Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

M*A*S*H in Blu-Ray

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 OFFLINE   vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted April 12 2012 - 03:35 PM

Surprised Fox hasn't considered remastering all 256 episodes of M*A*S*H for a blu-ray release, given that it's the only pre-Simpsons show that Fox actually cares about enough to release on their own.
 To all fans of Mr. Belvedere who haven't purchased season 4 yet, please watch this video.

#2 of 20 OFFLINE   David Rain

David Rain

Screenwriter

• 1,097 posts

Posted April 12 2012 - 07:25 PM

Considering how "dirty" M*A*S*H has always looked I'm not sure there's any point in releasing it on Blu-ray. All In The Family is a similar situation. These shows were not designed to look beautiful and perfect.
Still Turning the Beat Around at Our Cool New Pad

Retro Remixes

#3 of 20 OFFLINE   vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted April 13 2012 - 05:49 AM

Well if they put it on Blu-Ray, I wonder if they will fix the lip-synch issues? Unlike the rest of the people who have seen the M*A*S*H TV series DVDs, Hollywoodacholic said that he was supposedly, the only one who noticed them.
 To all fans of Mr. Belvedere who haven't purchased season 4 yet, please watch this video.

#4 of 20 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,992 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted April 13 2012 - 07:48 AM

Surprised Fox hasn't considered remastering all 256 episodes of M*A*S*H for a blu-ray release

I'm not. Maybe sales of the "Martinis and Medicine" DVDs weren't quite what they expected?

#5 of 20 OFFLINE   smithb

smithb

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted April 13 2012 - 08:42 AM

I'm not. Maybe sales of the "Martinis and Medicine" DVDs weren't quite what they expected?

I'm sure sales were hurt from the poor implementation of the packaging. It was difficult to get a set that didn't have plenty of scratched up disks. And word was out of the design flaws and I'm sure many stayed away from it.

#6 of 20 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,366 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted April 14 2012 - 07:23 AM

M*A*S*H was shot on 35mm film. All in the Family was shot on NTSC videotape. M*A*S*H would benefit from a high definition release regardless of how "grungy" the production design was.

Considering how "dirty" M*A*S*H has always looked I'm not sure there's any point in releasing it on Blu-ray. All In The Family is a similar situation. These shows were not designed to look beautiful and perfect.

#7 of 20 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,992 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted April 14 2012 - 01:22 PM

I'm sure sales were hurt from the poor implementation of the packaging. It was difficult to get a set that didn't have plenty of scratched up disks. And word was out of the design flaws and I'm sure many stayed away from it.

Yes, I'm positive you are correct about this, but I also meant that it probably didn't sell "[/i]Star trek[/i] numbers".

#8 of 20 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,735 posts

Posted April 15 2012 - 06:25 AM

I own the set, and I think it is great. I like the way the discs are stored. I noticed light surcface wear on the discs from the way they are stored in the cardboard sleeves...but scratches(real scratches that effect the dvd) I'm sure are just a figment of most peoples fears, and not an actual product defect.. It takes a very deep scratch to harm a dvd...something that is nearly impossible by removing a dvd from a cardboard sleeve. a dvd is far more resiliant than most people think.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#9 of 20 OFFLINE   smithb

smithb

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted April 15 2012 - 08:14 AM

I own the set, and I think it is great. I like the way the discs are stored. I noticed light surcface wear on the discs from the way they are stored in the cardboard sleeves...but scratches(real scratches that effect the dvd) I'm sure are just a figment of most peoples fears, and not an actual product defect.. It takes a very deep scratch to harm a dvd...something that is nearly impossible by removing a dvd from a cardboard sleeve. a dvd is far more resiliant than most people think.

But yet people have had DVD's go bad on them without deep scratches. Disks that once played fine but didn't later. Sometimes with little to no wear on them. Possible results are layer separation and oxidation of the internal structure. Is this a flaw in manufacturing, maybe. Or could it also be caused by weaknesses developed in the protective layer over time due to scratches and scuff marks. Or even the bending to remove disks from tight hubs. Or possibly the switching to a more sensitive player that results in later playback failures. Way too many variables to know for sure. All I know is that I bought my collection to last for many years. So i don't think being extra cautious about how the media is initially received, stored, and handled is feeding into unwarranted fears, but just common sense. Too much at stake for me to prove the resiliance of a DVD.

#10 of 20 OFFLINE   Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Screenwriter

• 1,337 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida

Posted April 16 2012 - 06:13 AM

Didn't anyone else notice the lip synch issues? The audio is a fraction ahead of the visual, moreso on some episodes than others. It's one of those things you don't notice as much until you're watching on an upscaled image on a 55" LED monitor. (I have an LG 390 Blu-ray player and a SONY Bravia 55" and Yamaha 663 receiver - all connected through HDMI). But I find it annoying. Not as annoying as the laugh track, which, mercifully, we can finally turn off, but the synch is off no matter which track you watch.

#11 of 20 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,683 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted April 16 2012 - 01:08 PM

Didn't anyone else notice the lip synch issues? The audio is a fraction ahead of the visual, moreso on some episodes than others. It's one of those things you don't notice as much until you're watching on an upscaled image on a 55" LED monitor. (I have an LG 390 Blu-ray player and a SONY Bravia 55" and Yamaha 663 receiver - all connected through HDMI). But I find it annoying. Not as annoying as the laugh track, which, mercifully, we can finally turn off, but the synch is off no matter which track you watch.

