What's new

I Spy: The Complete Series (Shout! Factory)? (1 Viewer)

classictvfan91

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Hayden
To Shout! Factory:
I would like to suggest a Complete Series box set of I Spy (1965-1968), (licensed from Peter Rodgers Organization and Three F Productions), with special features.
The episodes should be digitally restored and remastered from the original film elements (including the opening credits).
Also, all 82 episodes, especially the episode "One Thousand Fine" (the last episode of Season 1) should be unedited, and the "Tatia" Easter Egg, with archival commentaries from Robert Culp, should be included.
Here is my list of special features:
Robert Culp's Archival Audio Commentaries (7 episodes)
New Audio Commentaries by Bill Cosby
Hickey and Boggs (1972) (111 Minutes, MGM HD, with Audio Commentary by Bill Cosby and Text Commentary)
Bill Cosby and Robert Culp on the Tonight Show (August 24, 1981)
The Cosby Show: The Bald and The Beautiful (1987, With Robert Culp, Audio Commentary by Bill Cosby, and Original NBC Promos) (25 Minutes)
I Spy Returns (1994) (95 Minutes, CBS Movie Special, Digitally Restored and Remastered, with Audio Commentary by Bill Cosby and Text Commentary and Original CBS Promos)
Cosby: My Spy (1999) (25 Minutes, With Audio Commentary By Bill Cosby and Writer Tom Straw, Text Commentary and Original "My Spy" CBS Promos)
NBC 75th Anniversary Special: The Cosby Show/I Spy (2002)
New Interview With Bill Cosby On I Spy
Robert Culp's Cameo On Law and Order (March 13, 1997)
Pioneers of Television: Robert Culp (2011)
Pioneers of Television: Bill Cosby (2011)
Get Smart: Die Spy (1968) (25 Minutes)
Diagnosis: Murder: Discards (1997, Digitally Remastered, Unedited and with Audio/Text Commentary and Original CBS Promos)
Clips From Robert Culp's Archive of American Television Interview (2007)
Clips From Earle Hagen's Archive of American Television Interview (1997)
Clips From Sheldon Leonard's Archive of American Television Interview (1996)
Robert Culp's SpyFest Interview (2003)
Inside TV Land: African-Americans In Television (2002, Featuring I Spy/The Cosby Show)
TV Land's 50 Greatest TV Icons (2007, Featuring Bill Cosby)
Archival Interviews With Robert Culp
Robert Culp on The O'Reilly Factor (November 9, 2007)
Interviews With Marc Cushman (Co-Author of The I Spy Book) (And a New Interview with Marc Cushman)
Photo Galleries
I Spy Scripts And Articles (From Magazines/Newspapers) In .pdf Format
Top Secret (TV Movie, 1978, With Bill Cosby and Sheldon Leonard)
Featurettes:
The Villains of I Spy
The Guests of I Spy
The Fans of I Spy
The Writers of I Spy
Bill Cosby at the Emmy Awards (1966, 1967, 1968)
Robert Culp on Saturday Night Live (1982)
A PSA with Culp and Cosby from 1968 should be included, and in the PSA, they asked the audience not to descend into violence as a reaction to Martin Luther King's death.
Robert Culp's February 1994 appearance on Tom Snyder should also be included.
English subtitles should be included on the episodes and special features.
A collector's book should come with the set.
Marc Cushman, who co-wrote the I Spy book, recently wrote this to me: "I would be pleased to be interviewed for this project and share insight on the series and all episodes. I also have a large photo collection provided to me from Robert Culp, William Morris, and Peter Rodgers. Also, many audio interviews with Robert Culp, Bill Cosby, many of the writers and directors, guest performers, stuntmen, relatives of Sheldon Leonard, plus relatives of producers Fine and Friedkin, among others. These taped interviews could be added in as additional commentary to episodes where it would apply."

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Wow. You ARE a completist. And this would be a dream release for us "I Spy" fans who would gladly double dip to own even a fraction of these extras as part of a complete box set. Nice proposal. Count me "All In."

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
I thought this had already been released? I have all 3 seasons, and as far as I know they still available. Would not mind some of those extras though.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
cajunhillbilly said:
I thought this had already been released? I have all 3 seasons, and as far as I know they still available. Would not mind some of those extras though.
I own these three seasons as well, but some of the prints are in pretty rough shape. The original poster wrote that "the episodes should be properly restored and remastered from the original film elements (including the opening credits)," which implied to me that the seasons I own are not in this condition.
BTW, I voted "yes." :)

