Buy another LG and start saving for it's replacement :) .

Pete Sanchez

Auditioning
Real Name
Pete Sanchez
Thanks for the advice everybody,
I should mention that my current unit (which died last week) I have had for about 3 years, and I have left it on that entire time, as in I would rarely turn it off (once a month at the most), could this have affected the lifespan of the unit? Maybe if I turn off my next one when I am not using it, it will last longer?
At this point I am veering towards simply buying a replacement unit, I found the updated model of my current system for around $400 canadian, which is what I payed last time....with a decent warranty plan it should provide me with several years of enjoyment, and I appreciate the input regarding fancier home theater setups but I will stick with the HTIB setup as it suits my purposes and wallet. =)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Heat is the enemy of electronics. If it seems to get pretty hot when left on then I would turn it off when not in use (which you should probably do anyway).

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
If you do go with a HTIB again, get one with a real receiver, such as the Onkyo's. That way if something breaks you can replace just that piece (receiver, speakers, DVD player), since the component connections are not proprietary. A common recommendation along these lines is the S5400: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S5400-7-1-Channel-Theater-System/dp/B004O0TREC/ref=sr_du_2_map?ie=UTF8&qid=1336825978&sr=8-2. With this model you will have to get a DVD player, but that's another $30.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks