What's new

Justice League of America...Hopefully Warner will get the idea. (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Avengers has already done over 200million internationally and is projected to be over 500million with the US opening by Sunday. I know Warner has toyed with doing a Justice League movie. If Avengers does what its projected to do. Warner would be foolish not to looking to get a JL movie going. Use Bale as Batman...Use Cavill as Supes. Heck even use Reynolds as Green Lantern. Yes, I know Christopher Nolan has been adamant about his Batman being in a seperate universe as the other heroes. But, really?!? Give him creative control as producer to make sure it stays to his level. Just don't let this opportunity pass.
973706_o.gif

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The biggest thing working against it is salaries. Marvel worked "The Avengers" into all of these big stars' contracts ahead of time in a manner that made it affordable. DC would be starting from scratch with Bale, and Reynolds's solo entry didn't exactly set the world on fire.
I'd like to see it at some point, but I don't think the DC film side has the pieces together right now.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Regarding Batman, I see the Nolan movies existing in a world that doesn't have supes in it. I think they should look at a JLA movie as way to introduce a new actor in the Batman role and start a different take on the character. If Warners makes a cool JLA movie using a new Batman, they will probably have an easier time getting people to accept a Batman movie without Bale or Nolan.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
todd s said:
Avengers has already done over 200million internationally and is projected to be over 500million with the US opening by Sunday. I know Warner has toyed with doing a Justice League movie. If Avengers does what its projected to do. Warner would be foolish not to looking to get a JL movie going. Use Bale as Batman...Use Cavill as Supes. Heck even use Reynolds as Green Lantern. Yes, I know Christopher Nolan has been adamant about his Batman being in a seperate universe as the other heroes. But, really?!? Give him creative control as producer to make sure it stays to his level. Just don't let this opportunity pass.
973706_o.gif
I agree with the others. the nolan batman doesnt work in the justice league timeframe. tim burtons batman had a better chance of doing that.
marvel will probably be on avengers 2 and 3 by the time justice league comes along.
Jacob

muzillu

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
I agree with the author. A Batman reboot at this point is completely unnecessary, will waste time, and insult Nolan's franchise. Nolan's Batman should be in the JL movie, if not Christian Bale, at least another actor. This thing of 'Nolan's Batman exists in a separate universe' is utter nonsense. DC should start producing films for Flash and Wonder Woman, and reboot Green Lantern. If Man Of Steel does well next year, expect to see this happen.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
muzillu said:
This thing of 'Nolan's Batman exists in a separate universe' is utter nonsense.
So looking at the two Nolan Batman movies, you can actually picture Superman or The Flash, etc. existing in the universe established by those movies? That's not to say that they absolutely could not be in the same world but Nolan's Batmans are farily realistic (for a summer comic book movie anyway) while the world of Superman, the JLA and more or less the rest of the DC characters are probably best suited to a more of a comic book world. I'm not saying that one is better than the other but I just can't envision the Batman that Nolan has created hanging out with Superman and fighting crime.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I can imagine Nolan's Batman existing in that "Watchmen" movie, there's no reason to think Superman or Flash or Gorilla Grodd couldn't show up.

The main problem is that DC can't seem to make a decent live action movie that doesn't involve Nolan. Warner's Animation and Bruce Timm are doing fine with the heroes, let them tackle a feature film.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I always got the impression that Nolan's trilogy is meant to stand alone and is not intended to continue under another creator. It may even be left in a place where it can't continue. There was never a plan for his Batman to appear alongside other DC heroes. In that regard, Marvel did the work and DC has not. They need to start with a long-range plan in place if they want to properly do the Justice League.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Russell G said:
I can imagine Nolan's Batman existing in that "Watchmen" movie, there's no reason to think Superman or Flash or Gorilla Grodd couldn't show up.
I can see Nolan's Batman and Watchmen existing in the same world but other than Dr Manhattan (who is clearly one of a kind in their world), none of the Watchmen characters could be considered to be super powered though. They're just insane people who decide to put on a costume and fight crime... much like Batman. :)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Maybe there can be a Batman/Watchmen/Kick-Ass movie, rights-issues aside. Mindy might think that Bats is her daddy, though.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by TravisR /t/320468/justice-league-of-america-hopefully-warner-will-get-the-idea#post_3922530
I can see Nolan's Batman and Watchmen existing in the same world but other than Dr Manhattan (who is clearly one of a kind in their world), none of the Watchmen characters could be considered to be super powered though. They're just insane people who decide to put on a costume and fight crime... much like Batman.

That's my point, Dr. Manhattan doesn't pull you out of the world, there's no reason to think that Superman done right wouldn't work either. It doesn't have to be a grim and gritty Superman either.

As far as the Watchmen not having superpowers, I'd agree with you if you were talking the comic, the movie has them punching through marble counter tops... ;) Which also makes my point in that no one seems to have a problem believing in superheros if they are presented "real world". Nolans Batman would have no problem associating with any other superhero, in fact, it would be interesting to see it since the films have set him up as being so not friendly.

That said, it wont happen. DC/Warners can not get their shit together as far as doing movies based on their comics and that's really the bottom line. If there was a way to make it happen, it would happen. I think it's safe to say that DC/Warners don't care if Nolan wants it to happen or not, it's not like they're known to respect the people who work with their intellectual properties. The only reason they've coddled Nolan so far is to guarantee the Batman films gets finished since they're the only ones to be successful since the Burton ones (which frankly in retrospect aren't really the roaring quality I thought they were they came out). Warner's accomplished that. They'll move on in whatever the way the board of directors wish them too from now on, Nolan's wishes or not.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
todd s wrote (post #1):
I know Warner has toyed with doing a Justice League movie. If Avengers does what its projected to do. Warner would be foolish not to looking to get a JL movie going.
Warner is considering it very carefully, and has been doïng so for years now, right at the very top of the hierarchy. Makes no difference.
Russell G wrote (post #11):
DC/Warners can not get their shit together as far as doing movies based on their comics and that's really the bottom line.
Not just that, but I think it's the same problem preventing the release of the classic 60s kitsch tv series Batman to video. DC is in control of things and therein lies the crux of the problem.
Bear in mind they couldn't even get a Wonder Woman tv series off the ground. "Incompetence" seems to be their middle name.
Don't hold your breath waiting.

