Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Yamaha RX-V765 Receiver - Sound quality

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   map95003

map95003

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted April 23 2012 - 01:07 PM

Hi everyone, I'm new here....and I have a question concerning my new (used) receiver. My old Sony STR-DE835 receiver recently burnt out after ~13 great yrs....I thought it was a pretty good receiver for the price back then. I just replaced it with a slightly used Yamaha RX-V765, which I think would be an upgrade in quality and sound. I have it connected to my existing speakers (4 x Polkaudio RM7400T's, Polkaudio center & AR 12" sub), but the sound quality isn't too good, not even as good as my old Sony. Questions: 1) My sub RCA cable has 2 connectors, the Yamaha receiver has Sub1 and Sub2 RCA connectors, my sony receiver had 2 RCA connectors. How should I connect my sub to the Yamaha? Do I need one of those connectors that would take the 2 RCA out from my Sub and concert it to 1 RCA to connect to the receiver? 2) My speakers aren't the best but they are not too bad either and I usually get nice clean sound out of them, the sound I'm now getting is annoying, makes you want to turn it off...not sure exactly how to explain it. Maybe I have something configured wrong? I haven't done any calibration yet, I just plugged in my speakers but I expected to get better sound. 3) For CD/MP3 Audio, I use my laptop with a Hercules RMX mixer, I ran the 2 RCAs out from my mixer into the Audio1 (multi channel in) on the Yamaha, but again the sound quality is poor. The same configuration on my old Sony produced great sound. Any help in what I might be doing wrong would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Martin

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,279 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted April 23 2012 - 01:33 PM

First things first - Welcome to the Forum!

I have the RX-V565, and am fairly happy with it. I recently did quite the opposite, upgrading my speakers (to Polk TSi100 bookshelves and CS10 center).

If you do not have the manual, go to Yamaha's website and download it. Since you said this was a used receiver, you should look up on how to reset the receiver to its factory defaults. Then, look up how to set the speaker impedance. If the receiver is set for 6 ohms and your speakers are 8 ohms (or vice versa), that may have something to do with it.

If memory serves, the RX-V765 is a 7.2 receiver. If you only have one subwoofer, then attach it to the first LFE Pre-out. When you run the calibration, it should detect that only one Subwoofer is present.

After that is all taken care of, run the YMAO calibration. Hopefully, when you purchased the receiver second-hand, the seller gave you the calibration microphone. The calibration will even tell you if the speakers were wired in-phase or not. When you are done, play around with the crossover settings on the receiver (most set the crossover to 80 or 90Hz) and set the speakers size to SMALL.

Hope this helps!

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   map95003

map95003

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted April 23 2012 - 02:18 PM

First things first - Welcome to the Forum! I have the RX-V565, and am fairly happy with it. I recently did quite the opposite, upgrading my speakers (to Polk TSi100 bookshelves and CS10 center). If you do not have the manual, go to Yamaha's website and download it. Since you said this was a used receiver, you should look up on how to reset the receiver to its factory defaults. Then, look up how to set the speaker impedance. If the receiver is set for 6 ohms and your speakers are 8 ohms (or vice versa), that may have something to do with it. If memory serves, the RX-V765 is a 7.2 receiver. If you only have one subwoofer, then attach it to the first LFE Pre-out. When you run the calibration, it should detect that only one Subwoofer is present. After that is all taken care of, run the YMAO calibration. Hopefully, when you purchased the receiver second-hand, the seller gave you the calibration microphone. The calibration will even tell you if the speakers were wired in-phase or not. When you are done, play around with the crossover settings on the receiver (most set the crossover to 80 or 90Hz) and set the speakers size to SMALL. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info. I'll give your suggestions a try tomorrow. I have the manual and the calibration mic so hopefully I get some better results tomorrow.

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   map95003

map95003

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted April 24 2012 - 02:37 PM

I came home late and didn't get a chance to try Todd's suggestions, I'll get to it tomorrow. I'm still confused on how I would hook up my Acoustic Research sub correctly. There are 2 RCA output connectors on the sub, connected to dual RCA audio cable (black/red). Since I only need to use one RCA connector on the receiver (Sub1), how would I go from 2 RCA connectors from the Sub to 1 RCA connector on the receiver?

