What's new

Timeless Media: 87th Precinct (Complete Series) (1961-62) (1 Viewer)

Brian:C

Stunt Coordinator
Here's a surprise! Timeless gives us another non western one season show.
From their info:
For the first time, NBCUniversal and Timeless Media Group bring you the complete, landmark series, 87th Precinct, all 30 uncut episodes direct from the Universal vaults.
Manhattan's 87th Precinct forms the backdrop for this grim and gritty police drama based on the long-running series of novels by Ed McBain. Storylines focus on neighborhood crime, and the tight-knit lives of the officers of the 87th and their families: Steve Carella (Robert Lansing) and his deaf/mute wife, Teddy (Gena Rowlands), rookie Bert Kling (Ron Harper), long-time veteran Roger Havilland (Gregory Walcott) and the wryly philosophical Meyer Meyer (Norman Fell). Each gripping story features performances from the top rung of the acting profession, including Jack Albertson and Beverly Garland (Killer's Payoff), Robert Culp (The Floater), Dennis Hopper (My Friend, My Enemy), Jeanette Nolan (Idol in the Dust), Peter Falk (The Pigeon) and many more! Black & White
Release date: Aug 7, 2012. Since Amazon already has the cover up, I'll be watching out at Sam's club for it to appear soon.
Brian
PS My search for the forum isn't working, so sorry if this is a repost.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Glad to see Timeless do a non-western for the first time in a while. This one I'll get.
The list of guest stars failed to mention one of the final acting roles of Nancy Davis (Reagan).

PatrickGoodluck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
I've never seen 87th Precinct before but my appetite for TV nostalgia will make me buy it. How can you go wrong with such a great array of guest stars, not to mention the regulars such as Ron Harper, Robert Lansing and Gena Rowlands. Looks like a beauty! Here's hoping Timeless will continue to release more non-western shows. Not that I have anything against westerns, it just wouldn't be my first preference more often than not.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
WOW!!!! This is a complete surprise. I'm GETTING THIS ONE, great Show!!!!!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
And so the Timeless surprises begin to roll in.

This is only one of many that the company will be releasing this year!

Gary "good job on the Amazon find, Brian" O.

Will Green

Grip
Real Name
Will
DeWilson said:
This is a surprise .
Now I wonder where CHANNING is?
Count me in for a purchase of Channing as well. I also hope that the rumored Bold Ones and Name of the Game releases happen.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
DeWilson said:
This is a surprise .
Now I wonder where CHANNING is?
Me too on Channing. Excellent show, there are SO many from that era that are wasting away in some vault. How about some REAL miracles, East Side/West Side, The Defenders, Slattery's People?

S

silverking

87th Precinct is an excellent police procedural show with good cast, particularly Robert Lansing in the lead , Norman Fell as Meyer & Gena Rowlands ( sorry to be sexist) is a real dish.
A couple were based on the Ed McBain books. It was this series that got me actually reading the books. Recommended.
I'm afraid I don't know 'Channing', never played here in the UK. Anyone fill me in ?

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
I wonder how the picture quality is going to be on this one.
It's too bad Timeless can't do a re-do on M Squad and Checkmate, with better transfers. How I wish all their releases would be like The Virginian; those sets are excellent.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Great news about the series 87th Precinct. Might consider getting this Timeless release.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
jdee28 said:
I wonder how the picture quality is going to be on this one.
It's too bad Timeless can't do a re-do on M Squad and Checkmate, with better transfers. How I wish all their releases would be like The Virginian; those sets are excellent.
Yeh, I'd like to see a re-do on both those as well. Wouldn't be surprised that they found the prints on these as well as Universal.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'll pick this up at some point love police procedurals from this era, I usually wait a little bit the prices drop substantially.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Another voice of support for more non-western releases from Timeless - very much looking forward to this.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
silverking said:
87th Precinct is an excellent police procedural show with good cast, particularly Robert Lansing in the lead , Norman Fell as Meyer & Gena Rowlands ( sorry to be sexist) is a real dish.
A couple were based on the Ed McBain books. It was this series that got me actually reading the books. Recommended.
I'm afraid I don't know 'Channing', never played here in the UK. Anyone fill me in ?
Its a teacher/school show, similar to but not nearly as good as Mr. Novak, which ran around the same time. While Novak was set in a high school, Channing took place in a college. Great guest stars and I enjoy watching it. Doubt it would be the type of show that Timeless would have interest in but one never knows. Not a rare show by any means as the prints have been common among collectors for years.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If Timeless is dipping into the NBCUniversal vaults and coming up with old black and white police shows, I know there's one major show of that type that Universal owns that everyone would like to see turn up.
And those are just the facts...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zionaesthetic
Recent bookmarks