Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Avengers and The New Avengers OOP on DVD. The Saint and The Persuaders!?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#201 of 208 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,232 posts

Posted August 31 2014 - 07:06 AM

At the time I thought TNA was a poor shadow of the original . But today I much prefer most of TNA to the colour originals . The B&W Rigg remain the peak of the series for me but I find many of  the colour Rigg to be too far removed from reality . Although the B&W Rigg were also they seem to maintain more of a link with reality . I think if TNA were remastered to the same level as the original the drabness of the visuals would not be so apparent .The current versions are a bit tatty and make the series look older than it is

I really enjoy tna as well. I would be interested in remastered blu ray versions. I like how the show had 3 leads as well. I think they are a lot of fun!

#202 of 208 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,232 posts

Posted August 31 2014 - 07:32 AM

Actually the NA started from the get go on french funding. Only for the last 7 episodes of serie 2, the money ran out to they shot those episodes in France and Canada to make it. This is the Champagne french commercial which started it all  The producer of the commercial discovered during the shoot, to his dismay, that the Avengers had stopped production 6 years before, so he told Clemens he would get the money and he did. The commercial stars Linda Thorson. I so would have wanted the NA to be Macnee and Thorson again. Thorson was then the same age as Diana Rigg when she was playing Emma Peel. That would have been perfection. As the commercial shows, the french new better how to make something Avengerish at this point, than the british who decided to do it a very different way because they thought time had moved on. In a way, the original aged like fine wine, whereas the NA had a much shorter lifespan to being too much of the times (big Starsky & Hutch influence). It's still a fascinating series, but it totaly lacks the beauty of the original. Any 60's Avengers is mind blowingly beautiful to watch. The NA look drab and dark and the worst of the 70's. Only Steed has somehow remained intact. Here's another advert which is more Avengerish than the NA ever were "Saved by Big Ben! Nope, saved by Timex!" 

Great videos! Thanks for posting !!

#203 of 208 OFFLINE   HDvision

HDvision

Supporting Actor

• 995 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted August 31 2014 - 09:03 AM

I like TNA too, but it lacks The original Avengers quirky quality. 

In the Laurent Perrier commercial, everything is there: the bowler hat, the umbrella, the high class appartment set-up, the seduction and double entendre / puns, the violence and the cool under fire attitude, the champagne of course, the comic way the vilains are disposed off. Nothing like this works in TNA, even in the best episode, arguably Target, one can't tell the vilains are interesting (the midget and the other guy). You could take off all their scenes from the episode, and it would work way better. It just padding stuff.

TNA feels like 26 minutes scripts extended to 52 minutes in most episodes.

Even the Timex is funny and british, there is the landmark (Big Ben), the cool attitude by Steed, the bowler of course, and the way the chandelier traps the bad guys, the advanced technology -- it's pure Avengers.

In TNA Steed doesn't even wear the bowler in most episodes. It's like Superman or Batman not wearing their cape LOL.

Edited by HDvision, August 31 2014 - 09:07 AM.

#204 of 208 OFFLINE   nigel19

nigel19

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted August 31 2014 - 12:31 PM

I like TNA too, but it lacks The original Avengers quirky quality. 

Oh yes there are definitely a few episodes of TNA with padding but far from not sharing the quirky nature of the original they really are similar when compared with most of what British tv was making at the time . 

Not quite as outlandish as the 60's versions but they retain enough quirkiness for todays audience I think.

The colour Rigg shows just went too far for me. How something like Epic ever got past the script stage I'll never know. 

Many of that season had their share of surreal outlandish moments and ideas but Epic was just nonsense from start to finish .

It might have worked if it had been a dream . 

It's the one episode out of the Rigg era that I just cannot get beyond the first 15 minutes and I've been watching them since the 60's.

#205 of 208 OFFLINE   HDvision

HDvision

Supporting Actor

• 995 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted August 31 2014 - 01:01 PM

I love EPIC LOL

#206 of 208 OFFLINE   nigel19

nigel19

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted August 31 2014 - 01:38 PM

I love EPIC LOL

Yes I was going to say that I have read on other forums posts from people that love it .

It just seems so out of place .

All the other colour Riggs , while being fantasy based do have at least a small connection to reality in the ways people act and react , but with EPIC the villains are straight out of a comic book - I guess thats the intention - but none of them show a flicker of belonging to the human race at all .

I can't think of any other Rigg episodes where the lack of reality is so prominent

#207 of 208 OFFLINE   HDvision

HDvision

Supporting Actor

• 995 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted September 01 2014 - 07:00 AM

That's the point of the original series. Anything goes. I can't think of a more wonderful image than Emma Peel entering the cemetary where all the tombstones have her name in slow motion amidst a rain of fake snow

#208 of 208 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,232 posts

Posted September 02 2014 - 06:08 PM

That's the point of the original series. Anything goes. I can't think of a more wonderful image than Emma Peel entering the cemetary where all the tombstones have her name in slow motion amidst a rain of fake snow

Agreed. It is such a unique and fantastic show!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users