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,734 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted April 24 2012 - 04:38 PM

I came home late and didn't get a chance to try Todd's suggestions, I'll get to it tomorrow. I'm still confused on how I would hook up my Acoustic Research sub correctly. There are 2 RCA output connectors on the sub, connected to dual RCA audio cable (black/red). Since I only need to use one RCA connector on the receiver (Sub1), how would I go from 2 RCA connectors from the Sub to 1 RCA connector on the receiver?

The receivers subwoofer output gets connected to the AR subwoofers input, not to either of it's outputs (those are for daisey-chaining to other subwoofers or components). Not knowing the model number of the AR subwoofer I came up with the ARPR1212. http://www.crutchfie...nfo#details-tab The back of this sub shows many rca connections. The only one you need to use is the LFE "IN" which is connected to the Yamaha's SUB1 subwoofer output. If you have a different model AR sub and it only has Left and Right rca inputs (none marked as LFE) then connect the Yamaha to the Left one. BTW, the dual subwoofer outputs aren't in "stereo", they both output identicle mono signals so don't bother connecting both outputs from the receiver to the Left and Right inputs on the subwoofer (if it has them) because it really wouldn't accomplish anything. My guess is you may be more confussed than before! :blush: Sorry. Just connect the Sub1 to the LFE or Left input on the back of the sub.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   map95003

map95003

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted April 25 2012 - 04:59 AM

Hi Gene, actually you helped quite a bit, didn't make things more confusing. I just looked at the back of my sub (AR S112PS), it has 2 RCA Line-In (Left & Right). Since my Receiver only has 1 RCA out per sub, I'm thinking of getting one of those 1-2 RCA split cables so I can feed both the L & R Line-in on the sub. Is this the right approach? Thanks

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,216 posts

Posted April 25 2012 - 10:19 AM

I just looked at the back of my sub (AR S112PS), it has 2 RCA Line-In (Left & Right). Since my Receiver only has 1 RCA out per sub, I'm thinking of getting one of those 1-2 RCA split cables so I can feed both the L & R Line-in on the sub. Is this the right approach?

It won't hurt anything, but is almost always unnecessary. Do what Gene said, "If you have a different model AR sub and it only has Left and Right rca inputs (none marked as LFE) then connect the Yamaha to the Left one."

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   map95003

map95003

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted April 25 2012 - 12:16 PM

That's what I did, I connected the Sub Left RCA Line-in to Sub1 on the receiver. I auto calibrated the system with the mic, it sounds much better now but something is still not quite right with the base on the Sub. It's not as strong as when it was hooked to my old Sony STR-DE835. Could this be tweaked at the receiver? Also, I only have a 5.1 speaker setup, however when watching a blu-ray the receiver says "7 CH Stereo" on the front panel and doesn't sound like real surround sound. It's almost like all 5 speakers are getting the same signal all the time. Do I have to change the settings to 5.1? I thought that would be auto detected when I did the auto calibration. Thanks for the help everyone.

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,734 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted April 25 2012 - 12:51 PM

There's usually an easy way to increase each speaker volume level (and the sub woofers volume level from the remote control. I've never owned a Yamaha so I'm not sure how to do it. It's usually called something like the "Trim Level" . Or you can go into the Speaker Setup menu and increase the subwoofers volume level. All Channel Stereo, or 7 Channel Stereo is basically stereo through all the speakers and not true surround sound. First, you have to make sure the BluRay players audio output is set correctly. Most new players need to be set to Auto and not Stereo or LPCM. There may also be a setting in the Yamaha receiver that needs to be corrected. But if the player is setup properly then the receiver should output Dolby TrueHD or DTS Master Audio from the BR disc if it had them. Otherwise, Dolby Digital or DTS should be on the display. If the BR player is setup to output Stereo or PCM then the receiver will apply whtever surround mode, if any, it's set to default to or just plain old stereo. The automatic setup program will try and set speaker sizes, volumes, distances and the equilizer but won't set the surround modes. That's up to the user. BTW, go into the receivers speaker setup menu and make sure they are all set to Small (not Large) and the crossover setting looks acceptable. All of these auto setup programs usually get these wrong (I know, defeats the purpose really). Analyzing the room acoustics and setting the eq is what these auto setup programs are really good for. Double-check everything else. These new receivers offer a lot of features and options. But it can take a while to dial everthing in.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   stephr1

stephr1

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted April 26 2012 - 01:14 PM

