• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 mattCR

mattCR

Advanced Member

• 9,839 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted April 20 2012 - 06:20 AM

Reportedly, agreements amongst each other - in part bolstered by conversations in Job's books, indicate that companies had an "informal agreement" to prevent employees from leaving one company and moving to another..

http://www.engadget....ogle-and-other/

Part of this goes back to documents and work uncovered in the Jobs book and before, in which executives from companies made informal agreements to not go after other employees.

http://www.theverge....t-paul-otellini

And yet, Intel actually had a written document describing a non-poach agreement with Pixar, where Intel's policy was to not hire any Pixar employee without the Pixar CEO's express approval.

Steve Jobs personally emailed Eric Schmidt to ask Google to stop poaching an Apple engineer, and Google responded by arranging to immediately and publicly fire the employee who initiated the call.

Google's director of staffing Arnnon Geshuri revealed the existence of a formal Do Not Call list in an email to Eric Schmidt, such as the ones that the Justice Department claimed in the original 2010 settlement.

Pixar and Lucasfilm explicitly agreed not to "get into bidding wars" for employees, as did two senior SVPs at Google. The latter two reportedly agreed to do so by restricting recruiting practices, and sent copies of their idea to Google CEO Eric Schmidt and Bill Campbell, on the boards of Intuit and Apple.

Numerous companies are named in this plan to keep employees locked into one company or to prevent bidding wars for employees, fixing employee costs

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#2 of 7 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Nutter

• 14,839 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted April 20 2012 - 07:04 AM

I hope they lose on this one, it's a terrible policy for, you know, actual human beings. I hope Apple loses on the iBooks thing, and I hope Amazon ALSO loses. And I hope the government looks into the possibility of price fixing on other DRM schemes too. Burn them all.

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#3 of 7 mattCR

mattCR

Advanced Member

• 9,839 posts

Posted April 20 2012 - 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Sam Posten 

I hope they lose on this one, it's a terrible policy for, you know, actual human beings.
I hope Apple loses on the iBooks thing, and I hope Amazon ALSO loses.
And I hope the government looks into the possibility of price fixing on other DRM schemes too.
Burn them all.

Both Amazon and iBooks need to lose on their deals, I agree.   I'm trying to think of another major DRM that takes up enough market % to call for price fixing to be valid

trakt.tv

#4 of 7 Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationChicago 'burbs

Posted April 20 2012 - 10:39 AM

Maybe they should just create a new "Apple Lawsuits" forum...

#5 of 7 mattCR

mattCR

Advanced Member

• 9,839 posts

Posted April 20 2012 - 12:46 PM

hah.. no, I don't even think that's the point.. this is one of those stories that is much more about the technology market . as Google, Intuit, Pixar, LucasArts, etc. are also all named in the lawsuit.   It's much more about the practices.   That having been said, the one who is going to get most of the attention on this one is Apple..

But right now there are really two... the one involving iBooks is important for users of any Apple component because ibooks is a central technology and significant changes in how that will work going forward will make changes in the way Apple plans it's forays into the ebook market. 

trakt.tv

#6 of 7 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Nutter

• 14,839 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted January 24 2014 - 07:04 AM

Update!

http://pando.com/201...ngineers-wages/

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#7 of 7 DaveF

DaveF

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 12,553 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted January 24 2014 - 04:13 PM

This falls into the realm of "Be Evil"

Undoubtedly there will be some inconsequential financial penalty, and all the engineers will have to undergo annual training on the topic. And the execs will emerge unscathed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users