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
I think Nolan's Batman would work just fine in a Justice League movie. He's the same Batman in the shadows of Gotham that he is in the tower floating around Earth. Nolan captured the essence of Batman and if and when a Justice League movie comes along, it should still be a Batman with the same personality and same back-story. It's the gathering of strong and different personalities that would make the movie interesting to watch. The ongoing comics get it right, the cartoons get it right, why is Christopher Nolan's Batman any different?

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
MattBradley said:
I think Nolan's Batman would work just fine in a Justice League movie. He's the same Batman in the shadows of Gotham that he is in the tower floating around Earth. Nolan captured the essence of Batman and if and when a Justice League movie comes along, it should still be a Batman with the same personality and same back-story. It's the gathering of strong and different personalities that would make the movie interesting to watch. The ongoing comics get it right, the cartoons get it right, why is Christopher Nolan's Batman any different?
Two reasons.
1. Nolan's Batman is a vigilante working completely outside the law, in the shadows and people are still not completely sure if he is a good guy. The JLA is out in front, common place to see superheroes, work in the daylight, are generally considered the good guys and are government sanctioned. Even the animated series has Batman working with the police, not just Commissioner Gordon and is accepted even if not officially deputized. He is who the police call when things get really bad.
2. JLA has meta-humans and aliens fighting other meta-human villains and powerful aliens. Nolan's Batman has no meta-humans or aliens and has never hinted that any exist. Ras was not immortal as he is in JLA, just a normal human in a long chain of leaders in the League of Shadows.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Chuck Anstey said:
2. JLA has meta-humans and aliens fighting other meta-human villains and powerful aliens. Nolan's Batman has no meta-humans or aliens and has never hinted that any exist. Ras was not immortal as he is in JLA, just a normal human in a long chain of leaders in the League of Shadows.
Well in the Avengers their are 2 normal ( 3 if you include Iron Man) humans fighting against aliens alongside metahumans. Just because we never seen it or hinted about it. Doesn't mean metas don't exist. Actually, Tony Stark is similar to Batman. A wealthy man who uses his smarts and wealth to fight crime. Stark uses a powere armored suit. Wayne uses a armored suit and gadgets. Also, in the new Bats movie. We see Batman using a pretty advanced looking aircraft.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
wow i can't believe so many people think Nolan's Batman would be consistent with a JLA movie. but everyone's entitled to their opinion. i agree with the others who think the Nolan Gotham universe is just too realistic. i mean, the stuff that takes place in Batman Begins would seem out of place in the Dark Knight universe, as the second movie's setting is just that much more less-fantastic than the first.
having said that, Nolan does have his hand in the new Superman so we'll see.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Well, they could do a very different JLA where the Superman is the Steelworker made superman (one of the four in the post doomsday storylines)

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
todd s said:
Well in the Avengers their are 2 normal ( 3 if you include Iron Man) humans fighting against aliens alongside metahumans. Just because we never seen it or hinted about it. Doesn't mean metas don't exist. Actually, Tony Stark is similar to Batman. A wealthy man who uses his smarts and wealth to fight crime. Stark uses a powere armored suit. Wayne uses a armored suit and gadgets. Also, in the new Bats movie. We see Batman using a pretty advanced looking aircraft.
Actually Iron Man and Nolan's Batman are nothing alike because of #1 I posted above. Iron Man is a known superhero out in the open, works both in the daytime and nighttime, and is government tolerated/sanctioned. Spiderman would be a much more apt comparison but The Amazing Spiderman may change that.
Iron Man could have been considered in the real world right up until the end of the credits where we are introduced to Nick Fury and his statement that Tony Stark just entered a much bigger world. The Avengers were always shown to all be in the same universe from the first Iron Man with multiple characters and events shown or referenced in each to tie them together.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Chuck Anstey said:
Actually Iron Man and Nolan's Batman are nothing alike because of #1 I posted above. Iron Man is a known superhero out in the open, works both in the daytime and nighttime, and is government tolerated/sanctioned. Spiderman would be a much more apt comparison but The Amazing Spiderman may change that.
So is Batman- er, uh, let me rephrase that. The government in the Nolan Batman movies is irrelevant because there apparently is none. If there were, I would think someone recklessly driving a tank through city streets, with depraved indifference to human life, who leaves a mass of crashed police cars in his wake and refuses to yield to police authority, who later is responsible for destroying mass transit infrastructure, is accused of killing a high profile DA, who could be easily profiled through his use of accessories, his access to certain technology and his apparently unlimited resources, and on and on- well I just think that if a government actually existed in this universe, that this character wouldn't be so hard to pin down- especially by Federal and state authorities.. Ergo, there must none to begin with.
Or, the other explanation, Nolans movies are only smart and 'more realistic' if you shut your brain off and don't let yourself dwell on any of the holes and logic lapses.
In short there is no real reason a demigod can't exist in this kind of film. Just have them mope around po faced, stick them in desaturated looking body armor, and millions of people will eat it up.
And ask for seconds.
;)

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Joss Whedon had once been involved in developing a theatrical script for Wonder Woman, before the failed TV attempt. If he could do for Justice League what he did for The Avengers, Warner Bros. would be crazy not to let him try.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks