What's new

Ultraviolet keeps moving forward. Have you used it yet? (1 Viewer)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I have activated every digital copy and UV title. I have not used them much.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I do not even know if i have a movie that uses it...i guess that is how much i care.
Might be interested in an iTunes Cloud version! Since i already use the Cloud for my music.
It would need to be Blu-ray quality, if i had it on Blu-ray disc to begin with.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
No, I do not, and I recommend to my family and friends that they do not and save themselves the frustration, inconvenience and intrusiveness of the UV program and demand iTunes codes or DRM free media instead. iTunes of course has it's own set of DRM and tracking but it is not as big a hot mess as UV.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Yes I use it. I have enjoyed the service so far minus the first initial stumbles.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I have activated and downloaded over 100 iTunes Digital Copies since the very first one was issued (I believe it was the Family Guy Star Wars spoof). I haven't and won't touch UltraViolet.

I manage all my media in iTunes. iTunes isn't perfect - it could use a rewrite to shake out years of cruft - but it works and has been the media management tool of choice for me (and millions of others) for close to a decade. I have NO interest in any scheme which does not let me use the media I purchase in the media management system I choose.

The statement by Sony's David Bishop makes me laugh. It is just more of the same corporate BS these guys have been spewing for years. "UltraViolet presents an unprecedented value for consumers." Seriously? Do they expect people to buy this crap? This effort isn't about consumers at all. It's all about wresting control of the digital marketplace from Apple.

UltraViolet is an answer to a question that nobody was asking.

UltraViolet is a poorer solution to a problem that had already been solved, even granting that solution isn't perfect.

All that said, I have no problem with UltraViolet existing for those who like it as long as it is a choice, not a mandate. So I must give kudos to Paramount and Universal, who have been providing codes with their recent releases that work with both UltraViolet and the standard iTunes and Windows Media digital download systems. If Sony (and Warner) truly want to provide "an unprecedented value for consumers", they should adopt this practice as well. True value comes from giving consumers the choice as to how they want to manage and consume their digital content.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
What is "that"? Are you talking about dual iTunes/UV codes? I'm legitimately not sure.
I love when I open a movie with dual codes, because I get to keep the iTunes one and sell the UV one to someone else :)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Craig S /t/320389/ultraviolet-keeps-moving-forward-have-you-used-it-yet#post_3923214
I have activated and downloaded over 100 iTunes Digital Copies since the very first one was issued (I believe it was the Family Guy Star Wars spoof). I haven't and won't touch UltraViolet.

I manage all my media in iTunes. iTunes isn't perfect - it could use a rewrite to shake out years of cruft - but it works and has been the media management tool of choice for me (and millions of others) for close to a decade. I have NO interest in any scheme which does not let me use the media I purchase in the media management system I choose.

The statement by Sony's David Bishop makes me laugh. It is just more of the same corporate BS these guys have been spewing for years. "UltraViolet presents an unprecedented value for consumers." Seriously? Do they expect people to buy this crap? This effort isn't about consumers at all. It's all about wresting control of the digital marketplace from Apple.

UltraViolet is an answer to a question that nobody was asking.

UltraViolet is a poorer solution to a problem that had already been solved, even granting that solution isn't perfect.

All that said, I have no problem with UltraViolet existing for those who like it as long as it is a choice, not a mandate. So I must give kudos to Paramount and Universal, who have been providing codes with their recent releases that work with both UltraViolet and the standard iTunes and Windows Media digital download systems. If Sony (and Warner) truly want to provide "an unprecedented value for consumers", they should adopt this practice as well. True value comes from giving consumers the choice as to how they want to manage and consume their digital content.

So, ever try to watch your iTunes activated files on an Android device? Or inside of a device not Apple?

That's the question people do ask :)

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
mattCR said:
So, ever try to watch your iTunes activated files on an Android device?   Or inside of a device not Apple?

