Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Sony STR-DE485E on its way out.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Inane Drivel

Inane Drivel

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted April 27 2012 - 11:38 AM

Ex left me with 5.1 set up.. 'not womens stuff':f so didnt let me watch the setup.:( Had to do DIY and had to move set up.. now only getting 2.1 on audio playback, also sound is really 'tinny' now. Think Amp is on way out. Been looking for replacement but its a mine field for the 'uneducated':blush: so would like some 'layman' advice. Was looking at STR-DH510 but not sure speaker connection is compatible.. Does anyone know if i can change to this amp?:rolleyes: Concerned about bare wire connection, over jack plug. Probably asking a really dumb question but can you change bare wire to jack? Have HDMI tv and HD hardrive DVD/freeview box and want to get optimum sound back again.. i miss my music so much :( Cant hook up HDMI to this amp everything going through scart. Will be so grateful if someone can answer all of the above and give some advice.:P

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,161 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 27 2012 - 04:28 PM

Gail:

Welcome to the HTF!  http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

You'll find all kinds of helpful info here.  And I'm sure someone will be along soon to help you out.  Enjoy your stay!  Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,216 posts

Posted April 28 2012 - 09:02 PM

The STR-DH510 is a standard receiver, so it should handle your current speakers unless they are proprietary or 4 ohm. You'd have to let us know the specific speaker model. Sony receivers are not overly recommended, but they aren't bad either, It may sound tinny if it wasn't configured correctly. Did you use a auto setup feature of the receiver (say for instance Audyssey, which is popular)? If not, the sub might not be kicking in properly. Again, let us know your current set-up. As for bare wire, it's actually the best connection, with less chance of failure. Connector are useful if you frequently swap out speakers, move things around, or have a difficult or blind reach to a component. Otherwise, just attaching the bare wire is the most sturdy because it reduces the number of connections that can fail. Just make certain no strands of wire from different jacks touch each other, or the receiver may shut down.