Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

With my upscaling DVD player, why is the HDMI picture worse than composite?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Glenshaw

Glenshaw

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted April 23 2012 - 05:07 AM

I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on this issue. I have a Sony upscaling DVD player and a 22" Sylvania LCD 720p set. The composite video looks great -- nice and crisp. I switched to using an HDMI cable that I received free with my DVR a couple years ago. The cable did not have a brand name on it. Because I still have the composite cables plugged in, I can switch back and forth and compare the pictures from both inputs. The HDMI picture is noticeably worse than the composite. I have it set at 720p. I thought it would be significantly better. Whenever a blank expanse comes up, mainly when it's surrounded by other dark objects, grain is very noticeable -- little swimming grainy spots. On the composite, this grain is not evident, or it is very faint. I have found differences between films; some look better in the HDMI and some worse, but all look worse than the composite picture. The only advantage to HDMI is that it gives you a tiny more picture image on the sides. Does anyone know what might be the cause? I've come across a comment that the quality/brand of the HDMI cable might affect its picture, and also that a shorter cable will give you a better image as well. The cable I have is pretty long, at least six feet, and I don't need it to be that long. I'm also wondering whether I might have damaged one of the ports when inserting the cable, as those ports seem pretty fragile. Does anybody have a clue?

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted April 23 2012 - 06:31 AM

It's either a bad cable or the HDMI input is bad.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Screenwriter

• 1,549 posts

Posted April 24 2012 - 11:56 AM

It's not cable length, as 6' is fairly common. Does your TV have to be set for every input? Are there settings for composite mode and different settings for HDMI mode?

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,731 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted April 24 2012 - 12:44 PM

Can you set the dvd player to output 480i over hdmi and let the display upconvert it? And do you mean component instead of composite?
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   ShowMeCables

ShowMeCables

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted April 30 2012 - 02:30 AM

If you are getting a picture the HDMI cable is fine. Id start with the DVD player .

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   martinbond

martinbond

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted May 02 2012 - 05:52 PM

The cable length is not an issue may be the HDMI input is not good. I would suggest not to use it when you get good pictures without it. Bathroom Faucets

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   martinbond

martinbond

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted May 02 2012 - 05:55 PM

I guess the length is not an issue. Might be that the HDMI input is not good. I would suggest you to not use HDMI cable when you get clear and good pictures without it. Bathroom Faucets