What's new

Upgrading choice -- HTIB, Receiver + separate speakers & sub, or an OPPO player? (1 Viewer)

Amnesiac7

Grip
Real Name
Hello,
I made another thread where I was currently trying to decide whether or not an OPPO player is worth it. One of the primary reasons I would like one is to watch Region 2 Blurays and the like. Basically, I'm looking to upgrade my setup, and I thought I might start with a new Bluray player. Others have suggested that, given my setup, my money would be better spent on an HTIB or a receiver and separate speakers, etc.
Currently, this is what I have:
large.jpg

Samsung - LN40A4650
(purchased in 2008).
820249-playstation_3_super.png

Playstation 3 (also purchased in 2008) - the original, not the Slim.
B0002WPSBC_hero.jpg

Logitech Z5500 (hooked up to the PS3 via optical cable).
So, where should I allocate my money? What needs to be upgraded? I'm thinking perhaps not the Bluray player but first a decent receiver and some speakers.
Should I go for a HITB? Receiver and then separate speakers? The reason I'm leaning towards an HTIB is because I'm in a small one bedroom apartment, and it may be a while before I find myself in a more permanent place of residence (when it would be more appropriate to start building a speaker set up, I think).
My budget is preferably around the $600 mark but, if it's essential and makes sense, I'm willing to consider going up $1000 or $1500.
Note: If I were to go for the HTIB upgrade, I would want something that would not only improve my Bluray watching but also fit in nicely with a vinyl player purchase that I make further down the line.
Thanks.

Amnesiac7

Grip
Real Name
I also have Senheisser HD598s (see below) hooked up to my iMac. Should I spend the money on an amp or receiver for these? Can they simulate or offer 7.1?
5e417f20_31ClPfHwanL._SL500_AA300_.jpeg

Amnesiac7

Grip
Real Name
I also have Senheisser HD598s (see below) hooked up to my iMac. Should I spend the money on an amp or receiver for these? Can they simulate or offer 7.1?

Amnesiac7

Grip
Real Name

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Any reason you can't use the PS3 as the BR player? I really don't know anything about them but I've heard they were very good at BR.
I'd get a decent receiver since it looks like there isn't much new on the horizon as far as "must have" new features goes. They've pretty much settled on hdmi 1.4 with 3D and lossles audio so it looks like internet connectivity and streaming is the direction of the future. I'd look at a Pioneer, Denon or Yamaha which is heavy in those areas. You can take it with you when you move.
The Pioneer 822 is a brand new model for $379 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117409 But also look at comparable Denon's and Yamaha's. ac4l.com sells factory refurbished Denon's, Onkyo's and Marantz's with a warranty. Good value there. A decent receiver will set you back $350-$500 but it should be good for several years.
This from Energy would be a nice starter set http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882269027 Pick up a subwoofer from Partsexpress for a nice little system. http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=CAT&srchCat=620&CFID=3507571&CFTOKEN=67172394 You could sell it later on or use the satellite speakers as your surrounds and purchase some larger Energy front and Center speakers later on.
If you decide on the htib route then Onkyo systems are thought to be the best of the bunch.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Welcome to HTF!
As was said in the Oppo thread, I think that it is overkill when a multi-region blu-ray player can be had for $200.
Don't get me wrong...the Oppo is a great blu-ray player...I have the BDP-93 myself.
By the way, blu-ray regions are A. B. and C--DVD regions are 0-7.
If you can get by without the multi-region capabilities, the PS3 is a fine blu-ray player already. Mine has not had a single problem with a disc I've thrown at it. The only catch about the PS3 is that it will not handle both 3D and high-resolution audio via HDMI at the same time--it does not have the bandwidth. But since you don't have a 3D TV, this is not really an issue.

Amnesiac7

Grip
Real Name
Thanks for the welcome and for the replies.
I also have these (Senheisser HD598s) -- since I want to buy a vinyl player, as well, I wonder if I should just buy an amp for these so that they can simulate 7.1. and allow me to listen to vinyls at fairly premium quality of sound. What do you think?
59740164_HD_598_new.jpeg

Another option, perhaps.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I have a big rig with 7.1 full-range speakers upstairs for critical listening (including SACD and DVD-Audio, I lost my vinyl to water damage) and an old Logitech Z-680 5.1 set hooked up to optical digital to my computer, where I do most of my listening out of iTunes. I also have some Sennheisers, although they are not as nice (or expensive) as yours.
IMO, there is no real simulation of surround sound using just headphones. For stereo reproduction, headphones are fine.

derek1387

Auditioning
Real Name
derek lewis
I was in the same boat as you not even a month ago. Got some great advice on here, and ended up picking up a denon 1612 receiver from Vanns for 199, and a set of Boston acoustics CS2310B 5.1 system for $225 open box.
I could not be happier. $450 and I have brand new equipment with a warranty, and a $1000 setup at that, for half the cost!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks