Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Benson: The Complete Series?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   classictvfan91

classictvfan91

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted May 09 2012 - 11:09 AM

To Sony Pictures Home Entertainment: I would like to see a Complete Series boxed set of Benson (1979-1986, all 158 episodes remastered in high definition and unedited with special features), including a Savings Bonds film with the cast ("Benson: The U.S. Goes To Market"), audio/text commentaries, documentaries with the cast, promos, the Sports Night promo about Benson (from the Sports Night 10th Anniversary Edition), bloopers, and more. The Christmas message from the cast at the end of the Mary and Her Lambs episode, the series recap for the last episode, and the alternate endings filmed for the last episode should be included. English subtitles should be included for the episodes and special features. A collector's book with pictures, liner notes, and an episode guide should be included. Also, on the new Season Two release (according to a reviewer), two discs are scratched, the first episode is missing, and on Disc 3, episodes are out of order.

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 2,104 posts

Posted May 09 2012 - 12:59 PM

A Show shot on video, as apposed to film, will not look any better remastered in "high-definition" - even a new clean transfer from the original master tapes will only look as good as the original ABC Broadcasts.

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   classictvfan91

classictvfan91

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted May 09 2012 - 01:13 PM

How do you know? The Season 1 DVD says, on the back, "Mastered in High Definition", and it looks great, so it is possible.

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted May 09 2012 - 01:17 PM

How do you know? The Season 1 DVD says, on the back, "Mastered in High Definition", and it looks great, so it is possible.
No, it's not. Need proof? Look at the Star Trek TNG Blu ray disc, specifically the 13 seconds of upconverted videotape footage vs. the remastered from original film footage. Benson, if recorded on videotape, isn't hi-def. It may look better than syndication prints, but it's nowhere near hi-def. It's the same old standard definition videotape it always has been.

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   Tory

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

• 1,321 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted May 10 2012 - 07:29 AM

I can't believe people are voting no. Screw the technicalities of remastering video, I want all of Benson on DVD!
Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   MattHR

MattHR

Screenwriter

• 1,513 posts

Posted May 10 2012 - 01:06 PM

It's not the best way to phrase the poll question. Although I have no interest in purchasing such a set, I would vote "YES" so that fans who do want it would be able to. By voting "NO", I'd be saying that while I have no personal interest in it, no one should be able to buy it. A better way to phrase the question would be, "Would you purchase Benson: The Complete Series on DVD if it were available?"

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   MattHR

MattHR

Screenwriter

• 1,513 posts

Posted May 10 2012 - 01:13 PM

deleted duplicate post

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   WhitneyG

WhitneyG

Stunt Coordinator

• 102 posts

Posted May 10 2012 - 01:43 PM

I can't believe people are voting no. Screw the technicalities of remastering video, I want all of Benson on DVD!
I do as well. Unfortunately, I don't hold much hope for that. I just got the second season set, and it is missing an episode (the first one of the season). Yet it oddly includes two episodes from the third season. Anyone know who is the right person/dept at WB Sony to contact about this? I think a missing episode is certainly justification for getting a replacement.

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   Tory

Tory

• 1,321 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted May 11 2012 - 07:18 AM

I do as well. Unfortunately, I don't hold much hope for that. I just got the second season set, and it is missing an episode (the first one of the season). Yet it oddly includes two episodes from the third season. Anyone know who is the right person/dept at WB to contact about this? I think a missing episode is certainly justification for getting a replacement.
If it was Warners I'd know how to contact them through the Archive facebook, they reply on there but Benson is no from Warners, it is from Sony on Demand.

http://www.sonypictu...3396399303.html

here is Sony's support number: 1-888-476-6972

But, I'm not certain if Gord and David or looking at this thread but report it to tvshowsondvd.com

If they don't know already, they would look into it and try and contact Sony to find out what the situation is, I do believe. Since this is DVD on Demand, maybe it would be easier for Sony to replace it.

Can you please give some more information about the episode though, like what is the title, and airdate, does it mention the episode on the packaging and promo material?

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   Tory

Tory

• 1,321 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted May 11 2012 - 07:38 AM

OK I notice the problem now with Season 2. Look at Amazon's download service: http://www.amazon.co...duct/B0013HH8FY IT is on there and they list the episode as a Season 1 episode even though it has an airdate from October Season 2. I don't think it is on the Season 1 DVD and I can't get to mine right now to check but this is somehow probably the reason for the problem. Due to some error when they prepped Season 1 for amazon download service it got mislabeled as Season 1. Maybe they did this with all seasons, messing things up and placing the first two episodes of Season 3 as Season 2. Perhaps the first episode of Season 2 was filmed as an episode of Season 1 though? I don't really know it has been a long time since I saw Benson on TV and I only just now learned of this Season 2 release.

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,974 posts
  • LocationNew York City/San Lorenzo, PR

Posted May 11 2012 - 07:41 AM

I would buy a complete series set of BENSON in a heartbeat. This was one of the best sitcoms of the 80's and was actually quite funny most of the time.
RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos.

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   WhitneyG

WhitneyG

Stunt Coordinator

• 102 posts

Posted May 11 2012 - 11:47 AM

If it was Warners I'd know how to contact them through the Archive facebook, they reply on there but Benson is no from Warners, it is from Sony on Demand.
I was thinking Warner since the WB Shop was selling these. My bad!

OK I notice the problem now with Season 2. Look at Amazon's download service:
http://www.amazon.co...duct/B0013HH8FY
IT is on there and they list the episode as a Season 1 episode even though it has an airdate from October Season 2.
I don't think it is on the Season 1 DVD and I can't get to mine right now to check but this is somehow probably the reason for the problem. Due to some error when they prepped Season 1 for amazon download service it got mislabeled as Season 1. Maybe they did this with all seasons, messing things up and placing the first two episodes of Season 3 as Season 2. Perhaps the first episode of Season 2 was filmed as an episode of Season 1 though?
Interesting... And odd! I can confirm that the episode in question, Thick as Thieves, is not on the first season DVD set either. I'll send in a question to Gord/David and see if they can look into it since they're probably more likely to get in touch with someone who knows what's going on...

Update: Gord said that Sony has pulled the set and is correcting the error.

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   texasmanowar

texasmanowar

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 06:44 PM

I sure would like a complete set of theTV show 'Benson' in HD quality or a set of best quality comercial free in order.

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 2,053 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted November 13 2012 - 08:22 AM

I sure would like a complete set of theTV show 'Benson' in HD quality
That will never happen, because Benson was shot on NTSC videotape, so the resolution is locked-in at 480i. HD-quality copies of these episodes are impossible.

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   HugeBensonFan

HugeBensonFan

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted August 06 2014 - 07:33 AM

I'd buy this in a heartbeat. Actually I'd buy 3 copies. One for my shelf, one to watch continuously, and another to share with friends and family! I know I'm crazy but I really love this show, my all time favorite!!

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,255 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted August 06 2014 - 10:55 AM

That will never happen, because Benson was shot on NTSC videotape, so the resolution is locked-in at 480i. HD-quality copies of these episodes are impossible.

But it's still going to be better than the off-air VHS tape I recorded in SLP mode years ago.

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,419 posts

Posted August 06 2014 - 01:28 PM

I would be interested in the series if it was to be released.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users