Martin, Sorry to hear about your Sony. I have the same unit and really enjoyed the sound quality....until recently :( I have it connected to a couple of Klipsch KG 2.5 fronts, smaller Bose rears and Klipsch KSW-150 sub. The "recently" is that it started to give me some problems on and off. I could use a unit I might be able to get parts from (no disrespect to you or your unit ;) I was wondering where you live and what your plans are for the receiver. If you're just going to toss it, I'd appreciate an opportunity to take it off your hands (if it doesn't cost a fortune to get it to me...I live in the San Francisco Bay Area). Let me know if we can work something out. Thanks and cheers....Steph

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,216 posts

Posted April 26 2012 - 08:07 PM

If your receiver is reporting "7 CH Stereo" then you have to change the 'Surround Decode' option ('Sur. Decode' on the remote, to the right of Movie|Music|Stereo) until you see PLIIx. If you don't get the PLIIx option then something isn't set correctly in the HDMI options.

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   map95003

map95003

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted April 27 2012 - 02:45 PM

Hey Steph, I responded to your PM. I don't mind shipping it to you, I'm in Springfield MA. As you know it's a heavy receiver, I'm guessing shipping to San Fran would be expensive. Let me know if you still want it

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   map95003

map95003

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted April 27 2012 - 02:45 PM

If your receiver is reporting "7 CH Stereo" then you have to change the 'Surround Decode' option ('Sur. Decode' on the remote, to the right of Movie|Music|Stereo) until you see PLIIx. If you don't get the PLIIx option then something isn't set correctly in the HDMI options.

Thanks Al, I'll give that a try tomorrow

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   map95003

map95003

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted May 04 2012 - 12:06 PM

I changed the output on my bluray player to HD DTS (Samsung BP), the receiver now says 7 ch Enhanced. I'm still not sure that's correct but it sounds much better. I hooked up the Sub1 out from the receiver to the Left RCA Line-In on my sub per your recommendations but I still wasn't pleased with the sound, the sub performed better when it was hooked to the old Sony receiver.....so I decided to try the "Y" RCA splitter, it made quite a bit of difference. You can hear it as you plug/unblug the Right RCA Line-In on the sub. Thanks for all the help everyone.

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,734 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted May 04 2012 - 02:09 PM

Now the BR player is decoding the DTS signal but DTS HD is still a compressed format. Are you using an hdmi cable or optical/coaxial? What you're looking for DTS Master Audio so you need an hdmi connection. 7 CH Enchanced is still a DSP. Try pushing the Pure Direct button on the remote. As for the sub sounding better with the y-splitter that's surprising but since I've never tried it I can't say for sure. Maybe I'll try it myself some day. But if it sounds better to you then that's all that matters.

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   map95003

map95003

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted May 13 2012 - 02:45 PM

Now the BR player is decoding the DTS signal but DTS HD is still a compressed format. Are you using an hdmi cable or optical/coaxial? What you're looking for DTS Master Audio so you need an hdmi connection. 7 CH Enchanced is still a DSP. Try pushing the Pure Direct button on the remote. As for the sub sounding better with the y-splitter that's surprising but since I've never tried it I can't say for sure. Maybe I'll try it myself some day. But if it sounds better to you then that's all that matters.

Gene C, yeah I'm using an HDMI cable from my sony Bluray player to the receiver. I'll have to give your suggestion a try. I'm don't know much about any of this but what I know for sure is that when I use the Y connector on the sub RCA and hook up both L & R line-in on the sub, it sounds much better. If I unplug one for a few seconds then plug it back in the difference is very obvious, even to someone with my level of experience. Not sure it's the right thing to do but I'm leaving it that way for now unless told otherwise. Thanks again for your help

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   Mr645

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts
  • LocationBoca Raton, Florida

Posted May 13 2012 - 11:36 PM

my M&K sub also requires a Y spliiter from the sub out for proper output. I guess that's how some subs work