classictvfan91

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Hayden
Wikipedia says this about the 2008 box sets: " As of 2012, these releases have been discontinued and are now out of print."
So now is the right time to re-release I Spy through Shout! Factory.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Since ClassicTVFan has all of these grandiose ideas for releases, none of which will ever happen except in dreams, I would suggest that he start his own company. Then he could release all of what he suggests.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Just speaking for myself, if I EVER saw Shout! decide to put out a complete series set of something that has TWICE been released in full on DVD, while Shout! meanwhile has titles of their own they have inexcusably left in limbo land (like maybe IRONSIDE??????) I would needless to say be one mighty P.O'd individual.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
I still can't figure it why Brian would say that to his fans for almost FIVE years. That they had the rights to the entire run of Ironside, but then later, it was revealed that they don't.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
And this I might add is why I would like to be spared of hearing all the "Help me Shout Factory, you're our only hope!" pleas from people regarding any title that hasn't been released on DVD. Shout! has done things I've been happy about, but they're no better and no worse than any other studio with a decent track record of getting shows out.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Neil Brock said:
Since ClassicTVFan has all of these grandiose ideas for releases, none of which will ever happen except in dreams, I would suggest that he start his own company. Then he could release all of what he suggests.
ClassicTVFan seems to be one of those people who can't grasp that licencing,rights and clearances (not to mention price-points) would make ALL his suggestions impossible.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Jack P said:
And this I might add is why I would like to be spared of hearing all the "Help me Shout Factory, you're our only hope!" pleas from people regarding any title that hasn't been released on DVD. Shout! has done things I've been happy about, but they're no better and no worse than any other studio with a decent track record of getting shows out.
I'll second that - anyone else?)
(and let's face it - SHOUT SELECT is their answer to COLUMBIA HOUSE or TIME-LIFE )

classictvfan91

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Hayden
Hey, hey, hey, don't make fun of me (especially Neil and Denny).
Shout! Factory's website says this: "We are always open to hearing what our fans might have to suggest. Your ideas are always welcome. We would love to hear your input as to what you’d like to see released."
So my ideas aren't completely impossible.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Oh yes they are since Shout doesn't release titles according to fan suggestion. If they had any regard for that they would (1) not have been so dishonest regarding "Ironside" (2) would have shown their Select program actually means something by releasing "Marcus Welby MD" S3 through there after deciding that S1 and S2 underperformed as retails and (3) would have gone back and fixed "All In The Family" S7 which they screwed up the encoding job on.
I'd probably be more willing to see these suggestions as a fun exercise of what we'd all like to see for certain titles but for the fact that you think Shout is the only label that does titles right. The constant whitewashing of Shout's shortcomings from various members of this place is something that has always rubbed me the wrong way, especially in light of the easy criticism that's dished out at other labels with track records that compare favorably to Shout (no, I am not including Fox in there. We all know what their problem is).

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Sigh... More Shout bashing (from the usual suspects). Why am I not surprised?

Gary "it amazes me how this can get worked into multiple threads every so often - perhaps we need just one big 'I hate Shout' thread so we can be done with it already" O.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Gary OS said:
Sigh...  More Shout bashing (from the usual suspects).  Why am I not surprised?  :rolleyes:
Gary "it amazes me how this can get worked into multiple threads every so often - perhaps we need just one big 'I hate Shout' thread so we can be done with it already" O.
Gary, with all due respect it seems to me that this stems more from the fact that there are those anxious to annoint Shout to a status that isn't deserved and for those of us who feel Shout burned us on some titles (I'm first to acknowledge those areas that weren't their fault like all the Fox licensed titled) that does come off as annoying, especially when the threads are all rooted in the area of purely speculative releases that presume "this is something Shout could do." Why Shout? Why not include the names of ALL labels that have a good track record for licensing titles from the major studios? VEI which did a great job bringing us "McMillan and Wife" and the obscure "Snoop Sisters"? TImeless, whose record speaks for itself? The list goes on. That's the nub of the matter for me.

classictvfan91

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Hayden
The only extras included in my list that were on the Image releases are the Culp Commentaries.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
classictvfan91 said:
Hey, hey, hey, don't make fun of me (especially Neil and Denny).
Shout! Factory's website says this: "We are always open to hearing what our fans might have to suggest. Your ideas are always welcome. We would love to hear your input as to what you’d like to see released."
So my ideas aren't completely impossible.
We're not picking on you, we're just stating fact.
There are cost and clearance - rights factors that make the type of releases you suggest that would make it next to impossible to put together, and/or cost prohibitive. Especially when you have to obtain segments and clearances from several different parties. You ever wonder why interviews from various talk shows (Griffin,Douglas,Carson,Bishop,Cavett,Snyder,etc )? Rarely,if ever turn up as extras - the high cost of licencing the clips and segments. Then you have other rights holders who think their clips/segments are gold and hold out for a big payday.
So, yes, your ideas are impossible just for the simple fact the cost,cost-prohibitive factor , and ability to obtain the "Extra Value Material" in producing such a set .
That's just how things are.
SHOUT! may be "open" to hearing what fans have to say, but rarely do they act on the suggestions.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeWilson /t/320099/i-spy-the-complete-series-shout-factory#post_3918188
SHOUT! may be "open" to hearing what fans have to say, but rarely do they act on the suggestions.

But couldn't we easily say that about every studio? I know WBA, and others, haven't been very receptive when I've inquired about particular titles/episodes. And no, I'm not talking about pie-in-the-sky stuff either.

Gary "just tired of the double standard" O.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
DeWilson said:
ClassicTVFan seems to be one of those people who can't grasp that licencing,rights and clearances (not to mention price-points) would make ALL his suggestions impossible.
It must be nice to live in a fantasy world where cross-licensing, music clearances, element remastering and potential sales are not an issue. Reminds me of the person who we all know who is constantly campaigning for her obscure show to come out, despite the fact that no one else has any interest in it, its owned by a studio that doesn't release its older shows, there likely aren't any usable elements and it is in a genre which has never done well anywhere. But, hey, why should little details like that matter. Why let reality get in the way? I would love to see how these people run their businesses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks