What's new

SUNSET BOULEVARD on November 6, 2012! (1 Viewer)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
This was posted by CMNPlanet on the Blu-ray.com forums. Fom a Paramount trade ad.
Very exciting news! This is one of my all-time favourites!
0a33fa65_user172705_pic14767_1335795855.png

400d495e_user172705_pic14766_1335795736.jpeg

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Originally Posted by Andrew Budgell /t/320410/sunset-boulevard-on-november-6-2012#post_3921443
This was posted by CMNPlanet on the Blu-ray.com forums. Fom a Paramount trade ad.
Very exciting news! This is one of my all-time favourites!
0a33fa65_user172705_pic14767_1335795855.png

400d495e_user172705_pic14766_1335795736.jpeg

Great...now, where's "Stalag 17", Paramount??? Your centennial isn't truly complete without this other Billy Wilder classic being released in HD blu-ray!!!

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
lukejosephchung said:
Great...now, where's "Stalag 17", Paramount??? Your centennial isn't truly complete without this other Billy Wilder classic being released in HD blu-ray!!!
That's how I feel about A Place in the Sun.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I'm definitely excited about this, as it's one of my favorites, too. I know the film has been restored, so I'm hoping the disc reflects that work accurately.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Since a certain person who was doing a stellar job with classic catalog titles at Paramount is now gone, my hopes are diminished. I'm steeling myself for a Blu-ray re-purposing of the 10 year-old Lowry restoration.

Ironically, the excellent DVD that was released a decade ago was created by the person who should really be overseeing a new harvest/scan for the Blu-ray.

I would love to hear Mr. RAH's updated thoughts, when the time comes...

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Originally Posted by eric scott richard /t/320410/sunset-boulevard-on-november-6-2012#post_3921498
How do you know that he didn't work on it before he left?

I said my hopes are diminished - but there's hope.

"Forget it, Jake, it's Chinatown."

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I reviewed the Centennial Collection DVD of Sunset Boulevard a couple of years ago, and I believe it was a down rez version of their (then) new HD master. I had the older DVD and did A-B comparisons and they weren't the same transfer. The new release I liked better as I recall, but I did a lot of those Centennial COllection releases at the time (four of Audrey's biggies for Paramount plus Sunset Boulevard), so I may be mixing the A-B comparisons I did with some of those. I did think it looked smashing.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Of course, I am thrilled Paramount is releasing my second favorite film ever (after only BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI) as a Blu-ray.
But, you know, the 100th Anniversay thing from this studio is staggeringly disappointing (we get CLUE and CLUELESS, but not WAR OF THE WORLDS, ROSEMARY'S BABY, STALAG 17, DRAGONSLAYER, THE DUELLISTS, etc. etc.). I think Universal is doing a much more comprehensive job of getting their clasics out during their own 100th promotion, in spite of various omissions we might all regret. Paramount's lack of effort is only slightly better than Fox's dismal 75th Anniversary material.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
MatthewA said:
I'm definitely excited about this, as it's one of my favorites, too. I know the film has been restored, so I'm hoping the disc reflects that work accurately.
Sorry, but you really don't

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by lukejosephchung /t/320410/sunset-boulevard-on-november-6-2012#post_3921446

And I feel that same way about SAMSON AND DELILAH and THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Dick /t/320410/sunset-boulevard-on-november-6-2012#post_3941526
Of course, I am thrilled Paramount is releasing my second favorite film ever (after only BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI) as a Blu-ray.
But, you know, the 100th Anniversay thing from this studio is staggeringly disappointing (we get CLUE and CLUELESS, but not WAR OF THE WORLDS, ROSEMARY'S BABY, STALAG 17, DRAGONSLAYER, THE DUELLISTS, etc. etc.). I think Universal is doing a much more comprehensive job of getting their clasics out during their own 100th promotion, in spite of various omissions we might all regret. Paramount's lack of effort is only slightly better than Fox's dismal 75th Anniversary material.
I agree with you about this. However, I think Rosemary's Baby is going to Criterion which makes me pleased.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
ahollis said:
And I feel that same way about SAMSON AND DELILAH and THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH.  :)
Didn't an interview last year state that Samson and Delilah was in the works by Paramount? I haven't heard much about it since.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by JoHud /t/320410/sunset-boulevard-on-november-6-2012#post_3941558
Didn't an interview last year state that Samson and Delilah was in the works by Paramount? I haven't heard much about it since.

There has been talk of it, but as you can see from the blurb above, it just seems to be talk and no action. I heard they were going to release FUNNY FACE, but again nothing confirmed.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
MattH. said:
 I agree with you about this. However, I think Rosemary's Baby is going to Criterion which makes me pleased.
Hi, Matt. This is the second or third time I have heard this rumor - from where does it originate?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
ahollis said:
  I heard they were going to release FUNNY FACE, but again nothing confirmed. 
As Funny Face has already been released on Blu-ray in France, you can be sure it's coming. It's just a matter of when.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks