Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

8mm film transfer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,642 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted April 11 2012 - 11:03 AM

A lot of the threads on this subject are several years old and don't reflect the options to transfer to Blu-ray or editable formats, like videoconversionexperts.com offers.

Anyone have direct experience with them or someone similar? I imagine conversion to DVD would suffice, but having them in higher definition format and even in editable form is intriguing.

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,250 posts

Posted May 16 2012 - 04:13 PM

I, too, seek a service that can do a decent transfer, although in my case I need an outfit that can work with Super 8 sound (magnetic stripe) film and squeeze as much quality from the old, thin stripe as is possible while also providing a nice, sharp image. A tall order for films 30-40 years old, I know. But has anyone out there any recommendations? Economy, of course, is a consideration.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,642 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted May 16 2012 - 05:08 PM

I wound up going with gotmemories.com, mainly because they had extensive videos about how they perform their transfers. The customer service was also very good and they were willing to work with my budget. I still need to get the end product, which I expect to have next week. Will post more information then.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,642 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted May 16 2012 - 06:30 PM

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,642 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted May 26 2012 - 06:02 AM

I got my film back and am pleased overall, though there are a couple curious things.

I knew I was getting standard definition transfers and can't complain about the quality on DVD. They provided me with the transfers as MOV files, which are clearly 480i. I guess I didn't expect that for some reason. It also seems a little strange that the amount of data they said it would take up on the flash drive I sent them is significantly less than they estimated (e.g. 900' of film comes in at around 8 GB, not the ~30 GB they said). I'll probably just send them an email about that. I'll have a sample up to share shortly.

EDIT: Looking back at the info, I think the person I worked with miscalculated the amount of data it would take up, as their printed info says about 15 MB per foot.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,642 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted May 26 2012 - 07:05 AM

YouTube didn't seem to like the Apple Intermediate Codec and failed in the processing phase, so I had to import to iMovie and do the basic "large" export as M4V.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,250 posts

Posted June 24 2012 - 04:26 PM

Many thanks for your report. I will investigate.