Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

help with powering car audio equipment

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   KevinW

KevinW

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted May 01 2012 - 01:40 PM

I'm building a boombox using car audio gear and the only problem I haven't solved is the ac to dc power conversion. I've read numerous suggestions on using an atx power supply, but some say that it is "dirty" power. So I've started looking for a 12v regulated power supply. From what I've gathered it looks like it would need to be 10-15 amps to drive the head unit. Any other ideas or suggestion on where to look? Thanks.

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Screenwriter

• 1,581 posts

Posted May 02 2012 - 05:33 PM

It's been 10 years since I had my current system installed so not sure what "dirty" power is regarding but I think my system is like this..... I have an 8awg wire from battery to my amp(had 2 amps but removed one for space along with my sub), I also have 8awg ground. My head unit is wired up how my stock stereo was, I believe power and antenna wire, then I have my antenna and RCA from my HU to my amp. I don't know if that is what you need. edit - I have never seen an atx power supply, how hardcore is this setup? I have never had more than 2 amp, an amp for my Sub and an amp for my Highs.
I have seen Larry David in action, and that man is an animal, and he has to be stopped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users