Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

How to get them to re-buy a film they've purchase many times before and charge $85 dollars!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,430 posts

Posted April 16 2012 - 02:00 PM

Warner has "Singing in the Rain" up for pre-order at $85.00  (yes, you'll get it discounted), but wow! How many times has this been released in the past? Afraid no one will re-buy it? and charge $85 (of course it will sell very well)   Ever notice with the exception of "Casablanca" none of WB's big classic box sets are of Warner Bros. films?   Most are MGM: Wizard of Oz Gone With the Wind Ben Hur Singing in the Rain   Willy Wonka (which was originally distributed through Paramount)

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Lead Actor

• 6,650 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted April 16 2012 - 03:12 PM

What's in it, an actual replica of Gene Kelly's umbrella? 

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then. And while you're at it, PLEASE stop dropping DVD/laserdisc extras from Blu-ray releases of other films.

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,701 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted April 16 2012 - 03:21 PM

Looks like I'll be going for the UK import again...

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,653 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted April 16 2012 - 03:57 PM

Well, unlike the recent Casablanca set this IS the initial release of Singin' In The Rain on Blu. And is anyone really surprised that there's a big collector's box to go with it?? 
Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.
* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.
* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#5 of 12 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted April 16 2012 - 04:10 PM

Matthew, yes an umbrella is included.

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Producer

• 3,038 posts

Posted April 16 2012 - 04:50 PM

I would have gotten this had they not included the silly looking umbrella. If an umbrella had to be included, at least make it look like the one in the movie. The box art is also a bit mediocre compared to similar sets. However, there are three discs in the boxed set and I am very interested to know what is on them. Makes be look forward to a coinciding digibook edition.

#7 of 12 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted April 16 2012 - 04:52 PM

Looks like 2 of the discs are dvds.

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Producer

• 3,038 posts

Posted April 16 2012 - 05:11 PM

in that case, I'll take a wild guess that the two other discs are the bonus disc from the previous release's supplement DVD and a reissue of Gene Kelly - Anatomy of a Dancer. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,940 posts

Posted April 16 2012 - 05:44 PM

Sad. I love the movie, but I'll wait for a more realistic price.

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,551 posts

Posted April 16 2012 - 06:29 PM

Target, Wal Mart, or Best Buy will probably have an exclusive movie only edition like Casablanca, Wizard of Oz, Gone With the Wind, and Ben Hur had when they were released in a big box of junk.

#11 of 12 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted April 16 2012 - 07:13 PM

Pre-ordered. Box art is lacking. Would have been nicer if it had been a light blue. White boxes are boring to me.

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,709 posts

Posted April 17 2012 - 03:51 AM

Pre-ordered the UK version. Same as I did with Ben-Hur and GWTW.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users