A Walled garden indeed.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
I prefer that method. Why would I want another one?
I have Apple TV, an iPod Touch and an iPad. I've never needed to play my movies on another device. When I do, I use my Blu-ray player (physical media! remember that?) :P

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Originally Posted by MattAlbie60 /t/320389/ultraviolet-keeps-moving-forward-have-you-used-it-yet#post_3923339
I prefer that method. Why would I want another one?
I have Apple TV, an iPod Touch and an iPad. I've never needed to play my movies on another device. When I do, I use my Blu-ray player (physical media! remember that?)
Oh yes physical media, the medium many many people (like myself) still and in the future will continue to use. I like my ipad, ipod, iphone but cant play the video media files on my android device or my hubbys windows phone which is horrible for those of us who purchase (I never rent) media.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Originally Posted by mattCR /t/320389/ultraviolet-keeps-moving-forward-have-you-used-it-yet#post_3923268

So, ever try to watch your iTunes activated files on an Android device? Or inside of a device not Apple?

Where did I argue for an Apple-only world?

The traditional Digital Copy system was never an Apple-only system; it has always covered Windows Media as well. At the time it started it was designed to allow watching movies on your computers, and with iTunes and Windows Media you pretty much had 99% of users covered. As people began to want to watch their movies on their new smart devices, the system did break down for those not in the Apple iOS or Windows Phone ecosystems. With the popularity of Android that is a legitimate problem. If UltraViolet solves the Android problem, great. Just don't make it the only option, which is what Warner & Sony are doing. All you're doing is replacing one "walled garden" with another.

The best option would be to give us DRM-free movie downloads in a standard format. The music industry finally caved on that. But the movie industry is so paranoid and backwards-thinking that I don't think it will ever happen there. So if there have to be DRM-based ecosystems, at least give us the choice of which one we want to live in.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I own 40 ultra-violet movies. 30 of them were disc to digital, the others were redemptions. I am wating on more used DVD's to arrive in the mail. So I can get an HD title with D2D for about 10 bucks, less if I already own the film, verses 20+ for an iTunes digital copy.I find ultra-violet is less restrictive than iTunes, which limits me to watching a film on a PC, Mac, AppleTV, iPad or iPhone. With vudu and ultraviolet, I can watch movies on all of those, plus android phones and tablets, most wifi capable blu-ray players, media streaming set top boxes, tivo's, and smart tv's I don't find this form of DRM at all threatening, unless I you want to steal by downloading films from torrents. before ultraviolet, I used to do that, now I have no need. Disney on the other hand is greedy by not letting consumers enjoy films at their own convenience, and I will not buy any more films from them until they join this effort.

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
UV has not worked for me. I tried it on a Mac and could not get them to work. I haven;t tried it in a while, but it's easy enough to rip the DVD or BR disc or just find the movie on a Torrent. I would be nice if we could just buy movies and have stream to whatever were watching them on and I'm sure it will come that way soon, but in the mean time there is not an easy, trouble free way

androvsky

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew
Craig S said:
Where did I argue for an Apple-only world?
The traditional Digital Copy system was never an Apple-only system; it has always covered Windows Media as well. At the time it started it was designed to allow watching movies on your computers, and with iTunes and Windows Media you pretty much had 99% of users covered. As people began to want to watch their movies on their new smart devices, the system did break down for those not in the Apple iOS or Windows Phone ecosystems. With the popularity of Android that is a legitimate problem. If UltraViolet solves the Android problem, great. Just don't make it the only option, which is what Warner & Sony are doing. All you're doing is replacing one "walled garden" with another. 
The best option would be to give us DRM-free movie downloads in a standard format. The music industry finally caved on that. But the movie industry is so paranoid and backwards-thinking that I don't think it will ever happen there. So if there have to be DRM-based ecosystems, at least give us the choice of which one we want to live in.
The UV companies are trying to get Apple to join in, so UV movies would activate in iTunes in addition to other services. Naturally, Apple prefers the walled garden approach. iTunes and UV are not mutually exclusive in the slightest, and there was a rumor for a bit that Apple was considering half-supporting UV (UV titles would activate in iTunes, but movies purchased in iTunes would be stuck there). And even though Apple's not playing along, you can still use UV digital copies on Apple devices through a third-party app, which is a huge improvement over what everyone else has been dealing with up until now.
Also, the old Windows digital copies used the older, very ironically named PlaysForSure DRM that MS doesn't support anymore (still works on Windows PCs, but that's it). Even people with Zunes and Windows Phones were left out. The only portable devices active in the market served by digital copies were made by Apple, short of the rare PSP copy with Sony movies.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by androvsky /t/320389/ultraviolet-keeps-moving-forward-have-you-used-it-yet#post_3929179
Also, the old Windows digital copies used the older, very ironically named PlaysForSure DRM that MS doesn't support anymore (still works on Windows PCs, but that's it). Even people with Zunes and Windows Phones were left out. The only portable devices active in the market served by digital copies were made by Apple, short of the rare PSP copy with Sony movies.

