What's new

Connecting Samsung TV to Harman Kardon HK3490 (1 Viewer)

kevz15

Auditioning
Real Name
kev
Hey guys,
I came across this forum while trying to sort my problem out with my tv and receiver and i'd be grateful if anyone could assist me.
I recently got my room redecorated completely and have a Samsung LE22B450C4WXXU at one end of the room and a Harman Kardon HK3490 receiver at the other end. The builder ran a speaker wire underneath the floorboard to connect the tv to the HK3490. I attached rca jacks at either end and then inserted them into the audio left and right into the tv and in the phono input in the receiver.
From the HK3490 i've got 2 ceiling mounted speakers attached to it through speaker 1 and speaker 2 (directly inserted the wire in to the receiver).
Now the speakers work completely fine, with the radio etc but when i change it to phono input all i can hear is a buzzing / drumming sound coming from the ceiling speakers, (i changed the tv setting to external speaker).
I'm really not sure what the problem is and i've only got the rca plugs to work with. I've hope i've made myself clear and i would appreciate if any one has any suggestions.
Thank you
Kev

kevz15

Auditioning
Real Name
kev
Hey mate I've tried other inputs but still get the buzzing sound only.

kevz15

Auditioning
Real Name
kev
I've just realised the tv only has composite in and av in...so I'm guessing this is the problem as they're both inputs rather than out? ( sorry I'm not very technical with these things haha)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
kevz15 said:
I've just realised the tv only has composite in and av in...so I'm guessing this is the problem as they're both inputs rather than out?
That's the problem.
26cc6b04_schoolforthegifted.jpeg

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I'm not following your problem. You say there's speaker wire connecting the TV to the receiver, which makes no sense. Could you list all your components (DVD, BR, satellite) and how each is connected. Add the color of the plug on the component (not the cable you're using).
If the only problem is a humming sound, you could have a ground loop. The easiest way to fix that is to pug the problem peripheral into an outlet on a different circuit. But I'm thinking you also have connection issues. Many people start of by connecting everything to their TV, which is not preferred. So let us know the connections.

kevz15

Auditioning
Real Name
kev
I was thinking if i get a 2 Phono to 3.5mm Stereo Adaptor and then connect the rca plugs in to the adaptor and the adaptor in to the headphone output of the tv would this work?
Thanks

kevz15

Auditioning
Real Name
kev
Al.Anderson said:
I'm not following your problem. You say there's speaker wire connecting the TV to the receiver, which makes no sense. Could you list all your components (DVD, BR, satellite) and how each is connected. Add the color of the plug on the component (not the cable you're using).
If the only problem is a humming sound, you could have a ground loop. The easiest way to fix that is to pug the problem peripheral into an outlet on a different circuit. But I'm thinking you also have connection issues. Many people start of by connecting everything to their TV, which is not preferred. So let us know the connections.
Hey,
When the room got redecorated the builder passed a speaker wire (positive / negative) from one end of the room to the other under the floor boards. At each end of the wire i hooked up rca plugs, with one pair inserted in to the HK3490 but I've now realised i can't insert the other end in to the tv as there's no audio output for the rca plugs to go in.
Regarding my speakers they are ceiling mounted and connected directly to the HK3490 with speaker wires and work perfectly fine.
The only other thing connected to my tv is a virgin media box (U.K), which is connected via a HDMI cable. So my problem is that I don't have an audio output from the tv for the rca plugs to go in and so is there a possible solution for this?
I hope i made myself clear.
Thanks!

kevz15

Auditioning
Real Name
kev
Sorry for all these messages but I've now managed to get sound! I connected the RCA plugs in to a 3.5mm stereo adaptor and then inserted that in to the headphone input at the back of the tv.
However i have a new problem! I now encounter a buzzing sound when i increase the volume on my HK system. If i put the tv volume on max and the HK system on low, the buzzing sound pretty much disappears but the volume is not that loud.
Is there anyway I could sort this? Sorry for all the questions.
Thanks

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
If you're trying to get the TV audio from the TV to the receiver you have to use the "digital audio out (Optical)". Run that from you TV to the receiver-in.
However, if the media box is decoding the TV signal for you, then you'll likely only get stereo (good stereo, no buzzing; but still stereo). The receiver can convert this to simulated surround.
The best approach is to connect the media box directly to the receiver, and then run an HDMI from the receiver to the TV. For some reason, everybody always wants to connect everything to the TV first. The receiver should be the "hub" of your system.

wwj745

Auditioning
Real Name
Walt
Al.Anderson said:
If you're trying to get the TV audio from the TV to the receiver you have to use the "digital audio out (Optical)". Run that from you TV to the receiver-in. However, if the media box is decoding the TV signal for you, then you'll likely only get stereo (good stereo, no buzzing; but still stereo). The receiver can convert this to simulated surround. The best approach is to connect the media box directly to the receiver, and then run an HDMI from the receiver to the TV. For some reason, everybody always wants to connect everything to the TV first. The receiver should be the "hub" of your system.
I am having essentially the same problem. All I want is to get the menu of the hk3490 on the tv so I can adjust the sound inputs to optical. I have only 1 plug that came with it. 1 end has the red,white, yellow and the other end has 1 plug only. So I hooked it up to the "av 3" on the hk and the other end to "av in" on my LG 605500. Nothing. There are no rca hook ups on the LG. It is HDMI plugs only. Except for the single plug jack I mentioned. Any help would be appreciated.

wwj745

Auditioning
Real Name
Walt
Sorry it is an LG L5700. I got the adapter for the rca jacks to composite and still have no signal. I have a harman kardon hk 3490 reciever. The book says to hook it up from the video monitor output on the hk to the composite video input on the tv. I have it hooked up this way and still have no signal. I went into the tv menu and changed it to av so that is already done. Maybe a defective output on the HK? Or a defective input on the LG?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Your 3490(as far as I know) doesn't have an OSD. It is a stereo receiver. Your TV doesn't have any RCA audio outputs. So, connecting input to input, nothing happens cause input to input will never, ever work, cause well, it is input to input. You go output to input. You need an optical-RCA adapter. They cost $20.

wwj745

Auditioning
Real Name
Walt
schan1269 said:
Your 3490(as far as I know) doesn't have an OSD. It is a stereo receiver. Your TV doesn't have any RCA audio outputs. So, connecting input to input, nothing happens cause input to input will never, ever work, cause well, it is input to input. You go output to input. You need an optical-RCA adapter. They cost $20.
As stated in my previous post. I have the rca adapter. I connected the audio input on the tv and the video monitor output on the HK. I also tried the rca cables from VD1 on the HK to the input on the tv. No luck. However, I have found that this is not the problem. Here is what I found out. The 3490 remote menu display does not work with all tvs. So getting into the "menu" option on the remote is not an option. Buried in the back of the manual is the solution. Hook up the optical cable. Hold a source button such as VD1. Then tap the T-Mon button {tape monitor}. This has to be done on the unit NOT THE REMOTE. As the T-Mon button is tapped. You will see the display going from analog, coaxil and optical. Choose the optical and the tv will now play through the speakers. Your remote is now in control of the source. If you go back to fm for radio. When you want to listen to tv just hit the VD1 button again to hear tv sound. Thanks for trying though. I sent the question to "all experts" 3 days ago and I am still waiting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks