Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

SUNSET BOULEVARD on November 6, 2012!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 of 36 Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,176 posts

Posted April 30 2012 - 09:12 AM

This was posted by CMNPlanet on the Blu-ray.com forums. Fom a Paramount trade ad. Very exciting news! This is one of my all-time favourites! http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/ http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

#2 of 36 lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,107 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted April 30 2012 - 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Andrew Budgell 

This was posted by CMNPlanet on the Blu-ray.com forums. Fom a Paramount trade ad.
Very exciting news! This is one of my all-time favourites!
http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/
http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

Great...now, where's "Stalag 17", Paramount??? Your centennial isn't truly complete without this other Billy Wilder classic being released in HD blu-ray!!!

#3 of 36 Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,176 posts

Posted April 30 2012 - 09:21 AM

Great...now, where's "Stalag 17", Paramount??? Your centennial isn't truly complete without this other Billy Wilder classic being released in HD blu-ray!!!

That's how I feel about A Place in the Sun.

#4 of 36 lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,107 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted April 30 2012 - 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Andrew Budgell 

That's how I feel about A Place in the Sun.

Forgot to include this in my post, Andrew...thanks for reminding me!!!Posted Image

#5 of 36 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 5,991 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted April 30 2012 - 10:53 AM

I'm definitely excited about this, as it's one of my favorites, too. I know the film has been restored, so I'm hoping the disc reflects that work accurately.

Enough is enough, Disney. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray.

My DVD/BD List at DVD Aficionado

#6 of 36 Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,441 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted April 30 2012 - 01:21 PM

Since a certain person who was doing a stellar job with classic catalog titles at Paramount is now gone, my hopes are diminished. I'm steeling myself for a Blu-ray re-purposing of the 10 year-old Lowry restoration.

Ironically, the excellent DVD that was released a decade ago was created by the person who should really be overseeing a new harvest/scan for the Blu-ray.

I would love to hear Mr. RAH's updated thoughts, when the time comes...

#7 of 36 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted April 30 2012 - 01:25 PM

How do you know that he didn't work on it before he left?

#8 of 36 Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,441 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted April 30 2012 - 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by eric scott richard 

How do you know that he didn't work on it before he left?

I said my hopes are diminished - but there's hope.

"Forget it, Jake, it's Chinatown."

#9 of 36 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,626 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 30 2012 - 02:14 PM

I reviewed the Centennial Collection DVD of Sunset Boulevard a couple of years ago, and I believe it was a down rez version of their (then) new HD master. I had the older DVD and did A-B comparisons and they weren't the same transfer. The new release I liked better as I recall, but I did a lot of those Centennial COllection releases at the time (four of Audrey's biggies for Paramount plus Sunset Boulevard), so I may be mixing the A-B comparisons I did with some of those. I did think it looked smashing.

#10 of 36 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,597 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted May 01 2012 - 02:46 AM

Very excited for both Sunset Boulevard and Catch Me If You Can!

#11 of 36 Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 1,809 posts

Posted June 22 2012 - 04:40 PM

Any new features for Sunset Boulevard? 4K transfer?

#12 of 36 willyTass

willyTass

Second Unit

• 348 posts

Posted June 22 2012 - 05:34 PM

was the original negative ever found?

#13 of 36 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 3,966 posts

Posted June 23 2012 - 06:10 AM

Of course, I am thrilled Paramount is releasing my second favorite film ever (after only BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI) as a Blu-ray. But, you know, the 100th Anniversay thing from this studio is staggeringly disappointing (we get CLUE and CLUELESS, but not WAR OF THE WORLDS, ROSEMARY'S BABY, STALAG 17, DRAGONSLAYER, THE DUELLISTS, etc. etc.). I think Universal is doing a much more comprehensive job of getting their clasics out during their own 100th promotion, in spite of various omissions we might all regret. Paramount's lack of effort is only slightly better than Fox's dismal 75th Anniversary material.

#14 of 36 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,320 posts

Posted June 23 2012 - 07:18 AM

I'm definitely excited about this, as it's one of my favorites, too. I know the film has been restored, so I'm hoping the disc reflects that work accurately.

Sorry, but you really don't

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#15 of 36 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,505 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted June 23 2012 - 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by lukejosephchung 

And I feel that same way about SAMSON AND DELILAH and THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH.  Posted Image

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#16 of 36 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,626 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted June 23 2012 - 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Dick 

Of course, I am thrilled Paramount is releasing my second favorite film ever (after only BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI) as a Blu-ray.
But, you know, the 100th Anniversay thing from this studio is staggeringly disappointing (we get CLUE and CLUELESS, but not WAR OF THE WORLDS, ROSEMARY'S BABY, STALAG 17, DRAGONSLAYER, THE DUELLISTS, etc. etc.). I think Universal is doing a much more comprehensive job of getting their clasics out during their own 100th promotion, in spite of various omissions we might all regret. Paramount's lack of effort is only slightly better than Fox's dismal 75th Anniversary material.

I agree with you about this. However, I think Rosemary's Baby is going to Criterion which makes me pleased.

#17 of 36 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted June 23 2012 - 08:46 AM

And I feel that same way about SAMSON AND DELILAH and THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH.  :)

Didn't an interview last year state that Samson and Delilah was in the works by Paramount? I haven't heard much about it since.

#18 of 36 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,505 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted June 23 2012 - 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by JoHud 

Didn't an interview last year state that Samson and Delilah was in the works by Paramount? I haven't heard much about it since.

There has been talk of it, but as you can see from the blurb above, it just seems to be talk and no action.  I heard they were going to release FUNNY FACE, but again nothing confirmed.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#19 of 36 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 3,966 posts

Posted June 23 2012 - 03:29 PM

I agree with you about this. However, I think Rosemary's Baby is going to Criterion which makes me pleased.

Hi, Matt. This is the second or third time I have heard this rumor - from where does it originate?

#20 of 36 Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,724 posts

Posted June 23 2012 - 08:14 PM

I heard they were going to release FUNNY FACE, but again nothing confirmed. 

As Funny Face has already been released on Blu-ray in France, you can be sure it's coming. It's just a matter of when.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users