I'm usually *very* sensitive to such issues and notice them immediately. I've not yet noticed this with MASH, but I've only watched the first 4 seasons to date. Is any season in particular worse than others or is it an across-the-board thing?

#12 of 20 OFFLINE   Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Screenwriter

• 1,337 posts

Posted April 17 2012 - 09:07 AM

I'm almost through the first two seasons in the single package sets for each season and it's easily 70% of these episodes. And I probably wouldn't have noticed on a smaller monitor. But it's definitely off sync through most scenes by just a hair or two. My question is it could actually be in the masters and on the scenes that were 'looped,' but I don't know the production details. It strikes me odd so many of the scenes would have been looped in post. But I'm watching other series from the same era or earlier with both location and studio scenes ("The Virginian," for instance), and the sync is right on. So it's definitely in those first two sets at the least (or in my run of those sets).

#13 of 20 ONLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,670 posts

Posted April 18 2012 - 02:24 AM

I'm curious about the audio sync issues being reported here Are entire episodes out of sync, or just certain scenes (or parts of scenes)? Is the out-of-sync the same whether you are listening to the original audio vs. the laugh-track-less audio? Does the out-of-sync problem also occur on different setups? DVD player vs Blu-Ray player. Large screen vs smaller screen? HDMI vs Digital/Optical vs RCA(red/white) David

#14 of 20 OFFLINE   Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Screenwriter

• 1,337 posts

Posted April 18 2012 - 06:01 AM

It doesn't seem to be every scene, which is why I started to suspect some 'looping' issues (where actors re-record audio in post). But it is rampart throughout the first two season sets I have. The episode I screened last night "Deal 'Em In" appeared more in synch. So it's somewhat random. I'm not an audio expert, but I've been in looping sessions in Hollywood, and sat through many audio voiceover and dubbing sessions. I've tried playing the laugh track version versus the non-laugh track version and it doesn't seem to make a difference. (Though I absolutely prefer the non-laugh-track versions of the shows). And, as I mentioned, I have an HDMI hookup of an LG Blu-ray player through a Yamaha receiver to a Sony 55". But I was watching "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" Season 5 last night and absolutely no synch issues. I can't understand why anyone else hasn't brought it up before (maybe they have), or maybe some more technical expert explain what's going on with these sets. Maybe I got a bad run of discs. The picture looks great in upscale. But the lip synch off drives me a bit nuts.

#15 of 20 OFFLINE   smithb

smithb

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted April 18 2012 - 06:19 AM

It doesn't seem to be every scene, which is why I started to suspect some 'looping' issues (where actors re-record audio in post). But it is rampart throughout the first two season sets I have. The episode I screened last night "Deal 'Em In" appeared more in synch. So it's somewhat random. I'm not an audio expert, but I've been in looping sessions in Hollywood, and sat through many audio voiceover and dubbing sessions. I've tried playing the laugh track version versus the non-laugh track version and it doesn't seem to make a difference. (Though I absolutely prefer the non-laugh-track versions of the shows). And, as I mentioned, I have an HDMI hookup of an LG Blu-ray player through a Yamaha receiver to a Sony 55". But I was watching "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" Season 5 last night and absolutely no synch issues. I can't understand why anyone else hasn't brought it up before (maybe they have), or maybe some more technical expert explain what's going on with these sets. Maybe I got a bad run of discs. The picture looks great in upscale. But the lip synch off drives me a bit nuts.

Maybe if you could reference a particular episode and scene where it is most noticeable, some of us could perform a test.

#16 of 20 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,992 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted April 19 2012 - 05:40 AM

it wouldn't surprise me if most (if not all) of the dialogue was looped. Didn't a lot of filmed shows of the time loop most of the dialogue? I remember in the commentary for the Battlestar Galactica pilot that they were saying (I think) that all of that show's dialogue was looped.

#17 of 20 OFFLINE   vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted April 19 2012 - 07:59 AM

I think the best way to know for sure (in regards to the lip-synch issue) would be to compare the DVDs to the commercially-released VHS tapes by Columbia House from the mid-1990s. That was also the last time Fox digitally remastered the show from the original 35mm camera negatives.

#18 of 20 OFFLINE   Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Screenwriter

• 1,337 posts

Posted April 20 2012 - 08:35 AM

I posted a question to one of the writer showrunners of M*A*S*H about the issue and whether the show was extensively looped, so I'll pass along any response for anyone interested.

#19 of 20 ONLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,251 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted April 20 2012 - 05:00 PM

it wouldn't surprise me if most (if not all) of the dialogue was looped. Didn't a lot of filmed shows of the time loop most of the dialogue? I remember in the commentary for the Battlestar Galactica pilot that they were saying (I think) that all of that show's dialogue was looped.

It's possible the show had a lot of looping. I mean, for a good chunk of the series, they weren't exactly filming in the confines of a nice, soundproof set, were they? Especially in the earlier seasons, before they renovated the interior set to allow more filming indoors.

#20 of 20 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted April 21 2012 - 04:27 AM

Not to mention that when they added the laugh track they probably fiddled around with the sound.