Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ The Poseidon Adventure -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 of 29 OFFLINE   Ken Volok

Ken Volok

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted July 13 2014 - 09:46 PM

That's funny; we went often to the drive-in and my mother would tell me to turn around and look out the back window when something violent or otherwise inappropriate came up. I was 9 when POSEIDON came out and I insisted we go see it. My mother thought it would be too scary for me, but acquiesced. Well, I couldn't sleep for two nights and lying in bed at night I swear I could feel the motion of being in a boat. I still enjoy viewing it now and then.

We went to DisneyLand soon after I saw this film (6-7yo) and I was terrified the Jungle Cruise boat was going to capsize!

#22 of 29 OFFLINE   Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin

Supporting Actor

• 677 posts
  • LocationThe wilds of Pennsylvania

Posted July 14 2014 - 04:16 AM

Not gonna happen, the dialog elements are long gone and its a huge stretch (despite the claims of LaLa Land Records) to call the soundtrack master tapes "stereo".

Considering this was released on DVD in mono originally due to element deterioration you should be happy with what you got.

Thank you Lord, for telling me how I should feel. :rolleyes:

I have been able to improve the audio experience of this BD by using the high input on my sub-woofer. I have a REL sub and the high input feeds off of bass from the front L&R's. This is giving me more bottom end and improving the sound effects.

#23 of 29 OFFLINE   Ken Volok

Ken Volok

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted July 18 2014 - 01:15 AM

I'm quite happy with the blu-ray

#24 of 29 OFFLINE   Tom St Jones

Tom St Jones

Stunt Coordinator

• 110 posts

Posted October 19 2014 - 02:25 PM

As for Roger Ebert (God rest him)'s nitpicking on the Christmas tree being "conveniently constructed of aluminum tubing", sure it was convenient but if this hadn't been available, surely Hackman and the other passengers with him would have found some other way to climb up there?

I've never felt it made much sense to criticize details like this for the reason I point out. This scene in the film was just one of those oversights (whether unintentional or intentional) that the producers probably figured the audience would, no matter how sophisticated they may or may not be, forgive in the name of having a good time. I think Irwin Allen could produce a work of art when he set out to, but mostly I think he was out to entertain. This picture does that. 

• Walsh61 likes this

#25 of 29 OFFLINE   Brian McP

Brian McP

Second Unit

• 411 posts

Posted October 19 2014 - 09:09 PM

Fantastic movie -- pre "Star Wars" and "Jaws", these disaster movies were as good as it got for thrills and special effects for 10 year old kids (which I was delighted to hear Ronald Neame say on the audio commentary track that these kids were their main target demographic, which is probably why so many people in their 50s love the picture so much)

And that cast -- all wonderful, great actors, many very familiar to kids watching a few of them in tv reruns on a daily basis (my idol Ernest Borgnine, yelling his head off Monday to Friday on "McHale's Navy" especially)

Many interesting things about this movie that may have made it even more kid friendly than the producers and scriptwriters realized -- the movie has only one villain ("Mr. Linarcos" played by Fred Sadoff, rushing the old ship to the wrecking crew in Athens, ordering stoic captain Leslie Neilsen to not take on ballast and go "full ahead") -- also, the entire screenplay (by Sterling Silliphant and Wendell Mayes) is made up of continuous one-liners from everyone (except Fred Sadoff) that kept the kids in the theatre laughing throughout -- a couple toilet gags (involving actual toilets, upright and upside down), fat jokes, scenery chewing by nearly the entire cast kept the 6 track stereo blasting away -- nobody could ever fall asleep during this movie.

This movie played here in Melbourne at Hoyts Cinema Centre in 70mm for 14 months and returned the following year (in 70mm) on a double bill with "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" for another month and a half. ("The Towering Inferno" was by then playing up the street, also in 70mm and ended up playing 13 months, ending its season in the middle of the box office success of "Jaws" in early 1976)

• Eric Vedowski and Walsh61 like this

#26 of 29 OFFLINE   Everett Stallings

Everett Stallings

Second Unit

• 393 posts
  • LocationWilmington,De

Posted October 19 2014 - 10:26 PM

Fantastic movie -- pre "Star Wars" and "Jaws", these disaster movies were as good as it got for thrills and special effects for 10 year old kids (which I was delighted to hear Ronald Neame say on the audio commentary track that these kids were their main target demographic, which is probably why so many people in their 50s love the picture so much)

And that cast -- all wonderful, great actors, many very familiar to kids watching a few of them in tv reruns on a daily basis (my idol Ernest Borgnine, yelling his head off Monday to Friday on "McHale's Navy" especially)

Many interesting things about this movie that may have made it even more kid friendly than the producers and scriptwriters realized -- the movie has only one villain ("Mr. Linarcos" played by Fred Sadoff, rushing the old ship to the wrecking crew in Athens, ordering stoic captain Leslie Neilsen to not take on ballast and go "full ahead") -- also, the entire screenplay (by Sterling Silliphant and Wendell Mayes) is made up of continuous one-liners from everyone (except Fred Sadoff) that kept the kids in the theatre laughing throughout -- a couple toilet gags (involving actual toilets, upright and upside down), fat jokes, scenery chewing by nearly the entire cast kept the 6 track stereo blasting away -- nobody could ever fall asleep during this movie.

This movie played here in Melbourne at Hoyts Cinema Centre in 70mm for 14 months and returned the following year (in 70mm) on a double bill with "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" for another month and a half. ("The Towering Inferno" was by then playing up the street, also in 70mm and ended up playing 13 months, ending its season in the middle of the box office success of "Jaws" in early 1976)

This opened the National theatre on Broadway NY.NY. They had a 3 way turning marquee! It showed 3 different full sized pictures!!! They only used it this once,but what a great way to open a theatre. If you did not see & hear it in 70mm six track big lost.

• Brian McP likes this
Former projectionist @ all downtown theatres in Balto. City.Which are all closed. frown.gif

#27 of 29 OFFLINE   SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,601 posts

Posted October 20 2014 - 03:55 PM

As for Roger Ebert (God rest him)'s nitpicking on the Christmas tree being "conveniently constructed of aluminum tubing", sure it was convenient but if this hadn't been available, surely Hackman and the other passengers with him would have found some other way to climb up there?

I've never felt it made much sense to criticize details like this for the reason I point out. This scene in the film was just one of those oversights (whether unintentional or intentional) that the producers probably figured the audience would, no matter how sophisticated they may or may not be, forgive in the name of having a good time. I think Irwin Allen could produce a work of art when he set out to, but mostly I think he was out to entertain. This picture does that. 

The shopping mall in my town used to erect a giant tree over the water fountain in the center every year, going way back to the 70's. It was all aluminum tubing on the inside. As a kid, I used to think it would be pretty neat to climb up inside.

• JColl likes this

#28 of 29 OFFLINE   Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin

Supporting Actor

• 677 posts
  • LocationThe wilds of Pennsylvania

Posted October 20 2014 - 05:23 PM

I am also a Borgnine fan, and really want to see a Blu-ray of Emperor of the North.

Does anything play for 13 months anymore?!

• Brian McP and Walsh61 like this

#29 of 29 OFFLINE   bujaki

bujaki

Supporting Actor

• 890 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted October 20 2014 - 05:33 PM

In 13 months the BD is already in the bargain bin.

Emperor of the North is a great flick.

• Brian McP and Dr Griffin like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users