Good morning all, I'm skilled with electrical, carpentry, mechanical etc, but I am a total newbie when it comes to home audio systems and all the options available. I'd really appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction. We are in the process of buying a house that we'd like to equip before actually moving in. That way we can do whatever needs to be done with the walls and wiring and such before painting and moving in. At out current residence we have nothing more than an LCD tv, DVD player, Comcast cable box, and Apple AirPort. Up until now we've played most music on our Macbooks and iPhones in whatever rooms we happen to be in. We've heard about systems that allow people to play music in different rooms, but we're not even sure what they are called or where to begin learning about them. Here's what we would like to accomplish at the new house:
- wire the dozen or so rooms with speakers. The rooms range in size from 23 x 16 down to 12 x 12. One with a cathedral ceiling.
- wire the outside partially covered patio with speakers
- the ability to turn the speakers on and off or adjust the volume in each room. A panel on the wall in each room perhaps. Unless there's a better way.
- unless there's an "affordable" way to enable occupants in each room to select different music we're ok with having the same music play throughout the house
- be able to select two audio sources: streaming audio from the Internet from sites such as Pandora, and via docking an iProduct. We could put together a small server to access the Internet and serve as the source for streaming audio. Something tells me these days there is a better way to do that.
- possibly a third source, the TV audio out, but frankly it's more a nice-to-have than a must-have.
We love music but we don't care about ultra high fidelity. We're simply looking for decent quality, decent volume, and long-lasting durability. While we're fine with docking an iPhone, selecting some music and leaving it be, we are curious what options there are to remotely access and control things such as audio streaming and iStuff via touchscreens or remote controls. What is the proper terminology to describe a system of this type? And where should we begin learning about the options? Any recommendations for possible components or design/plannng issues we need to think about? What sort of budget should be set aside for the components/hardware? I'll do most of the labor myself. Thank you all in advance. I'm glad there's a forum for these topics. I wasn't sure where to go to get answers. Kind regards, J