-

Photo
- - - - -

Do I need an amp?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 bobby hamilton

bobby hamilton

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted May 01 2012 - 01:32 AM

Right now I run in my main theater room a Pioneer Elite VSX-23. Main speakers are Polk Monitor 60's and a CS20 center channel. Rear speakers are some old sony bookshelf, although I found a cheap set of Klipsch VS-14's I'll be getting soon. I'm moving in about 3 weeks, so I'm setting up the new basement, running all the wiring in wall, etc. At this point, I'm trying to decide if I need a seperate amp, or if what is built in to the Elite is good enough. I have a basic understanding, but I've never used one. I probably won't be upgrading speakers anytime soon either. Thoughts?

#2 of 3 Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,163 posts

Posted May 01 2012 - 03:47 AM

The VSX-23 should be plenty powerful enough. Unless you're in an extremely large room there's no need to even consider moving to a dedicated amp, or offloading speakers with a combined amp. You didn't mention a sub though. If you don't have one that would be a good addition, and would make you feel like you had a new amp.

#3 of 3 bobby hamilton

bobby hamilton

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted May 01 2012 - 04:28 AM

I'm sorry, yes I have a Def Tech sub. I didn't really think I needed and Amp, and the room isn't large, but this is just not a territory I'm as familiar with. Thanks!