Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Bi-amping curiosity

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   snake

snake

Agent

• 42 posts

Posted May 08 2012 - 07:57 AM

Sup fellas, I've been looking at buying an Onkyo 809 receiver (to replace the current yamaha) to help set the foundation of a surround system. Got some noob questions though. 1. Will bi-amping (since the receiver is capable) help the front towers (RTi12s) as far as bass output and just general music listening? 2. When I watch a movie, will bi-amping mean my front towers will over power or just be louder than all my other speakers like the center and rears?? Will it be unbalanced I guess is my question. Fill me in guys! The more info the better cause the sounds like a good way to go! :D

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Martino

Martino

Supporting Actor

• 695 posts
  • LocationSanta Clara, CA

Posted May 08 2012 - 08:52 AM

I always found that bi-amping from a single source is more hype than functionally necessary...and besides spending more money on speaker wire you will not notice a difference.... If you have separates (a pre-processor and a separate amp), and want to add a more powerful amp for the bass section of your speakers, then you can use the bi-amp feature of your speakers and will probably hear a slight difference.. I tried doing a bi-amp setup with a single receiver source with my system and didn't notice any difference, except for extra cables....I ended up disconnecting them and just going with a single cable with the speaker jumpers in place... Just go with a normal setup and adjust your speaker levels accordingly... So for your questions....
1. Will bi-amping (since the receiver is capable) help the front towers (RTi12s) as far as bass output and just general music listening?
You won't notice the difference....
2. When I watch a movie, will bi-amping mean my front towers will over power or just be louder than all my other speakers like the center and rears?? Will it be unbalanced I guess is my question.
Once you set the speaker levels - they will not play any louder with a bi-amped mode than in a single connection mode...they will be the same...

#3 of 4 ONLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Producer

• 3,121 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted May 09 2012 - 08:46 AM

One other consideration - if you feel your system is lacking in the bass department, you're probably better off investing in a decent subwoofer to handle the lows rather than try to get more out of your mains.  Not only will modest subwoofers outperform just about any tower speaker, they will be much more cost-effective, too.  It's all about having the right tool for the job and a dedicated sub is what you need for good bass.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,562 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted May 09 2012 - 10:04 AM

Take a look at this thread too: http://www.hometheat...lipsch-speakers
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users