What's new

3D Why is my 3D movie not as nice as at the store? (1 Viewer)

Rolando

Screenwriter
Hi guys,
I thought this might go in the display section but because it was specific to 3D movies only maybe this is better. Of course mods feel free to move it if you feel you should.
I bought an LG 55 W5700. It is a passive 3D TV and in store despite poor lighting conditions the picture was not bad. Most importantly the 3D effect was pretty good. Depth was decent most the out of screen effect was obvious. They had a demo of Rio (the animated movie) the and an underwater documentary and both were great. I can still remember the head of this big fishing literally owing out of the screen. Again I am standing in the middle of a Best Buy not sitting at ome in a dark room with a calibrated TV. Maybe that's the problem :)
Seriously though, I am home now and have made adjustments of course. No standard mode for me. My adjustments are pretty close to the cinema mode but with all processing, that I can think of, off. Auto room lighting adjustment off, true motion off etc.
Picture when watching a bluray is great. I am actually impressed. Not perfect, not quite the film like image of my CRT RPTV but really not bad. However 3D movies are all depth and no POW if you know what I mean. Nothing pops out. There is little to no out of screen effect.
Granted I have not see Rio at home nor that under water documentary but it can't be the only 2.
Here is what I have seen that expected more from:
Beauty and the Beast
Cloudy with a chance of meatballs (biggest dissapointment. I was sure there would be some pop)
Tin tin (amazing movie, jaw dropping visuals and great depth but no Out Of Screen Effect)
Mars needs mom (the closest one to having some after...)
Puss in boots. Best of the bunch, great depth but even the best pop effects impresses only first timers.
Also saw Conan but had already heard about the conversion so was not too dissapointed as expectations were low.
Is it my settings? Do I need awfull colors? Blooming store like brightness and contrast?
What am I missing?

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I don't know for sure, but perhaps Rio and the Underwater documentary were shot specifically in 3D. Therefore the 3D effect is more pronounced vs. movies shot in 2D then "converted" to 3D. Just guessing here.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The most pronounced 3D movie I've got that is generally available in stores is Megamind. It is a veritable outward projection field day. We've reviewed many of the movies you named at this site. I did Beauty and the Beast and Mars Needs Moms, so you can check those reviews to see what I thought of the 3D experience. I don't remember either one having much outward projection (Beauty and the Beast didn't have any since it was a conversion; not sure about MNM).

Now, I have an active 3D rig, so I can't speak to the passive 3D experience. I've never tried it. What 3D Blu-ray player are you using? I think some of the players have an adjustment in the 3D settings to let you experiment with the amount of depth and outward thrust you want (I believe my Panasonic has such a setting).

Danoldrati

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Oldrati
HI
I have a" 47LW6500" LG and on page 51 of the manual you will find " setting 3D imaging" instructions. . I'm very happy with my TV's 3D picture.
Good luck
Dan

Danoldrati

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Oldrati
Hello again
Why don't you try getting a copy of "Jouney to the Center of the Earth" Blu Ray 3D. The film contains quite a few pop-out effects and very good ones.
Dan

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Rolando said:
Hi guys,
I thought this might go in the display section but because it was specific to 3D movies only maybe this is better. Of course mods feel free to move it if you feel you should.
I bought an LG 55 W5700. It is a passive 3D TV and in store despite poor lighting conditions the picture was not bad. Most importantly the 3D effect was pretty good. Depth was decent most the out of screen effect was obvious. They had a demo of Rio (the animated movie) the and an underwater documentary and both were great. I can still remember the head of this big fishing literally owing out of the screen. Again I am standing in the middle of a Best Buy not sitting at ome in a dark room with a calibrated TV. Maybe that's the problem :)
Seriously though, I am home now and have made adjustments of course. No standard mode for me. My adjustments are pretty close to the cinema mode but with all processing, that I can think of, off. Auto room lighting adjustment off, true motion off etc.
Picture when watching a bluray is great. I am actually impressed. Not perfect, not quite the film like image of my CRT RPTV but really not bad. However 3D movies are all depth and no POW if you know what I mean. Nothing pops out. There is little to no out of screen effect.
Granted I have not see Rio at home nor that under water documentary but it can't be the only 2.
Here is what I have seen that expected more from:
Beauty and the Beast
Cloudy with a chance of meatballs (biggest dissapointment. I was sure there would be some pop)
Tin tin (amazing movie, jaw dropping visuals and great depth but no Out Of Screen Effect)
Mars needs mom (the closest one to having some after...)
Puss in boots. Best of the bunch, great depth but even the best pop effects impresses only first timers.
Also saw Conan but had already heard about the conversion so was not too dissapointed as expectations were low.
Is it my settings? Do I need awfull colors? Blooming store like brightness and contrast?
What am I missing?
When I worked in a retail store I use to get this question a lot. People would see the demo 3-D disk with all the objects coming out of the screen and think this is what all 3-d movies are like. They are not. The director of the film decides if he wants a lot, a few or no out-of-the-screen effects for his movie. The titles you list have very little out-of-the-screen 3-D effects. If your looking for titles with a lot of them, check out Ron's list of the top 16 3-D films - http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/306751/htf-top-16-must-own-3d-titles . He and I like the pop-outs. Ron gives a rating for the "3D In Yo' Face Factor:" . Look for titles with a 5 or 4.
Also, to get the best 3-D effect, you should be sitting about 1.5 times the image width, should be about 48 inches, of your 55 inch TV. 1.5 times 48 = 72 inches or 6 feet.

Rolando

Screenwriter
Hello guys,
Thank you so much for all the replies.
First of all MattH I had not realized the player could be a factor. Slap to my own forehead! I am using a PS3, any known issues with 3D on the PS3?
Danoldrati, I did not know there were 3D settings for my TV. I am surprised I would miss that but I will checkit out.
RolandL, I know what you mean. I am not that type of client. I am not expecting to be reaching out to my TV and trying to touch something sticking out of the TV every 5 minutes. actually that would be quite annoying and too gimmicky for my taste. I find those movies that have done that in theatres do so at the expense of the story. I really think that 2 or 3 really good out of the screen, in your face effects in the entire movie is more than enough. I am just worried that I am missing those toes 2 or 3 effects the director put in there.
In Tin Tin there was an obvious in your face moment. I forget it now but I think the Thompson brothers had something in their hands and it stuck out but it did not feel like it came off the screen. In Cloudy with a Chance of meatballs there is a similarly obvious scene. I think Flint sticks his head towards the screen like his nose is supposed to stick out but no pop.
I am enjoying the movies anyway, no one in my family is complaining. We saw Tin Tin and it was awesome. It could have been 2D on a 32 inch and we would have still loved it. I just want to make sure I am not missing any "cool" moment the film makers intended.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Rolando /t/320400/why-is-my-3d-movie-not-as-nice-as-at-the-store#post_3921480
Hello guys,
Thank you so much for all the replies.
First of all MattH I had not realized the player could be a factor. Slap to my own forehead! I am using a PS3, any known issues with 3D on the PS3?

Its only shortcoming right now is that it can't decode Dolby TrueHD soundtracks on 3D films (which means you get compromised audio on Dreamworks animation titles; just regular DOlby DIgital, and it sounded overly compressed to me). It handles DTS-HD MA decoding just fine on 3D titles.

On 2D titles, of course, it handles all audio flawlessly.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Dinosaurs: Giants of Patagonia literally made me flinch involuntarily when a flying reptile went beak-first out of the screen and up my nose.

Rolando

Screenwriter
Well there are no settings on my TV specific to 3D. I also checked on the PS3 and it does not seem to have any special 3D settings either. I am about 8 feet from the screen but standing 6 feet from it did not help. Hmmm

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The PS3 does have a 3D setting. When you run the auto setup for HDMI video, one of the questions it will ask is what size your screen is.

Originally Posted by Rolando /t/320400/why-is-my-3d-movie-not-as-nice-as-at-the-store#post_3921864
Well there are no settings on my TV specific to 3D. I also checked on the PS3 and it does not seem to have any special 3D settings either. I am about 8 feet from the screen but standing 6 feet from it did not help. Hmmm

Rolando

Screenwriter
Sorry, you are right. During setup upon first connection it prompted for the screen size and I chose 55. I meant there was no 3d section in the settings menu where I could make adjustments.

Real Name
Thomas
Rolando said:
What am I missing?
Having your TV properly calibrated usually does make 3D objects "pop" a bit more. However, changing your settings isn't going to add any new fun, gimmicky "pop-out" moments to 3D movies that don't use much negative parallax. If you want pop-out moments, read reviews and buy movies that have pop-out. Or try some of the titles in the linked thread below for some excellent quality 3D with strong parallax that uses a lot of natural 3D space behind and before the plane of the screen.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/306751/htf-top-16-must-own-3d-titles
My favorites for strong 3D are Hugo, Avatar, and Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Real Name
Thomas
Rolando said:
Sorry, you are right. During setup upon first connection it prompted for the screen size and I chose 55. I meant there was no 3d section in the settings menu where I could make adjustments.
This screen-size setting for the PS3 makes no difference for 3D blu-rays. However, lowering the number does increase the parallax in most 3D video games (i.e. it increases the separation between the left and right images and stretches 3D objects on an anterior-posterior axis).

moovtune

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
I have over 60 3D movies and find that most don't have lots of "in-your-face" effects - the 3D is mostly for depth, which I prefer anyway. But try "The Three Musketeers" (shot native 3D) and "Tangled" (especially the floating lanterns scene).

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
moovtune said:
I have over 60 3D movies and find that most don't have lots of "in-your-face" effects - the 3D is mostly for depth, which I prefer anyway. But try "The Three Musketeers" (shot native 3D) and "Tangled" (especially the floating lanterns scene).
Sammy's Adventure for the best and most out-of-the-screen effects.

nandolima

Auditioning
Real Name
Nando Lima
This thread can't be true. I have THE SAME TV, THE SAME bluray 3D player and THE SAME problem. I get frustrated everytime. I see people talking about how great a pop out effect is in a movie, play it, and it's no big deal or it seems duplicated in the screen. I have done SO MUCH, I tried literally everything (but lowering the number on PS3 which I will do know) and nothing. It's like if you were me. When I went to buy the TV at the store they were playing Smurfs, I was NOT 6 feet away from the TV, I was actually much closer, and it was flawless, maybe I didn't see anything because I didn't know anything about 3D. But now I keep thinking it's my problem, maybe the settings of MY EYES, because it's ridiculous. I enjoy the movies, yes, as you said, but I keep noticing the left corner to be duplicated in some scenes and I keep pausing the pop out moments to adjust the settings but everything I do makes no difference at all, a little bit maybe but not much. Just so you know, one of my 3D blurays is Rio, and it's not GREAT at home, really. Every bluray I play seems to be pretty good in the beggining and get really shitty with lots of ghosting as the movie goes by, maybe my eyes get tired, I don't know but I don't think so, everyone would have the same problem with 3D movies then. I may be saying all this like it's garbage, no it's not, we do have a great setting, the TV is awesome, but I keep expecting more from the 3D. One thing that botters me is that when those pop out moments happen, they don't come at me much AND they don't seem sharp, like, ONE object coming at you. I can always see two. Let's suppose there's a ball popping out in a movie, when it reaches its pop out peak, a little shadow is ALWAYS following, it's ridiculous. I've tried the IMAX movies, they do have a better depth if compared to other types of 3D BUT, when it comes to 3D pop out effects it's the same thing, like that fish everyone talks about in the IMAX sea movie, it didn't touch me in the nose like people keep saying it will do. Now let me say this, I would have given up at this point but there was a 3D special event airing at the beggining of the year on a channel here in my country, promoted by LG cinema TV, and all the sponsors logos at commercials were in 3D. There was this beer can that literally would come right in the middle of the living room, I'm not joking, and that was perfect, no shadow, no anything. It was just the can and the background was all blurried, maybe because the background didn't have anything, it worked better, maybe when there's a lot going on my eyes keep looking at everything all at once, but I really don't think this is normal, because again, as it would happen with everyone then. There's also this other 3D bluray with great pop out effect, Despicable Me, at the ending credits... there's a ladder that pops out, that is cool, but the movie doesn't wow me much. I will always think there's something wrong with me as I check the TV comments at forums and research everywhere and no one sees the same problems that I see. I hope this thread doesn't die because it can't be just us.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Frankly, thought that darn fish in the IMAX movie wasn't really that good--If you mean 'Under the Sea", always wondered why the fish got all the press, and not those cute seals poking their noses out of the screen at the end.
Anyway, if you want pop-out for reference, just try a couple of the recent Dreamworks movies (Monsters vs. Aliens and afterwards, not the remastered Shreks):
They hung their studio's last-ditch money-ticket fate in theaters on native-rendered 3-D, and BOY, do they sell it accordingly. :cool:

mohitb29

Auditioning
Real Name
M
Lorax movie (from creaters of Despicable Me) had good 3D effects in theather. My daughter loved it.
I saw movie clip on LG tv in showroom and the entier clip was popped out, as if the clip was playing outside the tv. That was a good experience. I am looking for such movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks