What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Shame -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Let me get this out there before someone grabs a copy of Shame at the local Costco because they like the lead actors, and then pop it into their Blu-ray player with the wrong people around.
The good news is that just viewing the first few minutes of the film should filter out those viewers who are not receptive to this content. :)
- Walter.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Robert, have you seen McQueen's first film HUNGER yet? It's a brilliant film, and the Criterion Blu-ray is really great.
Vincent

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Vincent_P /t/320267/a-few-words-about-shame-in-blu-ray#post_3919569
Robert, have you seen McQueen's first film HUNGER yet? It's a brilliant film, and the Criterion Blu-ray is really great.
Vincent

I have not. Wasn't interested in viewing it at the time. Simply one I avoided, even knowing there was quality.

RAH

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully you'll change your mind and check it out now that you've seen SHAME. HUNGER is undoubtedly a painful film like SHAME, and also like SHAME, a very fulfilling viewing experience for adventurous and thoughtful filmgoers. Steve McQueen is the greatest new "artist" working in film today IMO.
Vincent

willyTass

Supporting Actor
Never seen it , but as Michael Fassbender was great in A Dangerous Method as Carl Jung just added this to my amazon cart

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
No pun intended, but this just didn't "do it" for me. I wasn't bothered by the sex, and liked the ending (on the subway), but just didn't really enjoy seeing two people that screwed up.

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
Managed to see this last weekend... probably one of the most accurate and moving portrayls of sexual addiction ever filmed. Felt it a bit of a double standard however. Take out the male nudity... I dont believe we see an NC-17.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Anthony_H said:
Managed to see this last weekend... probably one of the most accurate and moving portrayls of sexual addiction ever filmed. Felt it a bit of a double standard however. Take out the male nudity... I dont believe we see an NC-17.
i would think the only double standard is the one in your rating system.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
My theory is that it got the NC-17 for one sequence in particular...
The three-way near the end of the movie.
And, IF that's the case, I'm glad that nothing was taken out of it. It's a shockingly powerful sequence.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Felt it a bit of a double standard however. Take out the male nudity... I dont believe we see an NC-17.
The thing is that is seems like the MPAA treats male nudity harsher than female nudity. I think part of the rationale is that when you see full frontal female nudity in movies, most of the time, you're still not seeing actual genitalia. with Male nudity, there's no real way to hide the genitalia (unless, of course, you're Jame Gumb).
I know there are films out there that feature frontal male nudity and get a R, but usually in those cases it's more comedic (Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Observe and Report, Eurotrip) and does not take place within a sex scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks