Photo
- - - - -

Kino Press Release: Bird of Paradise (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Advanced Member

• 37,353 posts

Posted April 27 2012 - 08:51 AM

Posted Image

Kino Classics Releases the David O. Selznick Production of King Vidor's Bird of Paradise (1932) on Blu-ray and DVD

Posted Image 

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

For Immediate Release

New York, NY - April 27, 2012 - 
Kino Classics is proud to announce the Blu-ray and DVD release of Bird of Paradise (1932), an exotic romance set in gorgeous Polynesia starring Dolores del Rio and Joel McCrea, and directed by acclaimed filmmaker King Vidor (The Big ParadeThe Champ).

This classic from Hollywood's Golden Age comes to Blu-ray and DVD on May 1st, with a SRP of $29.95 for the Blu-ray and $24.95 for the DVD. This authorized edition from the estate of David O. Selznick is mastered in HD from an original 35mm nitrate print, preserved by the the George Eastman House Motion Picture Department.

Posted Image
Bird of Paradise (1932) tells the story of an adventurous young sailor, Johnny (Joel McCrea), traveling the South Seas. During an accident at sea, he is saved by Luana (Dolores del Rio), the daughter of an island chief. Before long, Johnny and Luana have fallen in love.

Johnny discovers that Luana's father has arranged a marriage for her to a prince. Johnny arrives at the ceremony, and Luana flees with him, leaving the prince behind. The two escape to a nearby island, on which they intend to live together in a tropical paradise.
However, their romance is threatened when a volcano on the island erupts, and Johnny learns that tradition dictates that a young woman - in this case his beloved Luana - be sacrificed to appease the gods!

Bird of Paradise is a thrilling adventure with McCrea at his most dashing, and del Rio at her alluring height. The film features a landmark musical score from celebrated composer Max Steiner (King KongGone with the Wind). Featuring John Halliday, Skeets Gallagher, and Lon Chaney Jr., Bird of Paradise was shot partially on location, and remains a classic of "pre-code" Hollywood filmmaking.

Posted Image

U.S.   1932   B&W   82 Min. 1.33:1   Mono

Bird of Paradise (1932)
Director: King Vidor
Genre: Drama
Blu-ray SRP: $29.95
DVD SRP: $24.95
Street date: May 1, 2012

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 6 Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 27 2012 - 11:34 AM

KINO's pricing continues to be ridiculous. Crtierion prices for something that is most likely single layer,doesn't even come from a negative and apparently has no extras?

#3 of 6 ajabrams

ajabrams

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted April 27 2012 - 03:57 PM

I think the Kino BD's have been pretty fairly priced. Firstly, Criterion prices are usually $10 more than Kino's . Also you can easily find the Kino BD's well-discounted by Amazon and Kino's own site. BIRD OF PARADISE BD is currently available for $18.99 as a preorder from Amazon. I'll be very happy to get a nice print of this film at that price.

#4 of 6 Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 27 2012 - 05:17 PM

We can agree to disagree, Alan. I just picked up THE THIN RED LINE on BD from Criterion on sale at Amazon for $18.99 and suffice to say it is a much more appealing package than KINO's bare bones BIRD OF PARADISE. Public domain movies like this on Blu Ray, even with a decent transfer, but no extras, should not have an MSRP over $12.99.  But KINO has always been overpriced as far as I'm concerned. I like a lot of their releases, but many are single layers and with hardly any extras for premium prices.

#5 of 6 Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted April 28 2012 - 03:53 AM

We can agree to disagree, Alan. I just picked up THE THIN RED LINE on BD from Criterion on sale at Amazon for $18.99 and suffice to say it is a much more appealing package than KINO's bare bones BIRD OF PARADISE. Public domain movies like this on Blu Ray, even with a decent transfer, but no extras, should not have an MSRP over $12.99.  But KINO has always been overpriced as far as I'm concerned. I like a lot of their releases, but many are single layers and with hardly any extras for premium prices.

You're comparing a Criterion title ON SALE to a Kino title at MSRP. Not really a fair comparison.

#6 of 6 Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 28 2012 - 04:17 AM

No I was comparing the Criterion sale price to the Kino pre-order price that you quoted. That's not the Kino MSRP. In any case, we disagree. So be it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users