That irked me. Not being able to use Windows digital copies on my Windows 7 portable phone. I finally broke down and bought an iPad for in flight entertainment, and redeemed all my saved up digital copies that I was saving using the Mac code. Having said that the lack of UV support drives me nuts. Yes I can use the 3rd party app for some titles, but it just isn't as easy to manage. I have restored to registering the UV code, and ripping the DVD to put into iTunes for use on the iPad to make it easier to manage. Kudos to Universal and Paramount for supplying both iTunes and UV copies!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Joshua Clinard /t/320389/ultraviolet-keeps-moving-forward-have-you-used-it-yet#post_3925079
I own 40 ultra-violet movies. 30 of them were disc to digital, the others were redemptions. I am wating on more used DVD's to arrive in the mail. So I can get an HD title with D2D for about 10 bucks, less if I already own the film, verses 20+ for an iTunes digital copy.I find ultra-violet is less restrictive than iTunes, which limits me to watching a film on a PC, Mac, AppleTV, iPad or iPhone. With vudu and ultraviolet, I can watch movies on all of those, plus android phones and tablets, most wifi capable blu-ray players, media streaming set top boxes, tivo's, and smart tv's I don't find this form of DRM at all threatening, unless I you want to steal by downloading films from torrents. before ultraviolet, I used to do that, now I have no need. Disney on the other hand is greedy by not letting consumers enjoy films at their own convenience, and I will not buy any more films from them until they join this effort.

I will admit, I have done this to some success as well; I purchased a stack of DVDs of lesser films I would be "eh" interested in at about $1-$3/pop, and then redeemed at Walmart for the UV copy - the beauty of that is, it's just a one shot redemption at Vudu.. or has been so far for me it seems.

In the end, getting some titles that way ran me about $4/5 bucks.

Still, I find that I prefer just holding the physical media..

androvsky

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew
Adam Gregorich said:
That irked me.  Not being able to use Windows digital copies on my Windows 7 portable phone.  I finally broke down and bought an iPad for in flight entertainment, and redeemed all my saved up digital copies that I was saving using the Mac code.  Having said that the lack of UV support drives me nuts.  Yes I can use the 3rd party app for some titles, but it just isn't as easy to manage.  I have restored to registering the UV code, and ripping the DVD to put into iTunes for use on the iPad to make it easier to manage.  Kudos to Universal and Paramount for supplying both iTunes and UV copies!
Yeah, the UV launch has been a mess. They should have had more than just Flixster ready; Vudu is a big improvement, but there's no mobile version. The proper UV file format downloads would be great for trips, but that got pushed back until at least this summer.
I'd rip my DVDs more, but I watch a lot of anime, so it gets messy (need to deal with multiple subtitle tracks, mkv support, crazy video source formats like 60i, etc). Not that any of the anime companies are likely able to afford to join in with UV (although Funimation was considering it), but it would be nice.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Originally Posted by androvsky /t/320389/ultraviolet-keeps-moving-forward-have-you-used-it-yet#post_3929776
Yeah, the UV launch has been a mess. They should have had more than just Flixster ready; Vudu is a big improvement, but there's no mobile version. The proper UV file format downloads would be great for trips, but that got pushed back until at least this summer.
I'd rip my DVDs more, but I watch a lot of anime, so it gets messy (need to deal with multiple subtitle tracks, mkv support, crazy video source formats like 60i, etc). Not that any of the anime companies are likely able to afford to join in with UV (although Funimation was considering it), but it would be nice.

The UV file format will also be used for collectors if they choose to store the files on their home server or other storage devices. This is coming soon im told.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks