Photo
- - - - -

Home being built, "whole home audio" and Sonos ZP90?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 BC2210

BC2210

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted April 25 2012 - 05:07 AM

Hi all, So I've come to a conclusion that I will include a Sonos ZP90 in our home audio setup. My problem is, it's approaching time to wire the house up with audio cable and ethernet cable, and I'm not quite sure how to CONTROL them. We've decided on 4 locations that speakers are going. 5.1 in living room 5.1 in master bed 2 weatherproof speakers in master bath 2 weatherproof speakers on back porch To me, this seems like 4 separate zones. Without spending $2,000 on a receiver, I would think the only way to accomplish this would be 2 separate 2 zone receivers? But then what about the ZP90, it can only connect to 1? Would I be better off with a home theater PC and have all wires terminate there? I've also seen people using amplifiers, speakers selectors, and volume controls, etc. but that seems crazy! Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks :/ BC

#2 of 4 Robert_J

Robert_J

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 8,013 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted April 25 2012 - 05:19 AM

I suggest 2 single zone receivers. Connect a Sonos Connect to each receiver. Then choose the appropriate Sonos players (amped on one with speakers) to each of the remote zones. http://www.sonos.com/system/

#3 of 4 BC2210

BC2210

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted April 25 2012 - 06:43 AM

Not sure if Im following correctly. 2 single zone receivers to control the two 5.1 areas? A Connect to one and a Connect:AMP for the outdoor speakers? Seems crazy expensive. What am I missing here. Wouldn't a multi-zone receiver help out here?

#4 of 4

Posted April 25 2012 - 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by BC2210 

Hi all,

So I've come to a conclusion that I will include a Sonos ZP90 in our home audio setup.

My problem is, it's approaching time to wire the house up with audio cable and ethernet cable, and I'm not quite sure how to CONTROL them. We've decided on 4 locations that speakers are going.

5.1 in living room
5.1 in master bed
2 weatherproof speakers in master bath
2 weatherproof speakers on back porch

To me, this seems like 4 separate zones. Without spending $2,000 on a receiver, I would think the only way to accomplish this would be 2 separate 2 zone receivers? But then what about the ZP90, it can only connect to 1?

Would I be better off with a home theater PC and have all wires terminate there? I've also seen people using amplifiers, speakers selectors, and volume controls, etc. but that seems crazy!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

BC

I'm confused as to what exactly you are using the ZP90 for.  Is it to stream music from a centralized computer that has your digital music collection or / and to get the streaming audio services that Sonos offers of that you can subscribe to?

When you refer to "control" them, are you referring to controlling the 4 locations / zones that you are going to have speakers or are you referring to something else?

I believe you are wanting to have the ability to access your local digital music collection and the streaming services from Sonos at all four locations and be able to control them all independantly, right?  The key word here is independantly.

There isn't any AVR's that will control the Sonos, the Sonos is just an input and you will need a control device to control what comes through the ZP90 or the other Sonos products.  An iPod touch is highly recommended here.

If you didn't need waterproof speakers, I would just go with two receivers and two ZP90's and two Sonos speakers.  That would provid you the most flexibility for independant zones with a portable control.

For instance, are you going to carry around your AVR remote control while you are on the back porch to turn the sound on there?   It just seems like a challenge with the 2 AVR with 2 Zone receivers to be able to control the output correctly.  Howver, since you state you need waterproof speakers, which makes the solution more difficult.

I have a six zone Sonos system installed in my house, but I am only using the ZP90 in the Home Theater Room, the rest of the house is Sonos speakers.  When I on the porch I take the Sonos speaker in my office and bring it out to the porch.

Let me know if I can help you with anything else on this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users