What's new

HDMI "Splitter" confusion (1 Viewer)

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
I've been following some of the threads here about HDMI "splitters" and "switches," but I always end up confused about what I need to get. All I'm looking to do is be able to attach my PS3 and a Blu-Ray player to the sole available HDMI input on my receiver, hopefully something that will not degrade picture and audio quality. All of the posts I've read seem to involve outputting to a multitude of monitors. Do these switches work in both "directions"?

Traybo

Auditioning
Real Name
Tray
:confused:You need an HDMI Switch. A switch allows you to plug in your devices and only take one port on your TV. A splitter splits the signal to multiple displays.

Traybo

Auditioning
Real Name
Tray
You need an HDMI Switch. A switch allows you to plug in your devices and only take one port on your TV. A splitter splits the signal to multiple displays.

Traybo

Auditioning
Real Name
Tray
You need an HDMI Switch. A switch allows you to plug in your devices and only take one port on your TV. A splitter splits the signal to multiple displays.

Real Name
Bobby Hamilton
Don Giro said:
I've been following some of the threads here about HDMI "splitters" and "switches," but I always end up confused about what I need to get. All I'm looking to do is be able to attach my PS3 and a Blu-Ray player to the sole available HDMI input on my receiver, hopefully something that will not degrade picture and audio quality. All of the posts I've read seem to involve outputting to a multitude of monitors. Do these switches work in both "directions"?
Don,
If you don't have a receiver, etc...then I'd look at something like this
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=4088&seq=1&format=2
That way if you ever pick up another device that runs HDMI, you have a few extra slots. You can get one with more slots, and they have a lot of other choices on that site for more/less depending on what you want.
I had an old push button one for a long time because my old receiver only had 2 inputs. But something like that would work just fine.
So this one box should cut it for you

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
Bobby,
Thanks for the quick reply. I DO have a receiver, but unfortunately, but it only has two HDMI ports, so I can only plug my PS3 and DVD player into it. I'd LOVE to be able to attach a new Blu-Ray player because the PS3 tends to run noticeably loud. I don't want to part with my DVD player because it plays all my PAL imported concert discs. My television has two HDMI ports: the receiver goes in one port, my cable box in the other (because of my setup, I watch cable through the TV speaker. I don't have a problem with that).
EDIT: Traybo, I completely missed your reply. Do these switches cause any noticeable degradation of audio and/or video?

Real Name
Bobby Hamilton
Don Giro said:
Bobby,
Thanks for the quick reply. I DO have a receiver, but unfortunately, but it only has two HDMI ports, so I can only plug my PS3 and DVD player into it. I'd LOVE to be able to attach a new Blu-Ray player because the PS3 tends to run noticeably loud. I don't want to part with my DVD player because it plays all my PAL imported concert discs. My television has two HDMI ports: the receiver goes in one port, my cable box in the other (because of my setup, I watch cable through the TV speaker. I don't have a problem with that).
EDIT: Traybo, I completely missed your reply. Do these switches cause any noticeable degradation of audio and/or video?
One like I linked you should not. You could run all your stuff into the switch, and then one line to your TV (or into your receiver, however you prefer).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks