Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959) Blu-ray Review

Blu-ray Reviews Twilight Time

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#101 of 120 Jon Lidolt

Jon Lidolt

Stunt Coordinator

• 176 posts

Posted May 23 2012 - 06:42 AM

Funny, I stated a similar opinion about West Side Story, and Chinatown, and Jurassic Park, and Lord Of The Rings. And I got nothing but derision from fellow HTFers for saying so. I'll probably feel the same way about The Sting (which is already generating typical over-reaction) David.

Granted there are horrid transfers that should never have been foisted on us: we all remember Spartacus and Patton as prime examples. But the bulk of the Blu-rays that are churned out these days are so much better than most of the release prints that I used to show when I ran a rep cinema here in Toronto. I often ended up with prints that were warped, laced with splices, scratches, missing frames and fading or faded color. Not to mention how difficult it was to get stereo prints (this was in the mid 70 to 80's). We're incredibly lucky in this age of the Blu-ray to have the luxury to complain about perceived flaws in our copies of Journey to the Center of the Earth. It looks very much the same now as it did for most audiences in 1959. Truth be told, even better in many respects: few viewers got to hear it in 4-track stereo or were lucky enough to see a brand new, unblemished print that was actually shown in focus. I think some us have simply lost our sense of perspective on this matter. If 99% of a transfer looks great, can't we overlook the few minutes that don't meet our impossibly high standards?

#102 of 120 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted May 24 2012 - 03:47 AM

Excellent post, Jon. The first time I saw "Journey" in a theater, in 1972, it had turned completely pink. I wasn't too upset because I was finally seeing it in CinemaScope, but recalling that screening makes me appreciate the quality of the Blu-ray all the more.

#103 of 120 umr1

umr1

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted May 24 2012 - 08:25 AM

I own this Blu-Ray and the DVD while not a reference transfer it is a huge improvement in audio and video. If you are a fan of this film I recommend this disc.

#104 of 120 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,002 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted May 24 2012 - 11:31 AM

Hi Jeff welcome to Home Theater Forum. Have fun here it's a good place. I agree about the disc . Not great but still miles above the other versions available and worth the purchase.

facebook.com/whotony

#105 of 120 Pirate King

Pirate King

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted May 26 2012 - 08:45 AM

I am very happy with my Blu-ray of Journey. It's not perfect, but I believe the transfer is quite good. Audio is also very good. For fans of this classic film, the Blu-ray is a significant improvement over the DVD. Yes, 35.00 is expensive for one movie, but for me, it is a bargain.... having one of my favorite films.

#106 of 120 Scott-S

Scott-S

Test Subject

• 2,024 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Zion

Posted July 28 2012 - 05:26 AM

I was looking to order this on Amazon yesterday and I noticed it was not available (except from 3rd party at $85). Was this a limited edition? Was there a problem with it? Was demand higher than they expected? I was a bit bummed.
-----
Scott

View My DVD Collection
Stop the on-screen Bugs!!!!!!

#107 of 120 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,897 posts

Posted July 28 2012 - 05:27 AM

Scott,

It was limited and it completely sold out within the past month.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#108 of 120 Scott-S

Scott-S

Test Subject

• 2,024 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Zion

Posted July 28 2012 - 05:34 AM

Wow. guess I should have acted earlier. :( Thanks for the info. Now I have to decide.... Should I pay the $85 or hold out for another release that might not happen for a long time?
-----
Scott

View My DVD Collection
Stop the on-screen Bugs!!!!!!

#109 of 120 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,010 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted July 28 2012 - 06:34 AM

I watched part of this the other night in HD on one of my DTV channels. It lookd beautiful. Brilliant color and had plenty of HD detail.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#110 of 120 lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,112 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted July 28 2012 - 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Scott-S 

Wow. guess I should have acted earlier. Posted Image
Thanks for the info.
Now I have to decide.... Should I pay the $85 or hold out for another release that might not happen for a long time?

This is an object lesson in "you snooze, you lose", Scott...Twilight Time's blu-ray releases from Fox & Sony are ALL limited edition pressing runs of 3,000 copies only. If they sell out, as they did here, along with "Mysterious Island" and the original "Fright Night" BD's, you're at the mercy of third-party sellers like E-Bay. You have my sympathies for missing out..."Journey" is a GREAT disc with a near-perfect transfer of the original Cinemascope image with directional 3-channel stereo sound in DTS-MA-HD.

#111 of 120 iDarren

iDarren

Stunt Coordinator

• 76 posts

Posted July 28 2012 - 07:09 AM

Actually, sharpness is not excellent throughout. This looks really soft at 100 inches. Some shots are OK, and I think once they go underground it improves, but there is a LOT of softness in this transfer.

