What's new

Need suggestions for HTiB or Speakers (1 Viewer)

docview

Auditioning
Real Name
Aditya
Hi all, I have recently purchased a Samsung LA40D550 which only has 'digital optical' out. I'm looking to buy a HTiB to improve my TV sound.
I mainly watch movies through usb on TV & sports channel through a Tata Sky HD plus STB (which has optical & coaxial connections).
I have shortlisted two models based on budget & limited choices in my location - Pioneer HTP-071 & Onkyo HT-S3500. I was preferring the Pioneer model as its is 120$ cheaper than Onkyo one. There are very few reviews on Pioneer HTP-071 & I'm a complete novice in this area. Hence please advice me on the models with regards to features & sound. Does the Pioneer model supports HDMI pass-through?
I realize that HTiB packages in my budget will be basic but I hope they will be better than entry level Philips & Sony HTiB , am I right ?
Thank You

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I think you're on the right track. Typically Onkyo and Pioneer will be better choices than Phillips, and often Sony at the same price range.
The models you've chosen use a passive sub. That means the sub is powered by the receiver, instead of having an independant amp in the sub housing. That's limiting in two ways, (1) it means the receiver's power is distributed to an additional channel, and that channel (the sub) is the hardest to drive (low bass frequecies take more power), and (2) these days almost all subs are powered, so you'll be limiting your upgrade options later. One of the benefits of going with Onkyo or Pioneer is that they offer a "real" receiver instead of a shunted one, but going with a receiver haiving a powered sub output diminishes that. So I recommend going up one model for either manufacturer.
The Pioneer does not appear to have HDMI passthrough. That feature is usually found on mid-range receivers. I'll add that once you start using your receiver I think you'll be less likely to use the passthrough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks