-

Photo
- - - - -

Problems with TV, connection or DVR?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Mark:F

Mark:F

Stunt Coordinator

• 169 posts

Posted May 04 2012 - 06:29 AM

Having a couple of issues and hope you all can help. I have two Sony 46" LCD's, fairly new, both connected with HDMI directly from Time Warner HDTV DVR's. In turning the TV on, or changing channels, the picture comes on, then goes black for a second, then comes in OK. Would connecting through a receiver eliminate this nuisance? I visited a friend with the same DVR and his TV didn't have this problem, but I don't know how it was connected. Another issue has to do with HD reception. Often I'll tune to a HD station like ESPN and get a faulty connection. If I go to standard TV for a while and then back to HD all is fine. The HDMI cables are good quality, but of course the HDMI plug in connection isn't air tight. Does anyone make a TV with a screw in HDMI connection?

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Producer

• 6,326 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted May 04 2012 - 07:24 AM

the avr (receiver) would not help. What I suggest is changing the output of your DVR box to 1080i only. This would elminate the need for a HDMI handshake every time the resolution changes. Let us know if that helps. Gregg

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Mark:F

Stunt Coordinator

• 169 posts

Posted May 04 2012 - 07:28 AM

Thanks Gregg I'll try it. I assume that setting the DVR at 1080i will still work OK with 720 and 480 signals?

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Producer

• 6,326 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted May 04 2012 - 07:34 AM

yes, the signal will be upconverted to 1080i prior to leaving the box. Once the hand shake occurs at 1080i, it will not happen again until the signal is disrupted or the out resolution (out of the box) is changed. (ps: if you do get a receiver, make sure it is direct mode or video passthrough mode).

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Mark:F

Stunt Coordinator

• 169 posts

Posted May 04 2012 - 11:02 AM

Did the trick thanks!