Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   MattAlbie60

MattAlbie60

Supporting Actor

• 561 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Maryland

Posted April 11 2012 - 07:03 AM

Is there *any* chance of this ever hitting blu-ray? I'd love to see the series in hi-def, and there's even already produced features that were left out of the DVD that they could include, like the on-set tour episode that was broadcast but not included in the initial release. I still re-watch this series with shocking regularity (as you can tell by the username). Any other fans out there?

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   NY2LA

NY2LA

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted April 11 2012 - 07:34 AM

Here's another one. This would make a nice BluRay set, would take fewer discs than the DVD, and yeah there was a set tour aired, which I think was conducted by Tim Busfield, who also directed at least one episode. The exterior is the Hollywood Palladium, shots of the front used probably a digital matte image to add a top to the existing building. The side entrance to the Palladium was shot pretty much as-is, as was the office building next door. The main set on a Warner soundstage that was probably used previously by The West Wing, included three floors, incorporating part of the existing basement. While it looked cool in person, with Lighting, angles, lenses, etc, it looked fantastic on camera.

#3 of 18 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,319 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted April 11 2012 - 11:39 AM

I'd love to get it but I think the reality is that it won't hit Blu-ray. I'll try to keep hope eternal and say that maybe if Sorkin's new show on HBO is really popular then Warners could want to release one of his other shows.

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,578 posts

Posted April 11 2012 - 12:16 PM

Wow.  One of my favorite series over the past decade.

Was devastated that it was cancelled after one season.

I bought it on DVD a year or two ago.

Don't expect it will be on Blu-ray.  Just not in huge demand.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   MattAlbie60

MattAlbie60

Supporting Actor

• 561 posts

Posted April 11 2012 - 12:42 PM

Yeah, I'm not exactly holding my breath, but at the same time I guess weirder things have happened. Five years ago I would have bet all the money you could cover that we'd never see a complete LARRY SANDERS on DVD. Does the fact that it was one season help it or hurt it? Or really neither? On one hand, I can see a reluctance to do something like THE WEST WING because you've got to potentially release seven seasons, with each season undoubtedly selling less than the last. But with a one season show, maybe that's some kind of incentive.

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   NY2LA

NY2LA

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted April 11 2012 - 01:10 PM

I don't recall any of us saying we EXPECTED it to come out, but if this isn't the place to discuss a show we like, or at least express INTEREST in buying it, I don't know where else we should go... One of my favorite guilty pleasure movies is Warners' Doc Hollywood, which is pretty much the same plotline as Disney's Cars, except instead of a hotshot car who is forced into smalltown community service due to accidentally damaging a road, this one has a hotshot doc who is forced into smalltown community service due to accidentally damaging a roadside fence. Warners for some reason saw fit to only put Doc Hollywood out on DVD in "Family Friendly Full Screen"1.33 (despite the gratuitous nudity). It has never been reissued in HD or even its OAR, BUT Netflix has been streaming a nice HD 1.85 transfer of it for months. If you browse around Netflix, especially the streaming menu, you'll find quite a few obscure titles popping up regularly. The kind we would be told here not even to hope for on DVD, Blu or otherwise. Studio 60 was on Streaming Netflix for quite a while, I don't recall if they were streaming it in HD or not. As other "less likely to be released" titles tend to show up there, that's at least something to hope for. Like Studio 60, Doc Hollywood fell off the Netflix streaming list for a few months, but now it is back, in HD. SO... maybe some renewed interest in this title might lead to at least a streaming option for us to watch Studio 60 in HD. If nothing else, it would be fun to be able to share the interest here with some fellow S60 fans. Favorite characters or episodes, anyone?

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,578 posts

Posted April 11 2012 - 01:23 PM

Yeah, I'm not exactly holding my breath, but at the same time I guess weirder things have happened. Five years ago I would have bet all the money you could cover that we'd never see a complete LARRY SANDERS on DVD.

Kind of talking apples vs. oranges here.

Larry Sanders, as you pointed out was released on DVD.

....and that took about 14 years to happen considering DVD

came about in 1997.

Right now, only mainstream titles the studio knows it can
sell are being released to Blu-ray.  The only television that

is being released to the format is more current popular fare

that the studios are convinced it can sell.

I think it is going to be a long time until you see Studio 60

on Blu-ray, if at all.   Shows like that work great on Netflix

where there isn't much cost in disc distribution.

Ronald J Epstein

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   MattAlbie60

MattAlbie60

Supporting Actor

• 561 posts

Posted April 11 2012 - 01:45 PM

Oh, I totally get that. I was just using LARRY SANDERS as something that I had previously assumed was impossible, the way I assume STUDIO 60 is now. Perhaps it wasn't the best example ever, but you get the point. Weirder things have happened is all I was getting at.

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,578 posts

Posted April 11 2012 - 01:59 PM

How 'bout if we meet in the middle on this.

Yes, weird things happen.  Yes, anything can happen.

However, it is my opinion that Studio 60 has a very

limited fanbase for a 1-season show.  I just can't see

WB thinking that they can sell this show out of the park

if they release it on Blu-ray.

However, once again, anything can happen.

Ronald J Epstein

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   NY2LA

NY2LA

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted April 11 2012 - 02:22 PM

How 'bout if we meet in the middle on this. Yes, weird things happen.  Yes, anything can happen. However, it is my opinion that Studio 60 has a very limited fanbase for a 1-season show.  I just can't see WB thinking that they can sell this show out of the park if they release it on Blu-ray. However, once again, anything can happen.

Well Ron, in the space of just a few hours, you have posted here THREE TIMES that you don't think this show has a chance of ever coming out on Blu Ray. THREE TIMES. This means that out of the first nine posts in this thread, a third of them were you finding new ways to say the exact same thing. Were you under the impression that we were incapable of processing your opinion the first two times? I just don't get the compulsion some people have to leap on such threads and repeatedly try to destroy any hope or enthusiasm that's been expressed. What do you get from that? Seriously? Would you be happier if we just said okay, forget it, and ended the thread right there? Wouldn't it have been more fun and constructive to discuss favorite episodes or characters or whatever?

#11 of 18 ONLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,770 posts

Posted April 11 2012 - 02:48 PM

How 'bout if we meet in the middle on this. Yes, weird things happen. Yes, anything can happen. However, it is my opinion that Studio 60 has a very limited fanbase for a 1-season show. I just can't see WB thinking that they can sell this show out of the park if they release it on Blu-ray. However, once again, anything can happen.

Well Ron, in the space of just a few hours, you have posted here THREE TIMES that you don't think this show has a chance of ever coming out on Blu Ray. THREE TIMES. This means that out of the first nine posts in this thread, a third of them were you finding new ways to say the exact same thing. Were you under the impression that we were incapable of processing your opinion the first two times? I just don't get the compulsion some people have to leap on such threads and repeatedly try to destroy any hope or enthusiasm that's been expressed. What do you get from that? Seriously? Would you be happier if we just said okay, forget it, and ended the thread right there?

Ron is giving you his well crafted, reality and reason based opinion. False hope is no hope at all. I would adore this one season show on Blu, but I don't see it happening either. Besides, Ron has added additional details in his perspective with each reply. I thought the thread was going just fine.
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,535 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted April 11 2012 - 02:52 PM

I'd be interested in a blu-ray. I have the DVD and the iTunes downloads (just watched the pilot again, it was as always, great).

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   NY2LA

NY2LA

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted April 11 2012 - 02:56 PM

I'd be interested in a blu-ray. I have the DVD and the iTunes downloads (just watched the pilot again, it was as always, great).

Nice to hear from you Steve. Have you ever watched the show streaming on Netflix, and would you if they ran it in HD? I'd love to hear your favorite things about the show. Where would you like to have seen the characters and plotlines go?

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,535 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted April 11 2012 - 03:07 PM

I have not seen the show streaming on Netflix. I'll have to check it out. The iTunes video quality is SD, and not all that good, even on a computer monitor. I thought the show was very well written. I was a fan of Sorkin's other shows, like Sports Night and The West Wing (until he left). I am looking forward to the new HBO show. I was so glad to see that he won the Oscar for The Social Network. I don't know where I would like to have seen the Studio 60 characters or plot lines go. I was just glad that the network let the show run a full season rather than canceling it mid-season.

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   AnthonyP

AnthonyP

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted April 12 2012 - 09:28 PM

How is the quality of the DVD? I never picked this up because I really don't want to put money towards buying DVDs but I wouldn't mind revisiting it some day also (watched, I think, every episode when it aired).

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   MattAlbie60

MattAlbie60

Supporting Actor

• 561 posts

Posted April 12 2012 - 11:54 PM

It's not bad. It looks and sounds fine, and it's lacking in special features, but that isn't exactly shocking. It's got a couple of quick featurettes and a commentary on the pilot. I remember being floored when I saw it at Best Buy for $7.99 very soon after it was released. Snatched it up as fast I could :)

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,535 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted April 13 2012 - 12:44 AM

Studio 60 is not available at Netflix. At least, it is not showing up under streaming. I also can't get it to show up under DVD, although that could be since I don't rent DVD's from Netflix. It is, however, available on Amazon Instant Video, including both SD and HD.

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   NY2LA

NY2LA

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted April 15 2012 - 07:28 PM

Studio 60 is not available at Netflix. At least, it is not showing up under streaming. I also can't get it to show up under DVD, although that could be since I don't rent DVD's from Netflix. It is, however, available on Amazon Instant Video, including both SD and HD.

Yes as I mentioned S60 used to be streaming on Netflix, just as Doc Hollywood used to be - and now after several months off the streaming list, Doc Hollywood is back. So maybe Studio 60 will come back. Especially since they are now bigger than ever leaning toward series, current and not. Did you say Amazon is streaming S60 in HD? If so, then it's likely they were streaming it HD on Netflix (and could again). Haven't checked the other streaming (Vudu, Hulu, HuElse) services yet. Hadn't thought about it, but I guess NBC was already broadcasting in HD back when S60 first aired, so there must already be HD masters ready to run. So it's not at all out of the realm of the possible to hope that S60 shows up as an HD streaming option on Netflix again. I recall some streaming options (other than Netflix) allow one to buy, for downloading onto a device with a hard drive (like my BRP), so maybe that'll turn up sometime. Amazon even allows you access to your purchased stuff from their cloud, so... you see, things don't look quite so bleak after all. Unfortunately my GD LG BRP does not access Amazon, so for right now, I'm SOL. :cool::P http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/