What's new

US disc rentals top $5.65B in revenue for 2011. Do you rent or buy? (1 Viewer)

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor
If it's a movie I think I'll want to watch more than once, I'll buy it. Which is 95% of the movies I watch.
If it's a movie I'm pretty sure I'll only watch once, I'll stream it on X-box live.
I don't rent movies, I have a long history of being *really* late returning them. It pretty consistently ends up being cheaper for me to buy it than it would be to rent it.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I mostly buy those I think will have replay value (the latest Mission Impossible is an example). If it's a movie I have great curiosity about but am not sure if it's for me and I want to satiate my curiosity now, I'll rent from Redbox. (My last rental from them was The Fighter).

For the others, I wait for it to show up on HBO, Showtime, or Starz, and then if I like it and want to see it multiple times, I'll buy it (at usually a very reduced price since they get to paycable about a year after their theatrical release).

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
It's interesting that only 3 of the blu-ray titles on are the DVD list. I would have thought they would have more in common. Red topped both lists? Isn't that the Red Riding Hood movie that was a big stinker?

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I stream movies or television programs on Netflix almost every day. I'd estimate that I buy about ten blu ray titles per year.

I would estimate my collection of blu rays and DVDs to be around 100. That's not a huge number but having 100 of my favorite movies on disc and a virtually unlimited supply of streaming titles available instantly I don't have any desire to do rentals.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I had been renting a few BD's of films I had not yet seen instead of blind purchasing, but our local Blockbuster store closed a couple of months ago. I do not rent enough to justify a monthly fee service like Netflix, so I may try Redbox, which has a kiosk at our local grocery store.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell /t/320388/us-disc-rentals-top-5-65b-in-revenue-for-2011-do-you-rent-or-buy#post_3921212
It's interesting that only 3 of the blu-ray titles on are the DVD list. I would have thought they would have more in common. Red topped both lists? Isn't that the Red Riding Hood movie that was a big stinker?

I believe it's the Bruce Willis action movie with Helen Mirren.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks