A Few Words About

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,467 posts

Posted April 28 2012 - 04:26 AM

War Horse, like virtually anything from the Spielberg canon, is dependent upon image and audio, as much as story.  I missed the film theatrically, but was able to view on a screener in standard def.

What I found difficult to get into and slow in SD, comes to life on Blu-ray.  And one can only imagine the impact of the film on a huge screen, as it was meant to be seen.

War Horse is essentially a story about a horse, and the directions in which fate takes him.  It's wonderful story-telling, and a beautiful production.

On Blu-ray War Horse is a stellar achievement, and it should be as a DI.

Shot on film (S35) and taken through a full 4k DI, and finally to anamorphic 35mm prints and digital, the down-rezzed version on Blu-ray holds the quality of the original perfectly.

The 7.1 uncompressed (DTS-HD MA) is glorious, with action sequences that will nicely test one's entire audio system.

War Horse is available (obviously) in standard def, and I'd stay away from that one, as well as Blu-ray, is both a two-disc and four-disc set.  While the two-disc adds the DVD, the four-disc gives you DVD and Digital Copy, but far more importantly, an additional Blu-ray disc packed with extras not found in the two-disc set.

In my opinion, the four-disc (for an additional $5) is the way to go.

Great film.

Brilliant Blu-ray release from Dreamworks via Touchstone (Disney).

Very Highly Recommended.

RAH

http://ws.assoc-amaz...ersion=20070822http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=afewwordsabout-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B0072GPQ72

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 6 GlennH

GlennH

Screenwriter

• 2,123 posts

Posted April 28 2012 - 11:50 AM

Just rented and watched the Blu-ray. Enjoyed the film. Will probably add to my collection some day when there's a good sale.

#3 of 6 dmiller68

dmiller68

Supporting Actor

• 667 posts

Posted April 28 2012 - 06:17 PM

I watch this the other day and was pretty impressed. I gave a very different view of WW1 although a tad slanted. I'm really glad I watched it but like Schindler's List not a movie I need to own. Watching it once was a enough.

Equipment: Panasonic TC-P65VT25, Panasonic DMP-BDT100, Pioneer Elite SC-37, TiVo Premiere XL, Limited Edition MW3 XBOX 360s with Kinect, Apple TV
Speakers: Definitive Technology Mythos XTR60 (3), Definitive Technology Mythos XTR20BP (4), Definitive Technology SuperCube II

#4 of 6 Howard S

Howard S

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted October 06 2012 - 05:42 AM

Just started watching this and was expecting a stellar image. However black levels don't seem quite right: darkest shadows in the image look slightly washed out, and during the fades to black during the first 10 minutes of the film, the 2.40:1 frame is grey, quite a bit lighter than the black level of my projector (JVC DLA-HD350) evident in the black bars top and bottom. I don't normally see this on other blurays - fades to black normally achieve (or come close to) the same black level as my projector. This is a UK Bluray of the film (HMV Steelbook exclusive edition). I'm assuming this is not what others are seeing... I'm also assuming not an issue with my equipment settings/calibration as I'd be seeing this on other discs, and the black bars top and bottom would also be the same grey as the film frame...? Any suggestions why this should be?

#5 of 6 Howard S

Howard S

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 09:08 AM

I've attempted to take a couple of photos off my screen just to give an impression of what I'm seeing (appreciate that this isn't very scientific...) The film certainly looks odd to me, and I'm thinking about sending a query/complaint to the UK distributor for this Blu-ray, but before I do, I would be grateful if anyone with the US version of the Blu-ray could tell me whether they are seeing the same as me...or whether they have any explanation...or whether I'm being too picky....or perhaps give me a view that this was the intentional look of the film for some reason... 1. Strangely, either side of the title caption, which I'm assuming will be some computer generated frames, the background image is completely black. 2. However, as soon as the location footage starts, fades from/to black look like this (4' 30" mark), and this appears to be the base black level for the whole film (black bars top and bottom are my 16:9 white screen) - accordingly, the film itself looks a little washed out, with no 'true' blacks: 3. At approx the 4' 30" mark, during the black period, there appears to be a cut where the image jumps - it's as though the images from the shots either side of the "fade to black" --> "fade in from black" haven't faded in/out completely, and you can see an artifact of the cut between the two shots. 4. This is roughly how the image looks as soon as the new shot appears at 4' 30" and is being faded in from black - i.e. it isn't being faded in from black, but from grey.... Hope someone can give their opinion. Regards Howard.

#6 of 6 Scott Calvert

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 09:50 AM

I haven't picked up this BD yet and would be very interested in hearing what others have to say as well.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users