Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Do I want a soundbar?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Therucc

Therucc

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted May 09 2012 - 05:19 AM

So here's my dilemma. I have a beautiful Samsung LED 55in tv.about a year old. Sometimes I just feel like I'm adjusting the volume so much. It's too loud or not loud enough. I know the speakers on these tvs aren't great. I can't get a full on surround sound system because I live in a condo and don't want to blowout the neighbors above me or next to me. So I was thinking of getting a soundbar. I'm not looking to amp the thing up and rattle the walls I'm just looking for something that is going to give me more of a full complete sound. Not having to constantly max the volume out on my TV when there's dialogue in a movie and then turn it way down during music or explosion type scenes. Any thoughts on what I should get? Do u think a soundbar would solve my problem? Thanx

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted May 09 2012 - 05:43 AM

You have to be able to control the dialogue volume, which comes from the center channel. And to do that you need an A/V receiver. I don't think there are separate volume controls on soundbars. Am I right guys?

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Therucc

Therucc

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted May 09 2012 - 05:55 AM

i don't want to control dialogue, I'm just wondering if a sound bar would be an improvement over just the sound that comes out of my TV speakers.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,536 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted May 09 2012 - 06:18 AM

Tony, welcome to HTF! I have a Polk SurroundBar which requires separate amplification. There are sound bars that have amplification built in (the last one I looked at was Yamaha). Yes, it should sound better than TV speakers, but it won't be surround sound.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Martino

Martino

Supporting Actor

• 657 posts
  • LocationSanta Clara, CA

Posted May 09 2012 - 06:59 AM

I'm not looking to amp the thing up and rattle the walls I'm just looking for something that is going to give me more of a full complete sound

For just better sound from your TV - you may look into the zvox systems...here is there site: http://www.zvoxaudio.com/ These are boxes with built in amplification, that connects with a single cable to your TV....kind of acts as a TV stand. Not sure of your budget - the cheapest of these goes for $200.00 http://www.zvoxaudio...in/item/4002201 As for the dialog issue - having a better quality speaker than what comes in your TV will help - and these things have an extra feature for that as well.... "Incredibly Clear Voices. Our Dialog Emphasis feature uses hearing aid technology to make voices unbelievably clear."

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts

Posted May 09 2012 - 08:58 AM

i don't want to control dialogue, I'm just wondering if a sound bar would be an improvement over just the sound that comes out of my TV speakers.

Yes, it will sound better than the TV speakers, but it won't solve your problem with not hearing the dialogue properly. Again, you would need an A/V receiver to be able to correct that.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts

Posted May 10 2012 - 07:38 PM

That still won't solve the dialogue problem.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   nara

nara

Stunt Coordinator

• 79 posts

Posted May 11 2012 - 12:32 AM

The Yamaha Digital Sound Projector (DSP) soundbars, which have built in amplification, allow you to adjust the channel volumes individually. I used the autosetup on mine, but found after a while that I needed to increase the centre channel volume to avoid dialogue being drowned out in busy scenes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users