Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

PHE Press Release: Star Trek The Next Generation Season One

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#1 of 39 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,253 posts

Posted April 30 2012 - 11:15 PM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

CELEBRATING ITS 25TH ANNIVERSARY, LEGENDARY SERIES

MAKES ITS FULL-SEASON BLU-RAY™ DEBUT

THE FIRST SEASON BLU-RAY

New High-Definition Transfer With Staggering Before/After Results Boasts

Exclusive Special Features Including Never-Before-Seen Archival Footage,

Brand New Interviews With Key Players, Gag Reel And More!

Available July 24, 2012

HOLLYWOOD,  Calif.  (April  30,  2012)    The  enduringly  popular  sci-fi  favorite  STAR  TREK:

THE   NEXT   GENERATION      THE   FIRST   SEASON   makes   its   Blu-ray   debut   on   July   24   from

th

2012,  the  beloved  series  continues  to  enthrall  fans  with  its  exciting  and  socially  relevant  tales  of  space

th

STAR  TREK:  THE  NEXT  GENERATION    THE  FIRST  SEASON  has  been  retransferred  from

original  film  elements  to  produce  stunning  high-definition  images,  including  amazing  visual  effects  that

have  been  painstakingly  recreated  from  the  source  material,  creating  before/after  results  that  fans  will

love.   The  six-disc  Blu-ray  set  also  features  7.1  DTS-HD  Master  Audio  and  a  wealth  of  exclusive  bonus

material,  such  as  archival  footage,  a  gag  reel,  and  an  inside  look  at  taking  The  Next  Generation  to  the

next  level  of  high-definition.    Featuring  numerous  behind-the-scenes  interviews,  the  new  material  also

features  Star  Trek  experts  Mike  and  Denise  Okuda,  consultants  throughout  this  ongoing  project,  who

offer special insights into the countless man-hours dedicated to the upgrade of The Next Generation.

Featuring   one   of   the   most   endearing   ensemble   casts   in   television   history,   STAR   TREK:

THE  NEXT  GENERATION  took  fans  on  the  remarkable  continuing  voyages  of  the  Starship  Enterprise

with   Captain   Jean-Luc   Picard   (Patrick   Stewart),   Commander   William   T.   Riker   (Jonathan   Frakes),

Lt.   Commander   Geordi   La   Forge   (LeVar   Burton),   Counselor   Deanna   Troi   (Marina   Sirtis),

Lt.    Commander    Data    (Brent    Spiner),    Lieutenant    Worf    (Michael    Dorn),    Dr.    Beverly    Crusher

(Gates McFadden) and Wesley Crusher (Wil Wheaton).

The STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION  THE FIRST SEASON Blu-ray set will be available in

1080p with English 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, English Stereo Surround, French Mono, Japanese Mono and

German  Mono  (with  the  exception  of  “Encounter  at  Farpoint”  which  is  in  German  Stereo).    The  discs  also

include  English  SDH,  French,  German,  Castilian,  Italian,  Japanese,  Danish,  Dutch,  Finnish,  Norwegian  and

Swedish  subtitles.  The  Blu-ray  is  not  rated  in  the  U.S.  and  rated  PG  in  Canada.   The  disc  breakdown  is  as

follows:

Disc One:

Episodes

·    Encounter at Farpoint

·    The Naked Now

·    Code of Honor

Special Features

·    Episodic Promos

·    Energized! Taking The Next Generation to the Next Level (HD)

·    Star Trek: The Next Generation Archives: The Launch

o    Introduction to the Series (1987)

o    Promo #1

o    Promo #2

o    Promo #3

o    Season One Promo

Disc Two:

Episodes

·    The Last Outpost

·    Where No One Has Gone Before

·    Lonely Among Us

·    Justice

·    The Battle

Special Features

·    Episodic Promos

Disc Three:

Episodes

·    Hide and Q

·    Haven

·    The Big Goodbye

·    Datalore

·    Angel One

Special Features

·    Episodic Promos

Disc Four:

Episodes

·    Too Short a Season

·    When the Bough Breaks

·    Home Soil

·    Coming of Age

Page 2 of 3

Special Features

·    Episodic Promos

Disc Five:

Episodes

·    Heart of Glory

·    The Arsenal of Freedom

·    Symbiosis

·    Skin of Evil

·    We’ll Always Have Paris

Special Features

·    Episodic Promos

Disc Six:

Episodes

·    Conspiracy

·    The Neutral Zone

Special Features

·    Episodic Promos

·    Stardate Revisited: The Origin of Star Trek: The Next Generation (HD)

o    Part 1: Inception

o    Part 2: Launch

o    Part 3: The Continuing Mission

·    Gag Reel

·    Archival Mission Logs

o    The Beginning

o    Selected Crew Analysis

o    The Making of a Legend

o    Memorable Missions

CBS  Home  Entertainment  manages  the  worldwide  DVD  and  Blu-ray  businesses  for  the  CBS

Corporation across all lines of content including current hits and classic series from the vast CBS library,

as  well  as  new  releases  from  Showtime  Video.   CBS  Home  Entertainment  products  are  released  on  the

CBS DVD and CBS Blu-ray labels.

Paramount Home Media Distribution (PHMD) is part of Paramount Pictures Corporation (PPC), a

global producer and distributor of filmed entertainment.   PPC is a unit of Viacom (NASDAQ: VIA, VIAB), a

leading  content  company  with  prominent  and  respected  film,  television  and  digital  entertainment  brands.

The  PHMD  division  oversees  PPC’s  home  entertainment,  digital  and  television  distribution  activities

worldwide.  The  division  is  responsible  for  the  sales,  marketing  and  distribution  of  home  entertainment

content   on   behalf   of   Paramount   Pictures,   Paramount   Animation,   Paramount   Vantage,   Paramount

Classics,  Insurge  Pictures,  MTV,  Nickelodeon,  Comedy  Central,  CBS  and  PBS  and  for  providing  home

entertainment  fulfillment  services  for  DreamWorks  Animation  Home  Entertainment.   PHMD  additionally

manages   global   licensing   of   studio   content   and   distribution   across   worldwide   digital   and   television

distribution platforms including online, mobile and portable devices and emerging technologies.

STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION Season One

Street Date:                             July 24, 2012

Catalog #:                                 146604

Runtime:                                   1,184 minutes

U.S. Rating:                             Not Rated

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 39 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,898 posts

Posted May 01 2012 - 12:28 AM

Nice to see the episode promos on there. It was a big omission on the earlier releases.

#3 of 39 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,793 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted May 01 2012 - 01:40 PM

So I guess my only question on the trailers-and don't crucify me for being an uber-nerd-is which version is going to be on there: the original "All New Episode" edition or the regular ones.  Not that it really matters.  I'm just over the moon some version is going to be included AND this set is three months away.

All New Episode

versus

Regular Trailer

#4 of 39 ONLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,453 posts

Posted May 03 2012 - 10:15 AM

trekmovie has screen captures that CBS has provided them to be enjoyed as we wait. http://trekmovie.com...blu-ray-images/

#5 of 39 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,685 posts

Posted May 03 2012 - 12:24 PM

WOW! And me being a huge first season fan, safe to say I think I'm in for a treat. Can't wait to see the lonely terraforming complex in "Home Soil".

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#6 of 39 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted May 03 2012 - 03:34 PM

I am happy that they are releasing TNG the way it deserves to be seen, but I notice there is no MSRP in the press release which I would assume indicates a premium price for this set.

#7 of 39 OFFLINE   Scott D S

Scott D S

Supporting Actor

• 836 posts

Posted May 15 2012 - 12:56 AM

Per the press release on TVShowsonDVD.com, two seconds are still missing: http://www.tvshowson...-1-Extras/16943 (NOTE: 2 seconds of the original film elements for the episode "We'll Always Have Paris" have not been located and thus have been upconverted from Standard Definition videotape) On the other hand, it looks like there WILL be a theatrical screening! To promote this release, studio sources say that on Monday July 23rd, the day before the street date of this set, there will be a theatrical screening event at approximatly 600 theaters, located in 49 U.S. markets. The screening will include 2 high-definition Season 1 episodes, "Where No One Has Gone Before" and "Datalore," along with behind-the-scenes extras! This screening will be promoted online, via social media, mobile, and in-theater...look for it!

