Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Something odd..

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted April 14 2012 - 06:54 PM

I was watching "Everybody Sing"  with Judy Garland, from the Warner Archive Series. From the beginning of the film, the reel "START" is seen upside down. It's there through the entire movie (you can see it plainly during fades, but it is there for the duration of the film.) Is this normal? It's obvious that a film print was used for the transfer (changeover marks are present.) Would this have been on the actual print? I have never seen this before.

#2 of 13 Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,125 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted April 14 2012 - 08:16 PM

What a weird defect. Of course that's not normal. Maybe something strange that happened in the MOD replication of your disc? If the master was defective you'd think there would be other complaints about it.

#3 of 13 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted April 14 2012 - 08:23 PM

I don't know. It's clearly the word "start" from the actual film reel leader. Does anyone else have this disc? Can you check yours? I may write wbshop and ask them for a replacement.

#4 of 13 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,676 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 15 2012 - 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by eric scott richard 

I don't know. It's clearly the word "start" from the actual film reel leader. Does anyone else have this disc? Can you check yours? I may write wbshop and ask them for a replacement.

I have it and watched it a few months ago, but I don't remember that. I'll check it out later today.

#5 of 13 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,543 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted April 15 2012 - 02:45 AM

I have it also, but do not remember that problem either.  I will also check mine out tonight.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#6 of 13 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted April 15 2012 - 12:25 PM

During the actual movie, the letters show up as artifacts (bluish coloring on the film). But during fades, you can plainly read "START" upside down. Check out Judy's skirt during her opening number for what I am speaking of.

#7 of 13 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,676 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 16 2012 - 02:12 PM

I was watching "Everybody Sing"  with Judy Garland, from the Warner Archive Series. From the beginning of the film, the reel "START" is seen upside down. It's there through the entire movie (you can see it plainly during fades, but it is there for the duration of the film.) Is this normal? It's obvious that a film print was used for the transfer (changeover marks are present.) Would this have been on the actual print? I have never seen this before.

I looked at mine tonight (from the beginning through Judy's first number), and I did not see this anomoly at all. I think you must have a defective copy.

#8 of 13 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted April 16 2012 - 03:01 PM

Thanks...I will be contacting wbshop for a replacement. It is really noticeable on the first frame before the mgm logo.

#9 of 13 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,676 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 17 2012 - 12:21 AM

Thanks...I will be contacting wbshop for a replacement. It is really noticeable on the first frame before the mgm logo.

I figured with the light colored backgrounds for the credits that it would be very noticeable if it were present, but I didn't see it, and I got up closer than usual to the screen to look for it.

And wbshop is always super nice about offering replacements. Good Luck!

#10 of 13 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted April 17 2012 - 12:50 AM

Thanks! Actually, since the letters are white, they are harder to see on the white background...but it shows up as a blue mess during the film (in the shape of the letters.) I turned the color down on the tv, which helped but it didn't eliminate the problem completely..it was like edge enhancement in the shape of the word "START!"

#11 of 13 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted April 17 2012 - 08:36 AM

WBshop responded and they are sending me a new copy! When did you guys purchase your copies? I bought mine when it was first released. I wonder if the first few discs had this problem and they were aware of it and fixed it? Either way, a new copy has been sent out with no questions asked. Very satisfied with the customer service. Now, I have my fingers crossed that the new copy is void of any problems.

#12 of 13 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,676 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 17 2012 - 09:40 AM

WBshop responded and they are sending me a new copy! When did you guys purchase your copies? I bought mine when it was first released. I wonder if the first few discs had this problem and they were aware of it and fixed it? Either way, a new copy has been sent out with no questions asked. Very satisfied with the customer service. Now, I have my fingers crossed that the new copy is void of any problems.

Great!

I did not buy it when it was first released. I waited some months after its initial release until a sale came along.

#13 of 13 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,543 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted April 17 2012 - 11:36 AM

I looked at my copy last night and did not see any of the problems you did.  I did purchase my copy when they were first released.  I do find the Fanny Brice/Judy Garland SNOOKS number fascinating.  I guess it is the closest we will ever come to seeing Ms Brice her famous comedy routine.  I wonder what the reaction was from the customers sitting in a Loews theatre watching the scene and had only heard the routine over the radio.  Did her visual impression meet with their expectations?

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users