-

Photo
- - - - -

Timeless Media: 87th Precinct (Complete Series) (1961-62)

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 of 50 Brian:C

Brian:C

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted April 09 2012 - 01:08 PM

Here's a surprise! Timeless gives us another non western one season show. From their info: For the first time, NBCUniversal and Timeless Media Group bring you the complete, landmark series, 87th Precinct, all 30 uncut episodes direct from the Universal vaults. Manhattan's 87th Precinct forms the backdrop for this grim and gritty police drama based on the long-running series of novels by Ed McBain. Storylines focus on neighborhood crime, and the tight-knit lives of the officers of the 87th and their families: Steve Carella (Robert Lansing) and his deaf/mute wife, Teddy (Gena Rowlands), rookie Bert Kling (Ron Harper), long-time veteran Roger Havilland (Gregory Walcott) and the wryly philosophical Meyer Meyer (Norman Fell). Each gripping story features performances from the top rung of the acting profession, including Jack Albertson and Beverly Garland (Killer's Payoff), Robert Culp (The Floater), Dennis Hopper (My Friend, My Enemy), Jeanette Nolan (Idol in the Dust), Peter Falk (The Pigeon) and many more! Black & White Release date: Aug 7, 2012. Since Amazon already has the cover up, I'll be watching out at Sam's club for it to appear soon. Brian PS My search for the forum isn't working, so sorry if this is a repost.
Classic TV on DVD Episode Release Guide

Current Recommendations:
Tiimless Media: Brenner, Red Skelton In Color
VCI: Burkes LawMillcreek: Best Of Jack BennyCBS/Paramount:Mannix

#2 of 50 Jack P

Jack P

Screenwriter

• 2,993 posts

Posted April 09 2012 - 02:18 PM

Glad to see Timeless do a non-western for the first time in a while. This one I'll get. The list of guest stars failed to mention one of the final acting roles of Nancy Davis (Reagan).

#3 of 50 PatrickGoodluck

PatrickGoodluck

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted April 09 2012 - 08:39 PM

I've never seen 87th Precinct before but my appetite for TV nostalgia will make me buy it. How can you go wrong with such a great array of guest stars, not to mention the regulars such as Ron Harper, Robert Lansing and Gena Rowlands. Looks like a beauty! Here's hoping Timeless will continue to release more non-western shows. Not that I have anything against westerns, it just wouldn't be my first preference more often than not.

#4 of 50 jim_falconer

jim_falconer

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted April 09 2012 - 11:20 PM

This sounds great...thanks for the heads up

#5 of 50 Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,518 posts

Posted April 10 2012 - 12:01 AM

WOW!!!! This is a complete surprise. I'm GETTING THIS ONE, great Show!!!!!
See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#6 of 50 Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,554 posts

Posted April 10 2012 - 12:44 AM

And so the Timeless surprises begin to roll in.  Posted Image

This is only one of many that the company will be releasing this year!  Posted Image

Gary "good job on the Amazon find, Brian" O.

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#7 of 50 maskedmala

maskedmala

Stunt Coordinator

• 150 posts

Posted April 10 2012 - 07:05 AM

Great news. Thanks Timeless

#8 of 50 DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,956 posts

Posted April 10 2012 - 07:09 AM

This is a surprise . Now I wonder where CHANNING is?

#9 of 50 Will Green

Will Green

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted April 10 2012 - 07:21 AM

Count me in for a purchase of Channing as well. I also hope that the rumored Bold Ones and Name of the Game releases happen.

#10 of 50 Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,518 posts

Posted April 10 2012 - 07:35 AM

Me too on Channing. Excellent show, there are SO many from that era that are wasting away in some vault. How about some REAL miracles, East Side/West Side, The Defenders, Slattery's People?

#11 of 50 Guest_silverking_*

Guest_silverking_*

Posted April 10 2012 - 08:37 AM

87th Precinct is an excellent police procedural show with good cast, particularly Robert Lansing in the lead , Norman Fell as Meyer & Gena Rowlands ( sorry to be sexist) is a real dish. A couple were based on the Ed McBain books. It was this series that got me actually reading the books. Recommended. I'm afraid I don't know 'Channing', never played here in the UK. Anyone fill me in ?

#12 of 50 Guy Foulard

Guy Foulard

Second Unit

• 310 posts

Posted April 10 2012 - 09:24 AM

I'm afraid I don't know 'Channing', never played here in the UK. Anyone fill me in ?

Here's some info--sounds intriguing: http://en.wikipedia....ing_(TV_series) Not sure how Timeless would sell this, though...

#13 of 50 Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,518 posts

Posted April 10 2012 - 09:32 AM

Here's some info--sounds intriguing: http://en.wikipedia....ing_(TV_series) Not sure how Timeless would sell this, though...

They could probably just list all the guest stars and get a decent number of sales. Quite the Who's Who in 1960's television and movies.

#14 of 50 jdee28

jdee28

Screenwriter

• 1,002 posts

Posted April 10 2012 - 10:12 AM

I wonder how the picture quality is going to be on this one. It's too bad Timeless can't do a re-do on M Squad and Checkmate, with better transfers. How I wish all their releases would be like The Virginian; those sets are excellent.

#15 of 50 WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,088 posts

Posted April 10 2012 - 11:06 AM

Great news about the series 87th Precinct. Might consider getting this Timeless release.

#16 of 50 DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,956 posts

Posted April 10 2012 - 12:44 PM

I wonder how the picture quality is going to be on this one. It's too bad Timeless can't do a re-do on M Squad and Checkmate, with better transfers. How I wish all their releases would be like The Virginian; those sets are excellent.

Yeh, I'd like to see a re-do on both those as well. Wouldn't be surprised that they found the prints on these as well as Universal.

#17 of 50 Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,276 posts

Posted April 12 2012 - 02:12 AM

I'll pick this up at some point love police procedurals from this era, I usually wait a little bit the prices drop substantially.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#18 of 50 Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 848 posts

Posted April 14 2012 - 01:48 PM

Another voice of support for more non-western releases from Timeless - very much looking forward to this.

#19 of 50 Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,082 posts

Posted April 14 2012 - 02:06 PM

87th Precinct is an excellent police procedural show with good cast, particularly Robert Lansing in the lead , Norman Fell as Meyer & Gena Rowlands ( sorry to be sexist) is a real dish. A couple were based on the Ed McBain books. It was this series that got me actually reading the books. Recommended. I'm afraid I don't know 'Channing', never played here in the UK. Anyone fill me in ?

Its a teacher/school show, similar to but not nearly as good as Mr. Novak, which ran around the same time. While Novak was set in a high school, Channing took place in a college. Great guest stars and I enjoy watching it. Doubt it would be the type of show that Timeless would have interest in but one never knows. Not a rare show by any means as the prints have been common among collectors for years.

#20 of 50 The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,118 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted April 15 2012 - 07:14 AM

If Timeless is dipping into the NBCUniversal vaults and coming up with old black and white police shows, I know there's one major show of that type that Universal owns that everyone would like to see turn up. And those are just the facts...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users