[COLOR=000000] The film’s original theatrical aspect ratio of 2.35:1 is faithfully rendered in this 1080p transfer using the AVC codec. Apart from a few inserts and some other effects work, sharpness is excellent throughout. Color is outstandingly reproduced (one look at the theatrical trailer with its oversaturated brown tones will help the viewer appreciate what we have here; reds are especially vivid), and flesh tones look natural and appealing. Black levels are fairly good but are not the transfer’s most outstanding characteristic. There are some occasional dust specks but nothing intrusive to spoil one's enjoyment of the movie. The film has been divided into 12 chapters.

#112 of 120 iDarren

iDarren

Stunt Coordinator

• 76 posts

Posted July 28 2012 - 07:18 AM

I wonder why Twilight Time couldn't have taken the scenes directly from the Laserdisc. I realize they would have been at a lower resolution, but would have made a welcome extra. David

My thoughts also.

#113 of 120 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,455 posts

Posted July 28 2012 - 07:24 AM

Now I have to decide.... Should I pay the $85 or hold out for another release that might not happen for a long time?

Considering Fright Night currently goes for $100+, it may be wise to pick it up now. However I'd recommend buying JTTCOTE from an Ebay seller instead. On in particular is selling it $70 and a few others cheaper if you are willing to risk bidding.

#114 of 120 john a hunter

john a hunter

Supporting Actor

• 589 posts

Posted July 28 2012 - 03:37 PM

This is an object lesson in "you snooze, you lose", Scott...Twilight Time's blu-ray releases from Fox & Sony are ALL limited edition pressing runs of 3,000 copies only. If they sell out, as they did here, along with "Mysterious Island" and the original "Fright Night" BD's, you're at the mercy of third-party sellers like E-Bay. You have my sympathies for missing out..."Journey" is a GREAT disc with a near-perfect transfer of the original Cinemascope image with directional 3-channel stereo sound in DTS-MA-HD.

Four track, please This is one of the few films of this era that actually maintains its original surround/ effects track.

#115 of 120 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,578 posts

Posted February 24 2013 - 05:54 AM

I watched this with my brother the other night. On his 58" Plasma, the picture was quite breathtaking. Wonderful film that I need to own on Blu. I'll break my rule just this once, and track down a copy on E-Bay.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#116 of 120 Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 801 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted February 26 2013 - 03:44 AM

I am one of the 'lucky' 3000 as this was an essential purchase for me. It is a step up from the DVD but it is undeniably soft and I was a bit disappointed in the picture quality.

#117 of 120 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,578 posts

Posted February 26 2013 - 07:28 AM

Soft, but beautiful.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#118 of 120 RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,164 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted March 06 2013 - 02:25 AM

The long range shots are quite soft but the closeups are a lot better. I watched it with a projected image of 11.5 ft wide.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#119 of 120 Joseph Goodman

Joseph Goodman

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts

Posted March 06 2013 - 06:32 AM

Do the separations that this film was restored from have focus issues? It's not unheard of for separation masters to have been printed out of focus (as RAH has said about the seps for "The Alamo", for example), which could account for the soft look of the transfer and resultant Blu-Ray.

#120 of 120 Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted March 06 2013 - 06:58 AM

Do the separations that this film was restored from have focus issues? It's not unheard of for separation masters to have been printed out of focus (as RAH has said about the seps for "The Alamo", for example), which could account for the soft look of the transfer and resultant Blu-Ray.

It's a possibility, but keep in mind that the OCN was faded and worn beyond restoration (by 2002 standards, the OCN could probably be used today). The seps each have 2 generations of grain. One from the neg and one from the sep. Combined, that makes for 6 layers of grain in addituon to the grain from the internegative created from the seps and the IP from the interneg that was used to create the HD master. Even though the last 2 are modern stocks, the grain and softness from the seps is still pretty intense. That would explain the softness I think. I'm just using the restoration information on the DVD since I'm presuming that the same master was used for the BD because of the image cropping on the bottom edge. Old Fox HD masters from the DVD era on other CinemaScope titles also exhibit a sort of noisy softness caused by HD-level scanning's failure to accurately replicate grain. I do not own the BD and do not plan to due to cost. I evaluated the image quality upon initial release and was not impressed. It would have been great to have that freaking awesome lossless soundtrack and isolated score, but since the UK cut and alternate scenes were not included and Fox didn't bother to do a commentary with the surviving cast, I passed. An audio upgrade was not worth $35 (or more like $80 now). Plus, Fox should have released this title themselves. As the TT sales have proven, there certainly was demand. EDIT: Apparently some members on this forum have posted that it is a 2010 HD transfer. I have my doubts about that- unless the studio did a really sloppy job of it with all the cropping on the bottom edge.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray Reviews, Twilight Time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users