What's new

Zodiac Blue Ray over 100?? (1 Viewer)

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Whats with this ?? I have the HD version and was thinking of getting the Blue Ray ,but its now some collectors thing??

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
if you still have a blockbuster near you. you might want to try there. I bought a rental copy for 10 bucks.
Jacob

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by rsmithjr /t/320567/zodiac-blue-ray-over-100#post_3923741
The British version is Lb 7.99 at amazon.co.uk. I have it and it is fine. Wonderful movie.
Is there a difference in the UK version versus the US release? Maybe, it's the specs.

Crawdaddy

Voon Jiet

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Voon
Robert Crawford said:
Is there a difference in the UK version versus the US release?  Maybe, it's the specs.
Crawdaddy

As I recall, the UK version does not have loseless audio, unlike the US version.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Doesn't the UK version put all the extras on the movie disc, and the US version is two discs? I believe I read that.

rayman1701

Second Unit
Real Name
Ray Miller
Yeah, all the extras are on a single disc, and are not HD...Plus the audio is not lossless. I went ahead and got it since I do have the HD-DVD version and if I need to watch the extras in HD I can do it from there. I got a 2 disc Blu-ray case and put the HD-DVD extras disc in there to keep it handy. Sure it would be nice to have the original 2 disc Blu-ray, but after waiting for too long and it going out of print, you gotta make choices. The UK one is Region Free and at a very good price.

Heck I even customized a scan of the 2-disc cover art to add HD-DVD in red next to the second disc info, and I got the type to match the "old typewriter" font. A small thing, but sometimes those things just bug me, that and I'm just getting into custom covers and this was actually something I had the talent and software to do. Creating customs from scratch, not too sure about that.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I thought I read that there were more extras produced by David Prior but they were left off the HD-DVD (and later Blu-ray) due to space limitations. Seeing as how this strangely went OOP, and Paramount seems to now have a relationship with Criterion, I wonder if we'll see a Criterion ZODIAC with all of Prior's extras at some point?
Vincent

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Does sound like it. He referenced the following on his own forum here not too long ago:
The very idea of a disc more exhaustive than the one we already did makes me exhausted... which isn't to say I wouldn't happily jump at the chance to get into Zodiac again. But there are no plans to revisit the project at this time. The disc going out of print has everything to do with 1) the film not catching fire at the box office and 2) the bloodshed going on in home video industry-wide. Sad as it makes me, the market has dramatically shrunk over the last few years, and it's become harder and harder to convince studios to invest in ambitious projects, let alone revisit past ones, particularly for films that didn't set their britches on fire to begin with.
All that said, I have no doubt that the special edition of Zodiac will find its way to market again eventually, if only to tie in with the release of some future Fincher project. In fact, I'm a little surprised they didn't re-release it to coincide with Dragon Tattoo. But unless the general customer base re-discovers the value of ownership and collectibility, I wouldn't expect too many full revisits of any but the most lucrative, blockbuster movies.
If a Criterion ZODIAC is anything like the Criterion THE GAME we're supposed to get, it'll evidently never happen :)

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I guess about the only thing that Criterion would have been able to add to the package anyway would be an option to view the original theatrical cut. Let's hope Paramount reissues this for all the folks that missed out, and folks like me who are still holding onto their HD-DVDs :)
Vincent

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I am holding on to my HD-DVD, but for GBP10, I went ahead and ordered the UK blu-ray.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I watched the U.K. disc today. The supplements were in high definition. Lossy audio, sure, but HD picture all-the-way.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Blu-ray has no "e" you must know that or just don't care.
:confused:

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Mark Cappelletty said:
How the hell did this go out of print? I find that baffling (and I own it).
I believe lots of Paramount BDs (along with a majority of their catalog DVDs) are out of print.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Scott Calvert said:
I believe lots of Paramount BDs (along with a majority of their catalog DVDs) are out of print.
Very bizarre. I've kept my eyes open for any Paramount catalog titles I'm interested in (from THE NAKED JUNGLE to IS PARIS BURNING) on Amazon, etc. because of this -- and just picked up a copy of the seemingly out-of-print DAY OF THE LOCUST for $7 for my efforts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks