What's new

WHV Announcement: Looney Tunes Mouse Chronicles Chuck Jones Collection (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
0bf1681e_mousechroniclespress.jpeg

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'll buy this since I want all the loony tunes but part of me wants to punch Warner's in the face for how all this is going down.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
WHat is this release, a bunch of shorts from some obscure characters that barely anyone even knows about?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by TonyD /t/320601/whv-announcement-looney-tunes-mouse-chronicles-chuck-jones-collection-blu-ray#post_3924001
WHat is this release, a bunch of shorts from some obscure characters that barely anyone even knows about?
Warners can market a Bluray of some character that no one outside of collectors has heard of, but the *Mickey Rooney - Andy Hardy films go to the archives. Why not a second Platinum collection? It's already branded for sales. Now this to create confusion?

It's as stupid as Sony not being able to market (the amazing) Jolly Frolics UPA shorts so it went to TCM Vault online. I found that release by pure accident. No wonder sales are down.

Again, I'm glad to be able to buy these, but I think the problem with DVD/Bluray sales isn't so much the market as it is the studios.

*feel free to substitute any number of titles

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Frankly speaking, from my perspective it's 19 more LT shorts that make it to disc, so I'll pick it up. As long as none of these get duplicated in future Platinum Collection Blu-rays I say bring on more "collections" of shorts that they have more difficulty marketing because they don't have the "star" appeal of Bugs & Daffy et al.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
There were 12 Sniffles the mouse and 7 Hubie and Bertie cartoons directed by Chuck Jones. Most are from the 1940's. This set contains all of them. This seems to be the way Warner Bros is going to release the Looney Tunes. I believe Volume One of the Platinum Edition had complete run of Tasmanian Devil. Sniffles is an example of early Chuck Jones where his style is very Disney like with cute animals. Really not a fan of ether of these cartoon series but if they are first time releases of a cartoons as the ad says, then really can't complain about double dipping if they weren't on any of the Golden collections. Personally I prefer a variety of characters to a complete run of one character.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm sure some of these were in the Golden Collections. I'm glad to have more toons as well, it just makes no sense how they are putting these out. I agree too, variety is much preferred. that's why the Golden Collections were so great. It was nice to have all those Bugs Bunny cartoons, but the more watchable discs where the hodge podge ones with different cartoons from different creators.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Chuck Jones seems to be the only creator to get multiple releases based on his name. Is he the only creator known to the general public?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Garysb /t/320601/whv-announcement-looney-tunes-mouse-chronicles-chuck-jones-collection-blu-ray#post_3924020
Chuck Jones seems to be the only creator to get multiple releases based on his name. Is he the only creator known to the general public?

In all honesty, probably. I imagine Avery and Freeling are probably #'s 2 & 3, though.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'll buy any Tex Avery/MGM set they want to put out that's not part of the Archives (unless things have changed and they now ship to Canada.)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Russell G /t/320601/whv-announcement-looney-tunes-mouse-chronicles-chuck-jones-collection-blu-ray#post_3924016
I'm sure some of these were in the Golden Collections.

You are correct. The 19 shorts are:

- Naughty But Mice (1939)
- Little Brother Rat (1939)
- Sniffles and the Bookworm (1939)
- Sniffles Takes a Trip (1940)
- Egg Collector, The (1940)
- Bedtime For Sniffles (1940)
- Sniffles Bells the Cat (1941)
- Toy Trouble (1941)
- Brave Little Bat, The (1941)
- Unbearable Bear, The (1943)
- Lost and Foundling (1944)
- Hush, My Mouse (1946)
- Aristo Cat, The (1943)
- Trap Happy Porky (1945)
- Roughly Squeaking (1946)
- House Hunting Mice (1948)
- Mouse Wreckers (1948)
- Hypo-Chondri-Cat, The (1950)
- Cheese Chasers (1951)

The following were released on Golden Collections:

- Sniffles Takes a Trip (1940) - Golden Collection Vol. 6 (as a "bonus" short)
- Aristo Cat, The (1943) - Golden Collection Vol. 4
- Mouse Wreckers (1948) - Golden Collection Vol. 2
- Hypo-Chondri-Cat, The (1950) - Golden Collection Vol. 1
- Cheese Chasers (1951) - Golden Collection Vol. 2

I guess this IS the first time on Blu-ray and DVD (as opposed to just DVD) for these ones... Gotta love careful marketing phrasing...

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
It is important to note that this set was originally intended as part of the "Superstars" LT DVD line, but switched to this DVD/Bluray set, likely to capitalize on it being solely Jones' cartoons. You have to hand it to them for taking such a risk with "lesser" Looney Tunes stars. Hopefully this does well enough to bring more WB cartoons to blu-ray
Also, this may be a key set to see Chuck Jones evolve as an animator/director from 1939 - 1951 using characters he created especially considering they are spread pretty evenly over that 12 years.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
TonyD said:
The Hubie & Bertie cartoons are a riot; it would be a mistake to dismiss them out of hand just because the characters are lesser-known. For me, they're worth the price of the set alone. And the last three Sniffles cartoons break the cutesy-poo mold of the earlier ones; Hush My Mouse in particular is a scream, a take-off on the "Duffy's Tavern" radio show, with great Mel Blanc voice work and a classic Edward G. Robinson caricature.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Warner is clueless about how to package cartoons. They cater to OCD completists. No one wants to watch every Sniffles cartoon in chronological order. They want a carefully programmed mix with a good variety of characters, directors and eras.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Quite to the contrary, that it is only people with ODC that would want this. I welcome this addition, and await the next Platinum collection, and T&J Golden Collection Vol 2. This will be a nice addition. Would have thought that instead of this; that they would have done a complete Droopy set in HD first.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Paul Penna said:
Warner is clueless about how to package cartoons. They cater to OCD completists. No one wants to watch every Sniffles cartoon in chronological order. They want a carefully programmed mix with a good variety of characters, directors and eras.
I'll agree with you on this. A variety if characters in chronological order would be more to my tastes. Apparently they can market obscure characters better than the "Loony Toons" brand itself.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I have to admit that I blanked on the character names when I first saw the artwork, but once I read the names in this thread - I fondly recalled the cartoons featuring Hubie and Bertie. Sniffles, not so much (for me); but I'm happy whenever Looney Tunes and Blu-ray are mentioned in the same breath.
- Walter.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
If Warner wants sell through numbers, they need to package cartoons for regular people, not just hardcore fans. Normal people won't sit still for every Sniffles in order. I love cartoons as much as anyone, and I admit I've never gotten all the way through the Yogi Bear DVDs, and when I watch the last Looney Tunes bluray, I skip around so I don't get one Tazmanian Devil or Witch Hazel after another.
I did a screening of cartoons at a local theater once and the menu of my disk listed the titles. I always program a few more shorts than I have time for, just in case I need them. I skipped past a couple of cartoons as I was talking, and after the screening was over, a guy came up to me and was very distressed. He was an odd character and never seemed to take his backpack off. He was genuinely upset that he hadn't gotten to see all the cartoons on the menu screen. He tried to get me to go back into the theater and show the cartoons I had skipped. It was as if he wouldn't be able to sleep at night unless he checked every film off the list. That's the kind of person Warner listens to when they put together these sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks