Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

FUNNY FACE and SABRINA Eye Popping Blu-rays

Paramount

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#121 of 138 OFFLINE   Trentrunner

Trentrunner

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted July 28 2012 - 08:53 AM

Where would one purchase these French BDs of Funny Face and Sabrina? Amazon.fr? (I'm in the US.)

#122 of 138 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,257 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted July 28 2012 - 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Trentrunner 

Where would one purchase these French BDs of Funny Face and Sabrina? Amazon.fr? (I'm in the US.)

Yes...that's EXACTLY where I purchased MY copies of these titles, along with Paramount's blu-ray of "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance"...feel confident about purchasing from them, especially if you're already a regular Amazon.com customer!!!Posted Image

#123 of 138 OFFLINE   Trentrunner

Trentrunner

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted July 28 2012 - 09:18 AM

Yes...that's EXACTLY where I purchased MY copies of these titles, along with Paramount's blu-ray of "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance"...feel confident about purchasing from them, especially if you're already a regular Amazon.com customer!!!:tu:

Thanks. Ordered. It was disconcerting and then pleasing to see all my Amazon.com info already populated into the Amazon.fr pages. :)

#124 of 138 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,257 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted July 28 2012 - 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Trentrunner 

Thanks. Ordered. It was disconcerting and then pleasing to see all my Amazon.com info already populated into the Amazon.fr pages. Posted Image

Happy to be of help, Trent.Posted Image

#125 of 138 OFFLINE   Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner

Supporting Actor

• 790 posts

Posted August 16 2012 - 06:34 PM

I have watched Sabrina now. My take on it: It's an older transfer that lacks full 1080p detail but has been processed to look better than it actually is. It looks smoothed and detail enhanced (possibly with the Darbee process). It's also quite contrasty, too contrasty for my taste. Looking forward to Mr. Harris review.

#126 of 138 OFFLINE   Luis Esp

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor

• 585 posts

Posted November 02 2012 - 12:29 PM

There's a showing of Funny Face on November 6th at the TIFF Lightbox here in Toronto, and according to the press release, it's a new digital print.
I'm not nice...people just make that assumption of me.

#127 of 138 OFFLINE   AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Screenwriter

• 1,039 posts
  • LocationWoodend Victoria Australia

Posted November 18 2012 - 07:06 PM

I just bought 'Funny Face' in the Australian bare-bones blu ray edition and it's pretty terrific, and I don't notice the scrubbed-out effect others have complained about. And just in case you're interested in purchase, my Toshiba plays it when I have it locked into its Region A setting which means it's a multi-region Blu ray. Here in Australia it's less than $16 and can be bought from here: www.jbhifi.com.au. At that price, overseas postage still makes it a bargain! Cheers all

#128 of 138 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,370 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted December 03 2012 - 04:43 PM

I've now finally watched Sabrina. And I agree with Mr. Hafner above - it's not so good.

#129 of 138 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,578 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted December 04 2012 - 12:24 AM

When we visited Paramount in October, one of the executives confided that both Sabrina and Funny Face were among the films on the Warners list which I guess means if we see Blu-rays of either of them any time soon, they'll be released through Warners.

#130 of 138 OFFLINE   Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted March 31 2013 - 03:44 PM

When we visited Paramount in October, one of the executives confided that both Sabrina and Funny Face were among the films on the Warners list which I guess means if we see Blu-rays of either of them any time soon, they'll be released through Warners.

Sadly, Warner will probably use the same DNR disaster scans that Paramount did after firing Ron Smith. If they do this and wonder why this discs aren't selling, then they need to do some work in the restoration department. Hopefully Warner will have better sense than to use such severely DNR'd masters for BD releases.

#131 of 138 ONLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,886 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted May 15 2013 - 04:36 PM

I thought the PQ on the Aussie release of "Funny Face" was pretty damn good - not an excessive use of DNR.  The VistaVision films really pull up nicely on Blu.  It's worth pointing out that you'll need to hang onto the older DVDs for all those wonderful extras, because the BD release has nothing except the film - same goes for "Sabrina".

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#132 of 138 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 937 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted May 16 2013 - 12:54 AM

VistaVision releases on blu-ray seem to have come to a complete stop (including Olive). Being a large format process the ones released so far look fantastic, a real showcase for blu-ray.

#133 of 138 ONLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 785 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted September 09 2013 - 03:02 PM

I just got in the Audrey Hepburn Collection (Sabrina, Funny Face, Breakfast at Tiffany's) today from Amazon.uk.  Good price, and the PQ is very good on each of them.

#134 of 138 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,034 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 15 2013 - 04:22 AM

I just got in the Audrey Hepburn Collection (Sabrina, Funny Face, Breakfast at Tiffany's) today from Amazon.uk.  Good price, and the PQ is very good on each of them.

I'm not a fan of Funny Face, but I did buy UK BD of Sabrina.  I thought it looked very good too so I don't quite understand some of the criticism of it, if it's the same BD that was released in France.  Perhaps, I need to take another look at it as I was concentrating mainly on the film itself, but whatever deficiencies it has PQ-wise, they weren't enough to pull me out of the film.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#135 of 138 ONLINE   Todd J Moore

Todd J Moore

Second Unit

• 351 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted November 02 2013 - 09:31 AM

I just watched Funny Face on Amazon Instant Prime. It looked decent for a streaming service. I'm now thinking of buying the Blu Ray, which apparently Amazon.com is selling itself. I have White Christmas, The Ten Commandments, and To Catch A Thief and if Funny Face looks half as good as they do, I'll be happy.

Viewing a 3D movie in 2D is kinda like viewing a Scope movie in Pan and Scan.

#136 of 138 OFFLINE   bujaki

bujaki

Supporting Actor

• 890 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted November 02 2013 - 09:43 AM

Todd,

I have seen Funny Face in 35mm many times since '57. I have also watched Funny Face on Amazon Instant Prime and was surprised at the quality of the transfer and the vibrant colors. I do not own the BD of FF, nor have I seen it. If you do get it, please let me know how you rate it. Thanks.

Jose

#137 of 138 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,903 posts

Posted November 03 2013 - 01:53 AM

I have seen Funny Face in 35mm many times since '57. I have also watched Funny Face on Amazon Instant Prime and was surprised at the quality of the transfer and the vibrant colors. I do not own the BD of FF, nor have I seen it. If you do get it, please let me know how you rate it. 

i have the UK Funny Face BRD. It looks good to me. I've never seen a good print in theaters so I can't say how well it represents the authentic "look" of the film, but the images are clear and clean with vibrant color. You'll probably be very happy with this disc. I am. 

#138 of 138 OFFLINE   verneaux

verneaux

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted November 04 2013 - 07:11 AM

In Funny Face during the 'Clap Yo Hands' number, Astaire does some kicks while on his back with the guitar. There were always rim-shots in the music to accent these kicks until the film came out on DVD. Have the rim-shots been restored for the blu-ray?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Paramount

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users