-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Shame -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,375 posts

Posted April 24 2012 - 01:38 AM

Let me get this out there before someone grabs a copy of Shame at the local Costco because they like the lead actors, and then pop it into their Blu-ray player with the wrong people around.

Steve McQueen's Shame is a difficult film to watch on many levels.  Michael Fassbender and Carey Mulligan play siblings, each with their own set of psychological problems, and both with a tendency to help the other toward self-destruction.

It may be recalled that at the last Academy Awards, George Clooney made light of Mr. Fassbender's performance, and the possibility that he might be able to play golf with his hands behind his back.  The NC-17 rating (we don't see many of those) is correct for this film, which is not for viewers with extremely conservative positions on sex and nudity.

Superbly acted, and photographed in rather bleak style in 35mm Techniscope, with finishing as a 2k DI toward anamorphic projection on film, and of course, digital cinema.

Want to see superb, and extremely gutsy performances, without necessarily being entertained?

Shame, a quality film, and a painful experience, is a quality Blu-ray.

RAH

http://ws.assoc-amaz...ersion=20070822http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=htfamazonstore-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B006OB3K56

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 12 Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,617 posts

Posted April 24 2012 - 03:23 AM

Let me get this out there before someone grabs a copy of Shame at the local Costco because they like the lead actors, and then pop it into their Blu-ray player with the wrong people around.

[SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!] The good news is that just viewing the first few minutes of the film should filter out those viewers who are not receptive to this content. :) [/SPOILER] - Walter.
Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#3 of 12 Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,708 posts

Posted April 24 2012 - 04:40 AM

Robert, have you seen McQueen's first film HUNGER yet? It's a brilliant film, and the Criterion Blu-ray is really great. Vincent

#4 of 12 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,375 posts

Posted April 24 2012 - 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Vincent_P 

Robert, have you seen McQueen's first film HUNGER yet? It's a brilliant film, and the Criterion Blu-ray is really great.
Vincent

I have not.  Wasn't interested in viewing it at the time.  Simply one I avoided, even knowing there was quality.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#5 of 12 Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,708 posts

Posted April 24 2012 - 04:54 PM

Hopefully you'll change your mind and check it out now that you've seen SHAME. HUNGER is undoubtedly a painful film like SHAME, and also like SHAME, a very fulfilling viewing experience for adventurous and thoughtful filmgoers. Steve McQueen is the greatest new "artist" working in film today IMO. Vincent

#6 of 12 willyTass

willyTass

Second Unit

• 350 posts

Posted April 24 2012 - 09:12 PM

Never seen it , but as Michael Fassbender was great in A Dangerous Method as Carl Jung just added this to my amazon cart

#7 of 12 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,712 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted April 25 2012 - 09:46 PM

No pun intended, but this just didn't "do it" for me.  I wasn't bothered by the sex, and liked the ending (on the subway), but just didn't really enjoy seeing two people that screwed up.

#8 of 12 Anthony_H

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts

Posted April 29 2012 - 06:49 AM

Managed to see this last weekend... probably one of the most accurate and moving portrayls of sexual addiction ever filmed. Felt it a bit of a double standard however. Take out the male nudity... I dont believe we see an NC-17.

#9 of 12 john a hunter

john a hunter

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted April 29 2012 - 10:29 AM

Managed to see this last weekend... probably one of the most accurate and moving portrayls of sexual addiction ever filmed. Felt it a bit of a double standard however. Take out the male nudity... I dont believe we see an NC-17.

i would think the only double standard is the one in your rating system.

#10 of 12 MattAlbie60

MattAlbie60

Supporting Actor

• 561 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Maryland

Posted April 29 2012 - 10:53 AM

My theory is that it got the NC-17 for one sequence in particular... [SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]The three-way near the end of the movie.[/SPOILER] And, IF that's the case, I'm glad that nothing was taken out of it. It's a shockingly powerful sequence.

#11 of 12 WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,217 posts

Posted May 07 2012 - 03:50 AM

Felt it a bit of a double standard however. Take out the male nudity... I dont believe we see an NC-17.

The thing is that is seems like the MPAA treats male nudity harsher than female nudity. I think part of the rationale is that when you see full frontal female nudity in movies, most of the time, you're still not seeing actual genitalia. with Male nudity, there's no real way to hide the genitalia (unless, of course, you're Jame Gumb). I know there are films out there that feature frontal male nudity and get a R, but usually in those cases it's more comedic (Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Observe and Report, Eurotrip) and does not take place within a sex scene.
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#12 of 12 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,678 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 07 2012 - 04:50 AM

(unless, of course, you're Jame Gumb).

I hope I'm not the only person who got a laugh out of that.