Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

DVD vs BD test disc

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Don Keegan

Don Keegan

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted April 10 2012 - 06:32 AM

I have a 51' Samsung Plasma with Samsung BD player I received a copy of a dvd used to do basic calibrations is this as good as using a bd version. I believe not but need clarifacation. Thanks!

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted April 10 2012 - 10:01 AM

No. You need to get a Blu-ray version. For beginners, the best one is the Disney WOW calibration disc.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Joel Barsotti

Joel Barsotti

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted April 17 2012 - 04:46 AM

No. You need to get a Blu-ray version. For beginners, the best one is the Disney WOW calibration disc.

Why? DVD vs BD should be equivalent. This does assume that your player correctly formats the content for output. Also your TV may calibrate slightly differently between resolutions. The one pattern that your really need a native pattern for is sharpness. If you have a 1080p screen you want a 1080p sharpness pattern. There are many variables that could effect the difference between DVD and Blu-Ray, so it is smart to have both. But a DVD should work as well as a Blu-Ray.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Gary Seven

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah

• 1,468 posts
  • LocationLake Worth, Florida

Posted April 18 2012 - 10:05 AM

It's been my experience that they can be used interchangeably except when you come to black levels.  On my system, the black levels are quite different from SD to HD.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   filthybass

filthybass

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted April 22 2012 - 09:56 AM

I think it did make a difference on mine. I don't know too much about the workings, but I had originally calibrated my 47" Samsung with the DVD player calibration disc and when I later bought a blue-ray player I did recalibrate and it made a somewhat significant difference. I see the most difference with the dark scenes. Walmart has the WOW disc with a coupon you can get online for like16.99. Just my experience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users