-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Backyard/Outdoor Speakers?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Thornhill

Thornhill

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted April 20 2012 - 08:30 AM

Hey everyone, hoping to get some suggestions on some decent speakers to use in my backyard. I'm planning on setting up a backyard theater, to have screenings throughout the summer. I don't have a very large backyard, and I'm not really looking to go very high end. I'm open to either using speakers I can leave outside, or speakers that I can set up and remove after each screening. I'm also open to the setup, either a 2 speaker setup, or a 5.1 setup. I'm just trying to get an idea as to what would work the best for me, so I appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks!
My HT Setup:
 Fronts: B & W DM603 S3  Rears: B & W DM602 S3  Center: B & W LCR600 S3  Sub Woofer: SVS PB-2 PLUS                                                                                                                                  

#2 of 6 Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted April 20 2012 - 09:11 AM

That sounds like a lot of trouble/work to me. I assume you're talking about using a front projector outside? If so, every time you show a movie, you'll have to setup projector, receiver, speakers, cables, speaker wires, screen. And then when you're done, do it all over again. I don't know how big your yard is, but why not just use 2 front speakers? I doubt a sub would be much use outside.

#3 of 6 Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,148 posts

Posted April 20 2012 - 10:56 PM

It's not that much work, I've done it a dozen times or so and it takes 30 minutes or less. Of course, I'm not calibrating or anything, and I use a sheet for a screen. I'm counting on the beer to keep things in proper focus. I just use and old amp and two speakers I have lying around, so I don't have any real advice. If I remember correctly, this came up before and someone suggested getting a PA amp and speakers. So if you are getting things new for this application you might look into that.

#4 of 6 Thornhill

Thornhill

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted April 23 2012 - 05:51 AM

I agree that it's not that much hassle, and I'm not looking for perfection, just something decent. I'll have to look into the PA amp and speaker options. Thanks for the reponses guys, if anyone else wants to chime in, I'm all ears. :)
My HT Setup:
 Fronts: B & W DM603 S3  Rears: B & W DM602 S3  Center: B & W LCR600 S3  Sub Woofer: SVS PB-2 PLUS                                                                                                                                  

#5 of 6 Thornhill

Thornhill

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted May 15 2012 - 09:30 AM

Sounds cool, I'll have to look into this.
My HT Setup:

#6 of 6 ShowMeCables

ShowMeCables

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted May 15 2012 - 09:44 AM

My Boss gave me a pair of Klipsch outdoor speakers and I couldn't be happier. Granted they were free, but I think after listening to them, I wouldn't hesitate pulling the trigger on them. Mine are white, but they come in black as well. I have them connected to a second zone on my Denon 2808 so I can listen to different things inside and outside. This is the best time of year to sit outside, enjoy the weather, listen to a ball game, or whatever genre you desire.