#8 of 39 OFFLINE   smithb

smithb

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted May 15 2012 - 01:16 AM

I am happy that they are releasing TNG the way it deserves to be seen, but I notice there is no MSRP in the press release which I would assume indicates a premium price for this set.

That may be the case. It's currently available for preorder on Amazon UK for 52 pounds, which translates to about $83 US. It doesn't say at this time if that is the MSRP or a discounted preorder price. Personally, I will need to see it work down to the $50 US range a season for me to be interested. And even then I'm not sure I would pick up all seasons (just saw it too many times over the years in early syndication). Now DS9 with it's stronger story arc could get me to purchase in HD, but that will probably be a few years away, if at all. I just started going through the DS9 DVD's recently, so a few years wait is fine for me.

#9 of 39 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,793 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted May 15 2012 - 04:44 AM

Based on the "original" tag in front of the promos, I'm not cautiously optimistic these are the "All New Episode" trailers and not the syndicated/rerun versions.

July can't get here fast enough.  I may even get to the theater for WNOHGB/Datalore because I'm THAT big a nerd...

#10 of 39 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,253 posts

Posted May 22 2012 - 09:16 AM

Available for preorder now.

The price?  Ouch!

Ronald J Epstein

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#11 of 39 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,793 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted May 22 2012 - 09:48 AM

This has to be cheaper release week.  Just has to be.

But it likely won't matter to me...

#12 of 39 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted May 22 2012 - 10:00 AM

It's in the shopping cart, but will be waiting for a substantial price drop before taking the plunge.

#13 of 39 ONLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,453 posts

Posted May 22 2012 - 10:07 AM

That price looks about right. Given how much TOS remastered was and how much effort went into this remaster, it's about what I expected. I don't doubt the price will be adjusted before release date. Edit: Trekmovie.com lists the price at Walmart as $78.86. No doubt that will influence Amazon's price.

#14 of 39 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,253 posts

Posted May 22 2012 - 11:37 AM

Nelson,

I get the costs involved, but my pricepoint on this would be $60 a season.

This is considering that there are 7 seasons to purchase in all.

Really, as big a fan as I am, I am going to wait for all of these to be released

and then re-released in a complete boxed set.  I am hoping the package
will be offered at a more substantial savings than spending this kind of money

on each individual season.

Ronald J Epstein

#15 of 39 ONLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,453 posts

Posted May 22 2012 - 12:24 PM

Hey Ron, that's a very good point that there are 7 seasons verses 3 that the TOS series has. So that cost issue is an important consideration. I hope that the street prices will drop as well.

#16 of 39 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted May 28 2012 - 05:48 AM

Price is down to 78.86 at Amazon. Still pretty steep, but hopefully it will drop some more before release. If not, I'll wait for the inevitable sales later in the year.

#17 of 39 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,685 posts

Posted May 28 2012 - 11:20 AM

Price is down to 78.86 at Amazon. Still pretty steep, but hopefully it will drop some more before release. If not, I'll wait for the inevitable sales later in the year.

Thanks Jeff. I just pre-ordered it.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#18 of 39 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,003 posts

Posted June 01 2012 - 06:49 AM

TNG HD preview in theaters! http://trekmovie.com...re-order-price/

#19 of 39 ONLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,453 posts

Posted June 01 2012 - 08:41 AM

I saw the remastered The Menagerie parts 1 and 2 at theaters when the blu-ray was about to be released for TOS. That was fun, but it was problematic. The pre-show behind the scenes intro by Rod Roddenberry played with no sound most of the way through. I wasn't sweating it as I hoped it would be on the blu ray, but it wasn't as far as I can tell. And I hear it wasn't true full HD. I'll probably pass on the theatrical run of the TNG episodes. It will probably look better at home! And sound better too at home! Plus the episodes are only okay. I'll bet Where No Man Has Gone Before will look fantastic when the ship ends up in that region of space with all the colors there.

#20 of 39 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Lead Actor

• 9,363 posts

Posted June 01 2012 - 09:45 AM

Nelson, You might want to check out the Movies (Theatrical) thread, as I posted this news a bit earlier today. The links may be different and informative. :) http://www.hometheat...-the-big-screen