Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: Full Metal Jacket 25th Anniversary Blu-ray Book

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,548 posts

Posted April 09 2012 - 05:53 AM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

A film of immense and very rare imagination” - Vincent Canby, New York Times

WARNER HOME VIDEO CELEBRATES THE 25TH ANNIVERSARY

OF STANLEY KUBRICK’S

FULL METAL JACKET

In a New 2-Disc Blu-ray™ Book Edition on August 7, 2012

Burbank, CA. (April 10, 2012) – On August 7, Warner Home Video (WHV) celebrates the 25th anniversary of Full Metal Jacket – Stanley Kubrick’s intense Vietnam War drama – with the release of the25thAnniversary Blu-ray BookThe anniversary edition of the film Time Magazine’s Richard Corliss called a “technical knockout” will be showcased in premium Blu-ray Book packaging with 44 pages that include a personal letter and intimate reflections from star Matthew Modine, as well as behind-the-scenes photos specifically selected for this release. The Full Metal Jacket 25th Anniversary Blu-ray Book will also include a newly added bonus disc with the 60 minute documentary Stanley Kubrick’s Boxes that sheds light on the genius and “rhythm of the genius” at work. The Full Metal Jacket 25th Anniversary Blu-ray Book will be available for $34.99 SRP and orders are due July 3, 2012.

About the Film:

A superb ensemble falls in for Kubrick’s brilliant saga about the Vietnam War and the dehumanizing process that turns people into trained killers. The scathing indictment of a film was nominated for an Academy Award® for Best Screenplay (1988). Pvt. J.T. 'Joker' Davis (Matthew Modine), Animal Mother (Adam Baldwin), Pvt. Leonard 'Gomer Pyle' Lawrence (Vincent D’Onofrio), Eightball (Dorian Harewood) and Pvt. Cowboy (Arliss Howard) are some of the Marine recruits experiencing boot-camp hell under the punishing command of the foul-mouthed Gny. Sgt. Hartman (R. Lee Ermey). The action is savage, the story unsparing, and the dialogue is spiked with scathing humor, as the raw grit and brutal drama of the Vietnam War comes through loud and clear.

Special Features:

• Commentary by Adam Baldwin, Vincent D’Onofrio, R. Lee Ermey and critic/screenwriter Jay Cocks
  • Documentary - Stanley Kubrick’s Boxes (new to DVD)
  • Featurette – Full Metal Jacket: Between Good and Evil
  • Theatrical Trailer    

FULL METAL JACKET 25th Anniversary Blu-ray Book (2-Disc)

Street Date: August 7, 2012

Order Due Date: July 3, 2012

Price: $34.99 SRP

Run Time: 116 minutes

Cat# 1000253530

Note: All enhanced content listed above is subject to change.

Warner Home Video Blu-ray Discs™ offer resolution six times higher than standard definition DVDs, as well as extraordinarily vibrant contrast and color and beautifully crisp sound. The format also provides a higher level of interactivity, with instant access to extra features via a seamless menu bar where viewers can enjoy features without leaving or interrupting the film. For more information, visit warnerbros.com/warnerblu.

About Warner Home Video
With operations in 90 international territories, Warner Home Video, a division of Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Inc., commands the largest home entertainment distribution infrastructure in the global video marketplace. Warner Home Video's film library is the largest of any studio, offering top quality new and vintage titles from the repertoires of Warner Bros. Pictures, Turner Entertainment, Castle Rock Entertainment, HBO Video and New Line Cinema.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,548 posts

Posted April 09 2012 - 05:59 AM

This is a sensational film, no doubt.

And you know, rarely do I speak out against Warner,

a studio known for its remarkable transfers to Blu-ray.....

...however, as this press announcement rolled in today,

I couldn't help but ask myself, "how many times does this

film need to be re-released to Blu-ray when there are so 

many other great films that efforts could have been put into?"

I am guessing this is the same transfer that has been
previously released, just a repackaging with a new documentary.

Great for the few that don't already own this release.  Nothing

worthy for most that do own it.

Ronald J Epstein

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,262 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted April 09 2012 - 06:51 AM

Hear, Hear!

It's funny, I could swear I've seen the "new to DVD" [sic] documentary about the boxes, but I checked and it's not on the other WB Blu-rays, so...I dunno, maybe on TV?  Or maybe I'd read an article about them.  But no matter, because this double or triple dip has to be a No Sale for me...and I love this film.  Enough is enough.

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   WinstonCely

WinstonCely

Stunt Coordinator

• 237 posts

Posted April 09 2012 - 08:03 AM

Same feeling here. I've got all of Kubrick's films that are available on BD except Spartacus, and I'm not rebuying any of them unless Criterion starts releasing them.

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted April 09 2012 - 09:07 AM

Pretty sure this is the same Blu-ray disc as the last one, with the documentary on the (new) 2nd disc (probably a DVD) and the book packaging.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,368 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 09 2012 - 10:03 AM

This is a sensational film, no doubt. And you know, rarely do I speak out against Warner, a studio known for its remarkable transfers to Blu-ray..... ...however, as this press announcement rolled in today, I couldn't help but ask myself, "how many times does this film need to be re-released to Blu-ray when there are so  many other great films that efforts could have been put into?" I am guessing this is the same transfer that has been  previously released, just a repackaging with a new documentary. Great for the few that don't already own this release.  Nothing worthy for most that do own it.

Completely agree. So silly, especially with all the stuff that sits unreleased.

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted April 09 2012 - 12:51 PM

IF they had released the book versions first, I would probably have bought them, but since I have blus of most of the Kubricks already (along with at least a couple of DVD versions of everything), I fail to see the point of buying them again. I'm wondering what the message is here? Avoid buying all the first releases in case a book comes out later? Hmmm...

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,928 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted April 09 2012 - 12:54 PM

Hey, Warner, wanna do something really impressive that won't seem tiresome? Re-release 2001: A Space Odyssey with the documentary you refused to include the last time, along with any cut scenes that (may have) resurfaced recently. Don't wait for some stupid anniversary, do it this year. And for Pete's sake, do a NEW transfer for a change. You're not fooling anybody with these fancy Book reissues - everybody knows it's the same old same old.

RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos. 

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   Martin Teller

Martin Teller

Screenwriter

• 2,414 posts

Posted April 10 2012 - 03:47 AM

Stanley Kubrick's Boxes is a fine little doc, but hardly worth another dip on a title I don't care much about.

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,227 posts

Posted April 10 2012 - 04:12 AM

...however, as this press announcement rolled in today, I couldn't help but ask myself, "how many times does this film need to be re-released to Blu-ray when there are so many other great films that efforts could have been put into?"

I also am a bit perturbed that Warner is re-releasing BDs of these films with new extras and book packaging so soon after the released a Kubrick Boxed set. I now regret having bought it. I guess we should expect this treatment for at least 2001 and The Shining as well when they hit the next anniversary milestone. It would be nice if Warner somehow made the Boxes Doc and whatever else new that might come out to those who bought the boxed set.
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,262 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted April 10 2012 - 04:16 AM

Also, they started this right away with the Clockwork Orange digibook -- which I went for, since it included the Kubrick doc I needed (there was no other reason for me to get the box set).  I'll bet you're right, and they do it for all of them.  Talk about a long agonizing path to double/triple-dipping.

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,548 posts

Posted April 10 2012 - 11:23 AM

Ronald J Epstein

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,312 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted April 10 2012 - 02:34 PM

So basically the hardcore fan is going to have to pay $25 for a one hour documentary that should have been included on any of the previous Kubrick releases and they'll also have a second copy of a disc that they own at least once on Blu-ray already? Things like that are why I think Warners has fallen far from where they used to be.

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   AdrianTurner

AdrianTurner

Second Unit

• 398 posts

Posted April 10 2012 - 05:43 PM

Personally, I would say the documentary is worth the price of the whole set - it was shown only once on British TV at 48 minutes (one hour minus the ad breaks) so this may possibly be a longer version. It's Outstanding, better even than FMJ!

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,464 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted April 10 2012 - 07:53 PM

It has been screened several times on Sky Arts.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   AdrianTurner

AdrianTurner

Second Unit

• 398 posts

Posted April 10 2012 - 11:13 PM

Ah . . . I don't allow Rupert into my home!

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,733 posts

Posted April 11 2012 - 06:16 AM

I bought this once on dvd. The very first full screen(terrible quality) dvd of the Stanley Kubrick Collection. Since then I have planned to rebuy it to upgrade. It is one of the titles that I just never got around to re-purchasing....and believe me I have noticed how many times this one has been re-released. I think this may be the upgraded version for me to buy. But I can tell you without question it will be the last time I purchase it.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"